SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#318737 - 03/09/11 08:31 AM 'TECHNICS LINKS' Page.
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Hello Nigel, (or anyone with a key to 'Moderate' !). juggle

Sadly the 'Technics Links' Page on this site is very much out of date, and needs amending, as I am sure many people must waste an inordinate amount of time trying to access non-existent pages.

If it would help - here are the 18 links out of the 40, that are 'Faulty' ......

Technics USA Leads only to current Panasonic Items

Panasonic UK 'Page Not Found'

Technics Reviews 'Page Not Found'

Technics Copy Program 'Page Not Found'

Technics For All 'URL For Sale' - Carries Adverts

KN Series Megapop 'Page Not Found'

KN6000 - Easy Style Copy 'Page Not Found'

KN6000 Site 'Site Now Closed'

KN7000/6000/3000 Larry Grossmeyer 'Page Not Found'

Technics Keyboard Styles 'Page Not Found'

Technote No Longer Deals in Keyboards!

WSA1-Dirks WSA1 Pages 'Page Not Found'

WSA1-The Unnufficial WSA1 Pages Last Updated 1999

Rene Jansens Homepage Page won't open for me !!

KN3000 Midi Music Club Not updated since 2000

KN3000/5000-Joe and Shirley Not Updated since 2001

KN7000-KESO Not updated since 2006 - Many links not working.

Can these please be removed ??, or those that are still online, a note added that they have not been updated since .... ??

What a great pity these have all fallen by the wayside, and what excellent resources have been lost! One can only assume that the site owners have lost interest, or have switched to other Brands. confused1

Kind regards to all,

John wave

#319293 - 03/15/11 12:38 AM Re: 'TECHNICS LINKS' Page. [Re: Tony Deaf]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Deaf

Hello Nigel, (or anyone with a key to 'Moderate' !). juggle

Sadly the 'Technics Links' Page on this site is very much out of date, and needs amending, as I am sure many people must waste an inordinate amount of time trying to access non-existent pages.

If it would help - here are the 18 links out of the 40, that are 'Faulty' ......

Thanks Tony for reporting those to me. That's all it takes for me to look into it and make updates. Though it would have made more sense to email or personal message me rather than post it here. But there are a few things you need to take into account. Links on the internet change all the time. There are 1000s of links here at Synth Zone to keep track of. Some of these have just relatively recently changed and I will find the new ones now you have reported them if I can.

"people waste an inordinate amount of time" ... well I doubt that because most are only looking at the few they are interested in, not clicking through them all like you did even though you weren't really interested in most of those models and were just interested in finding what links were active. Though I do appreciate that.

As for sites not being updated for many years .... that is NOT at all an issue. I don't expect sites for keyboards that are 5 - 30 years old to ever be updated, but the information they do have is still relevant to someone that suddenly acquires one of those old keyboards ... they really don't care that the information wasn't added recently. Even if those sites have some bad links as long as they still have some relevant content I will keep the link on the page. And they will still be there as long as they are active. Even when they disappear if I can find a freeze dried archive on the Wayback machine then I will replace the link with that. And of course those pages will never be updated. And until I am very sure the site or it's archive cannot be recovered I will leave the link in place even when it seems to not be working. I guess you would have to have tried to maintain a links list for more than a decade to understand this. I have been doing this for 17 years now and having a bad link for a year or more isn't a big deal in the long run if it can be restored. And a link can be faulty one day then good again a month later so it always pays to be cautious about permanently removing a link because it can't be found. But you were right there were some bad ones there.

Quote:

Technics USA Leads only to current Panasonic Items

There are still Technics turntables and mixers on that page so that link is still fine. And the links to manual downloads accompanying that link are still valid for Technics keyboards.

Quote:

Panasonic UK 'Page Not Found'

You are correct, they changed the support URL. But clicking on the "Support" tab on that page did take you to the correct page that allowed keyboard manual downloads. I have fixed that now so it goes directly there.

Quote:

Technics Reviews 'Page Not Found'

Yep Harmony Central are just changing over URLs and I will replace it with the new URL when they have Technics working again. None of their Arranger reviews are currently available but I expect that to change. I will leave this until they resolve it ... hopefully.

Quote:

Technics Copy Program 'Page Not Found'
KN6000 - Easy Style Copy 'Page Not Found'

Replaced with my own copy of the file here at Synth Zone.

Quote:

KN7000/6000/3000 Larry Grossmeyer 'Page Not Found'

Replaced with the web.archive.org archive.

Quote:

WSA1-The Unofficial WSA1 Pages Last Updated 1999

It doesn't matter people just getting an old WSA1 keyboard for the first time still want that info.

Quote:

KN3000 Midi Music Club Not updated since 2000

It doesn't matter people just getting an old KN3000 keyboard for the first time still want info and files that IS there. NOTE: The URL is from web.archive.org which means this site doesn't exist and is a web archive. While some files are not available some are. Don't EVER expect sites at web.archive.org to ever be updated .... they don't exist anymore. Note the description does tell you "An archive of a website" so it should be no surprise. That's why there are descriptions.

Quote:

KN3000/5000-Joe and Shirley Not Updated since 2001

Another web.archive.org site.

Quote:

KN7000-KESO Not updated since 2006 - Many links not working.

Until there is no valid content here the link will remain. If you ignore all websites with many links not working you will be missing out on much online content.

Quote:

Can these please be removed ??, or those that are still online, a note added that they have not been updated since .... ??

I will remove any that have no content and have disappeared and are not archived at web.archive.org
Thanks so much for reporting those links that were bad.

#319312 - 03/15/11 07:03 AM Re: 'TECHNICS LINKS' Page. [Re: Nigel]
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Thank you Nigel for the obvious amount of work that you put into my request. I appologise for causing any alarm or despondency. It was not written with any malicious intent, but to keep everything neat and tidy.

Unlike yourself, I believe new owners will go through all the Links, as I did, when I purchased my first Technics Keyboard just over a year ago. I think 'Newbies' will look everywhere for subject matter on their keyboard.

I did go through all the links again, over the last few months, when searching for interesting and useful content for the resource Forum I set up for all Technics Keyboards and Organs.

Like yourself, I feel there can never be enough info, material, programs, etc., available on the internet with information and articles being submitted to help others as we have in turn been helped in the past.

Please keep up the great work you do in SZ, its a hard and mainly thankless task, and those who havn't done it just don't appreciate the work required.

Kindest regards,

John

#319416 - 03/15/11 10:29 PM Re: 'TECHNICS LINKS' Page. [Re: Tony Deaf]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Deaf
I appologise for causing any alarm or despondency. It was not written with any malicious intent, but to keep everything neat and tidy.

Please keep up the great work you do in SZ, its a hard and mainly thankless task, and those who havn't done it just don't appreciate the work required.

Kindest regards,

John

Thanks so much John for pointing out the problems I really do appreciate it, it was a very welcome change having someone else spend the time going through all those links. But I never get alarmed lol eek2 I just thought I should point out why I think a number of those links deserve to remain. But you were also right on the mark in pointing out that some needed fixing.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online