SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#319117 - 03/12/11 07:06 PM Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
How many use the list below, and how do you use them?

1-The four variations of the style.
2-The OTS assigned instruments for the four variations.
3-The pads.
4-And use more than one style in the same song.
5-Use Favoritws for additional instruments.
6-Use Panel memory in Normal mode with Band setups.

Using more than one style allows you to have different OTS sets of four instruments. I have gone from Big Band Up to Slow ballad in the same tempo, same song – what an effect.
Please share your ideas, John C.

#319123 - 03/12/11 07:33 PM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
OOPS Somehow hit the wrong button and posted before I was ready. Will try again.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (03/12/11 07:35 PM)

#319125 - 03/12/11 07:52 PM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
Bob Hendershot Offline

1. Yes
2. No
3. Sometimes but rarely
4. Yes - I almost always copy the styles that I want to use into Composer memories as a part of the song setup. Then I use the panel memories to select the appropriate Composer memory while I am playing the song.
5. No
6. No

I use eight or more panel memories for each song, that are set up with appropriate rhythm and voicing for the portion of the song I am playing. That gives me access to every rhythm and voice that is available in the entire keyboard for the panel memory that I am using at that time. I increment through the panel memories as I am playing, using a foot pedal. I seldom have to look at the keyboard when I am playing because there is no need to poke at buttons while I am playing the song.

#319142 - 03/13/11 04:38 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Bob and me do it exactly the same way...it seems...
Rog

#319148 - 03/13/11 08:54 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JOHN: Several weeks ago you and I had an email exchange about this very subject....How do each of us set up our 7K's to play our music. We decided to put our program's on floppy disc and mail to each other.....I am still waiting for your floppy and address.

BOB & ROGER: How about considering an exchange of floppy's? From what I am reading here each person has a unique way to set up a program and play. Seems to me we might all gain a great deal in sharing via floppy disc exchange.

EVERYONE who will exchange floppies via "snail mail" with me will receive one in return..... Send a private email with your address to receive a floppy of my most current program. The alternative is to acquire my snail mail address to send a floppy of your most currnt program and I will return same to you.

To see the lights come on when a floppy created by another player goes into the machine is an accurate way to share this valuable information IMO...Just reading what others do is just not the same thing....

"Show & Tell" works best for me.... SD cards will not work for me because they have become very scarce...(1G size)...

Elizabeth

#319162 - 03/13/11 11:25 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Elizabeth, I am not confident that I fully understand what you are looking for when you ask for our “program”. If you are talking about how the panel memories are set up, the answer is that they are different and unique for each song. If you are talking about how a gig is set up, you can’t get that on a floppy disk. In my case it is dependent on use of a SD card because I use SD Favorite Songs as the method of loading the setup for each song. That data is located in the KN7000mn.inf file of the SD card along with other stuff such as the long song names that are used by the keyboard. A floppy disk load cannot interpret that file. And I’m not anxious to go through the hassle of mailing floppy disks, anyway. Let me try this.

Assume that you want to set up panel memories for each section of the song that you want to play. Select the voicing and rhythm that you want to use at the start of the song. Save that into Panel Memory Bank A, memory 1. Then, as you progress through the song you should find a point that you feel a need to change rhythm and/or voicing. Make that change and save it into PM Bank A memory 2. Proceed through the song and as you find the next point that you want a change, make the change and save that in the next panel memory proceeding through PM Bank A from 1 to 8. If you need more changes move to Bank B memory 1 and continue through memory 8. If you still need more changes, move to Bank C memory 1 and continue through memory 8. That gives you 24 possible changes in rhythm and/or voicing for each song. And, you have the option of choosing any of all the rhythms and voices that exist in the entire keyboard for each panel memory. You can also make changes in tempo as well, as you progress through the song. All you have to do is touch the foot switch that increments panel memory at the appropriate time, and the keyboard will be set up the way you want it for the next portion of the song.

When you have the panel memories set up in the way you want for that song, save the song to your SD card in a SD memory location, using a song name appropriate for the song. Let the KN7000 decide what files to save by using the default settings. The SD load and save is so fast that it isn’t worth taking the time to be selective about what files of the keyboard are saved. When you have finished this, you have a keyboard that is set up for a specific song with rhythms and voicing that are unique for that song. It’s like having a room full of KN7000’s, each of which is ready to play a specific song. All you have to do is move to the next keyboard to play the next song. The SD load process is so fast, that you can “create” that next keyboard in less than 5 seconds with the SD load.

When you use this method (And it is not necessarily the best. It is only one method.), you really need to use foot switches. The Panel Memory selection buttons on the KN7000 are not very well ergonomically designed for manually selecting on the fly.

I use all six foot switches that are available for the KN7000. They are used for: (1) Rhythm Start/Stop, (2) Fill-in 1, (3) Fill-in 2, (4) Panel Memory Increment, (5) Panel Memory Decrement, (6) Intro/Ending 1. I put notations on my lead sheet that indicate where I usually want Panel Memory changes, or Fill-in’s, etc.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (03/13/11 11:40 AM)

#319182 - 03/13/11 05:28 PM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Just a short note ---
First, Elizabeth I did not forget you, every time I open my mail I see your name. Cataract surgery for my wife, my music partner had hip surgery followed by another operation for hernia, and me, I have struggled with a cough/cold that held on for five weeks. Since mid-January there has been a constant flow of sickness among my closest friends. My friend George has to stop playing his guitar, his hands will not allow it anylonger. He has played all his life and we have played every Friday morning for the last three years. As for myself I feeling great now, finally, but it is a bit scary.
As far as this topic goes, the one I started, I feel we need to add to our post how we are using our keyboard. If one is working with singers and putting on a show and another plays mostly at home, and still another is playing Gigs/Jobs – the method of operation must be different.

