SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#319674 - 03/20/11 06:30 AM Expansion Cards ?
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

wave Good Sunday everyone!

I am looking for the four expansion cards EW 01, 02 03 and 04 for the KN7000 - or am I?.......... Silly question it may seem, but I will explain.

I had a KN6000, which only accepted 2 expansion boards - but as I had used one of them for the EW65 board, which upgraded the keyboard to KN6500 'spec' - there was only room for one other card, so I just installed the EW 01.

When I installed the EW 65 Upgrade it added about (I think) another 50-odd new voices, that integrated into the music finder system. However, when I added the EW01 card, you had to access those voices via a separate menu, which was not really handy for changing voices 'on the fly'.

So !! - If I look for and purchase the 4 expansion boards for the KN7000 - will the contents integrate seamlessly into the keyboard menu, or- like the 6500, only be accessible via another separate Menu. If they integrate, I would love to have them, if they don't, I am not really sure !!!

I assume another thing is, that if you used these sounds in a recording, and sent the file to someone who didn't have those boards - the recording might sound a little strange ??

Kind regards, bow

John

#319706 - 03/20/11 01:36 PM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Tony Deaf Offline

I forgot to add - 'Do all the voices come up as a separate Menu when the 'EW Expansion' button is pressed' - As I have no boards, I can't check !!

John

#319708 - 03/20/11 02:37 PM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John,

The extra voices on the 'EW' range of cards, are accessed via the 'EW Expansion' button on the KN7000 - as you have stated. They appear on the display, as sounds in coloured text, rather than white text, but are not integrated within the lists of built-in sounds. Like the built-in sounds, if I remember correctly, they can be included within Panel Memory settings, for normal use.

One disadvantage associated with the modules is - as you suspect - that if you record a sequence using any of the EW sounds, then other users will not be able to play back these sounds, unless they have the particular EW module installed in their KN7000. In this scenario, the other user's KN7000 will substitute what it considers to be the nearest built-in sound.

The EW modules occasionally appear on eBay, but I haven't seen them for some time now......

#319710 - 03/20/11 03:39 PM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Bill Norrie]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
HiJohn

There are 3 or 4 of these expansion boards for sale on ebay at the moment.
Ebay: Catogeries/Keyboards/Technics

Regards
Peter B

#319744 - 03/21/11 05:39 AM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: peter b]
Tony Deaf Offline

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses. I think after hearing what you say, on balance, I really don't see much on the 'Positive' side, for purchasing the expansion cards. Perhaps further down the line, as there are just loads of voices already to explore for a new user. A trumpet will always sound like a trumpet, even if you super-dooper articulate it or whatever.... Joe Public (your audience), will still just hear a trumpet !!

Only sound I miss from Yamaha days is the 'Growl Sax'. I am sure it can be more or less produced in the 7000 by guys with the experience, like the above !!

regards,

John

#319805 - 03/21/11 03:18 PM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
peter b Offline

Hi John
There are 3 'Growl' Saxes in the Sound Explorer section.
Alto, Tenor, and Barotone which are reasonably useful and act as a good starting.
You may already have found them but I thought I'd just mention
them

Regards
Peter B

#319886 - 03/22/11 02:26 PM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi John,
While I haven't tried this with every voice on my expansion cards, I've been able to take many and go to Voice Edit and then select Tone to see that the expansion card voice is made from the original tones in the keyboard. Add the same processing, change the name and put it into Sound Memory. Now you have an expansion voice that any KN7000 can play. When I was sharing songs with other Zoners I never heard of any problems with the new voices.
Of course this doesn't solve your need to get the voices on the fly.
Frank

#319928 - 03/23/11 05:52 AM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Frank Bez]
Tony Deaf Offline

That sounds a great idea, Frank - and in light of that, I will try and get just one Expansion board, before I commit to all four, which for a poor old pensioner, would be a large amount of money! This way, I can experiment, and try the results of 'tweaking' as well as whether I find them of real use to me.

Thank you for the responses to my questions,

John

#319945 - 03/23/11 08:36 AM Re: Expansion Cards ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
peter b Offline

Hi John.
When the Expansion boards came out if I remember right they were around £200 each.
So not very many people could afford them.
I had some in my first KN7 but when I changed to Tyros I let them go together with the keyboard in part ex. Now I am back with the KN7 I wish I had have kept them but like Frank says you can get some very good voices by tweeking the one you have.

peter b

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online