SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#317196 - 02/21/11 12:11 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Ahh okay cool thanks Diki, I will investigate the methods..

Yes I did notice the conflict of images on that page.....but it was where I got the info re: marker

I concur that the term mark OR marker appears no-where in any Roland literature, or even on the web. It got my interest piqued as markers are a great tool, and it would have enhanced the growing interest for me about this module...

We COULD write to Roland support I suppose, but by the time they answered, Fran would already have one and could tell us wink laugh

Dennis

#317283 - 02/22/11 12:36 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
So, suppose you want to add this to a Tyros 2. How would that be accomplished AND most importantly would there be a way to quickly change from an onboard Tyros style on one song and the next song use a Roland module style?

What about having a quick set up to use the module style and Tyros 2 voices on some and sometimes use both the Roland styles and voices. Not to mention using a Yamaha style with Roland voices.

Unless this would be relatively easy and be able to quickly switch I don't think this would be a great set-up??

One thing I do know I would never again try to do something like I did with a Technics KN2600 and Tyros. I wanted to get the Technics styles to play Yamaha voices.hahahaha What a screwed up process and results that turned out to be.

If only the KN2600 would have sounded as good to me as the PSR2000 I would have been happy. As it was that kb was not to my liking at all. I was even able to buy it at the closeout wholesale price from Technics and even then it wasn't worth it to me. Each to there own, no put down intended.

Anybody have any input on this at all? I'm pretty green at this. I'm thinking that the setting can't be saved on a Tyros 2 and that I'd have to go in every time I wanted to use the module and pick what channels to to whatever. And then do it in reverse to go back to the Tyros. Any ideas?

#317293 - 02/22/11 06:24 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: Scott Langholff]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott,If I was setting a combination as you mentioned on a "Roland", it is simple and effective..

By setting the rx and tx data and turning off "local" for the parts you do not want to hear from the controlling keyboard ..On G70,E50,60,80..these settings are saved to a "user program"..similar to Yamaha registrations..

Earlier Roland models (G1000) were saved to "midi sets" and not the "performances".

What you need to find out...can Yamaha save the midi data to a registration?..If the settings of the "MIDI" data is saved as "Global" only (I find this hard to believe}..than you would have to live with a single setting and change when needed..this would be a pre mid 80's limitation, and I doubt any manufacturer would limit midi save this way...

Check you MIDI save options on the Tyros2..You are looking for the ability to save a midi set up...ideally with a registration or a link to a registration...

The rest of your project will be setting the rx, tx and locals..

#317354 - 02/22/11 03:11 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Combining the Tyros and the BK would be difficult by themselves. Simply put, the Yamaha's simply aren't designed as flexible MIDI controllers.

Your better bet is a two keyboard system, with a controller keyboard on the bottom, for Roland arranger section and both Roland and Yamaha lead voices (get a controller with two independent MIDI outs), and the Tyros for control of its own arranger section and just Yamaha lead voices. Yes, you CAN get the Yamaha to control lead voices in the BK, but it's a PITA and convoluted.

Ideally, a 76 bottom keyboard and the T2 as top, you've got a pretty good system there. But having the Yamaha play some Internal voices for a style and some external on the BK would be tricky. And vice versa, TBH. Plan on doing a LOT of detail style editing if you want to achieve this.

It might be interesting to clock the Yamaha from the BK (or vice versa) and have TWO styles going on at the same time, and just use Part mutes to select which one plays which Part... But getting them both to change Var's and fills is going to be tricky. If you can find a master controller that will allow ONE button to send two DIFFERENT MIDI commands on different outputs and MIDI channels, you might be able to pull this off. Sadly, no two manufacturers use the same MIDI codes for the exact same function rolleyes

But a BK from a T2? I doubt that that can be done satisfactorily unless you want only the very minimum communication between the two.

#317362 - 02/22/11 03:36 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds like WAY too much work for me. I can probably be happy with either one. I'll try the BK before I decide. I'll get one with trial period.
DonM

#317369 - 02/22/11 03:46 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Yes...do it the way DIKI said.
I have a lot of experience in this area...and to be honest don't expect to have full control of arranger X from arranger Y.
It ain't gonna happen...
But a top notch MIDI second lower KB, with multi zones and 2 MIDI outs..well you can do a lot.
You will have to send some serious time to get it all working.
Maybe add a Korg Nano control too.
Also, to get the most cntrol...you may need to add a PC. (Oh No!)

#317372 - 02/22/11 04:01 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dennis... seems we need to talk to Roland BAD... There are FOUR buttons there just BEGGING to be used as four Markers in SMF mode. Just like the G70/E80.

Coincidence? I think NOT!

They already have the code. All it needs is slotting into the OS.

Next BIG thing is some rudimentary tempo mapping on .wav's and mp3's, so the same thing could be done with audio files, too. That might also allow for simultaneous arranger/SMF and audio file use, too.

#317388 - 02/22/11 04:33 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
Dennis... seems we need to talk to Roland BAD... There are FOUR buttons there just BEGGING to be used as four Markers in SMF mode. Just like the G70/E80.

Coincidence? I think NOT!

They already have the code. All it needs is slotting into the OS.

Next BIG thing is some rudimentary tempo mapping on .wav's and mp3's, so the same thing could be done with audio files, too. That might also allow for simultaneous arranger/SMF and audio file use, too.

Agree totally!!

With what I am learning about the PA3, the option of the BK7 teamed with either the Kronos or a Yamaha XS, or XF 7 is looking better and better. It would be further enhanced again if they (Roland) implemented your suggestions there for sure!!

Dennis

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online