My reason for this post is that I am discovering new ways to use my keyboard for a listening audience – no dancing. I take a song like Green Street and take it through every feeling that I can up with displaying the ability of the Kn7000. Drums being added, moods changing, and many instrument changes -- Classical musicians may refer to that as variation on a theme. (Ops, a poor example, I tried)
I will do my best to record what I am talking about, hearing will explain far more than my words.
John C.

#319214 - 03/14/11 06:23 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I use two different methods, when playing at gigs. I go out with a guy who plays guitar and sings the 60s and 70s songs and the gigs are generally of the 'Dinner and Dance' type.
During the time the guests are eating, I generally play a selection of 'background' music - ballads, standards, evergreens etc. using either normal styles (built-in, composer or self made) and they serve the purpose well. I use the Panel memories and footswitches, more or less as described by Bob, with the set-up for each song/tune individually loaded from an SD file.

When the guests have finished eating and want to 'shake a leg', I use a different technique, when accompanying my singing guitar player. We try to get an authentic representation of each of the 60s and 70s songs, with all the 'licks' and nuances included, and this is just not possible using 'normal' 4 measure, repetative styles from any source. To this end, by listening to the original recordings, I make my own Composer style for each song, generally using 8, 12 or 16 measure Variations, with Intro, Ending and Fill-Ins if necessary. Sometimes a song 'Style' can be implemented just using the 4 Variations in Composer Bank A, but often they require additional Variations, so I use Composer B and on rare occasions - Composer C also. This entails a considerable amount of work, as you can imagine, but I enjoy the challenge and a successful outcome is very satisfying !

Having constructed all the parts of a song in the composer, I then create a Sequence, without using the Right1, Right2 and Left parts, but include the Control Track which takes care of all the Panel Memory changes, together with any Fill-In, Performance Pad, Technichord etc. triggers - no need to use footswitches or any of the Panel Controls. Since I don't use 'The Dots', this means that every performance of a song, will have an identical accompaniment - as the singer would expect - but it still leaves me free to extemporise, and add instrumental solo parts as required, using Right1, Right2 and Left voices, while the sequence is playing. So basically, I use the Sequencer and Composer, to create a complete individual 'Style' for a song. Each song set-up and sequence, is loaded from SD Card, as normal.

Most of the songs here : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page9.html (between numbers 117 and 194, which are 60s/70s, Beatles, ABBA etc.), were created this way and are some of our songs used during gigs. They are used without the melody line, of course - since this is added as a vocal.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#319236 - 03/14/11 10:50 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
etwo4788 Offline

BOB...WOW! It would be so much easier(for me)if you would pack up an RV and come out here to NM and be my neighbor for a few years...I might have a chance to learn maybe half of what you know about the 7K!!!

What I mean by "program" is whatever is loaded on one of the SD card "folders." Each of my Panel Memories (PM) has a rhythm I have tweaked to my hear. From time to time I change the instruments in the rhythm, and also those in the "Sound Memory." These are also "tweaked" to my hear. The instruments in my rhythm selections are also changed/tweaked for my hear.

Each "Memory Bank" has a title. Bank A is Latin Rhythms, B is "Super Good Sounz", C is "Piano Combo's"...then Jazz, Big Band, etc... The whole KB is set up for each PM, many overlap. The Performance Pads are also included. There is nothing I do that seems at all "special." Just really basic stuff that works quite well for me. Imagining making 8 changes of PM's with rhythm, instruments, timing, etc. changing in one song....WOW!

I would love to hear your method of setting up your 7K for just one song! That sounds like real intensive labor! Thank you for the wonderfully detailed description on just how you accomplish all that you do! It appears that you use just about every option available! Somehow it sounds like it is a real challenge to create the changes that are made between each PM! Slicing up one song into 8 pieces just boggles my mind!

For me, starting with a piano in RT 1, a mellow alto sax in RT2, and an Elec Bass in LFT... During play it is easy to turn either RT 1 or 2 off, engage the performance pad, move up or down a step in the "Music Style Arranger" (MSA) and turn the "Sound Arranger" (SA) on/off. All of this is done "on the fly".... I do have the six foot switches set up like yours although I do not use them at all anymore.

All that you do is just amazing! I would love to watch and hear you play! Thank you so much for all the wonderful sharing you do! Bob...you are a treasure!

Elizabeth

#319237 - 03/14/11 11:15 AM Re: Sharing ideas that make you song more interesting [Re: bruno123]
etwo4788 Offline

BILL NORRIE....

I LOVE your website! Your music is beautiful! I go there often just to browse and listen.

The method of set up and play you use is yet another very wonderful way to get so much from the AWESOME 7K!

Once in awhile I have an urge to just sit down and play whatever wants to flow from my fingers. Usually nothing that I would want anyone to hear! Which comes first, the melody in the head or the melody from the fingers?? My eldest daughter composes, sings and plays whatever instrument she fancies...by hear or dots! I keep thinking that if she can do that....surely I could learn?

So far I have not even toyed with the "Composer" or much with the sequencer either. The "Control Track" you mention in your description of what you do with the sequencer...I will have to take a look at that for more clarity....

There is so much to learn about this wonderful KB...and so little time just to play and enjoy sharing with others! As long as my audiences of "elders" are happy with my music, I am even happier!

I still think we all aught to hire a cruise ship just for us...we would not need any "Activities Director" to keep us happy, just several 7K's all together and our pockets full of our own SD cards and music for those who need to see the dots!
Good food would be a must as well... Nothing else would be required or wanted...That would be a paradise!

Elizabeth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online