SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#316912 - 02/18/11 03:36 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
George that also tallies with the Roland advice out here, end of March.

Spoke to my dealer m8, on Thursday....he already has orders for 12!!! Not including the one I MIGHT buy! And he is just one outlet (okay he IS one of the bigger ones, but still just one outlet)

I think some folks are going to miss out on the first shipment!

#316914 - 02/18/11 03:39 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: miden
One could probably program that into a Behringer FCB I'd reckon. It does use the only available MIDI port though, and then one would need to use the thru options (ie keyboard to FCB to BK.

Not recommended for the split second midi-clock timing required to trigger chord changes.

But it could work.

Not sure what you are getting at there, Dennis. The FC-7 does NOT use a MIDI port (it has its own dedicated nine-pin DIN input). And, I don't THINK I can remember a Roland arranger with the ability to turn Melody Intell on/off with a MIDI command (can you?).

About the only way I think you could do this at the moment is to set up UPG pairs, with one with Mel/Intel on, and one with off, and then use UPG up/down as a way to enable/disable it.

#316930 - 02/18/11 04:45 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Not sure what you are getting at there, Dennis. The FC-7 does NOT use a MIDI port (it has its own dedicated nine-pin DIN input). And, I don't THINK I can remember a Roland arranger with the ability to turn Melody Intell on/off with a MIDI command (can you?).

About the only way I think you could do this at the moment is to set up UPG pairs, with one with Mel/Intel on, and one with off, and then use UPG up/down as a way to enable/disable it.

Yeah I know that,the FC7 has its own port(I did own a G70 and an FC7, remember wink )

And no, not via a MIDI command, but the FCB allows you to program Sysex messages to each of the pedals instead smile

I am sure I read somewhere the Roland sysex data to do this, of course maybe I am remembering incorrectly??? But I am pretty sure there were the strings somewhere...I could not be bothered as I owned the FC7

Dennis

#316939 - 02/18/11 08:09 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was just thinking about using one with a "dumb" controller. The Edirol has plenty of buttons, knobs, slider, etc., to call up any sound you want from the Roland. I suppose a synth or another arranger would add the sounds from it too, but wouldn't it be hard to use sounds from both or either and not have them get in each other's way? How would you set that up?
I tried controlling a Midjay from different arrangers, but never could figure out an easy way to use, say, piano from the controller, then guitar from the module without hearing both. Of course I didn't try very hard, so maybe I'm just ignorant of the techology. I guess you could use a volume pedal on each, but I'm already going to be using a 7-button foot controller, and a sustain pedal. I'm running out of feet.
DonM

#316942 - 02/18/11 08:17 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Took a look back through my G70 sys-ex implementation. I might have missed it, but I couldn't find a sys-ex to turn Mel/Intell on/off anywhere...

Definitely something to contact Roland about and task to the FC-7, even if you COULD do it with sys-ex, I feel.

#316944 - 02/18/11 09:19 PM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Took a look back through my G70 sys-ex implementation. I might have missed it, but I couldn't find a sys-ex to turn Mel/Intell on/off anywhere...

Definitely something to contact Roland about and task to the FC-7, even if you COULD do it with sys-ex, I feel.

Oh for sure! It would not take too much extra software to add it either.

#316948 - 02/19/11 01:48 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: DonM]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: DonM
I was just thinking about using one with a "dumb" controller. The Edirol has plenty of buttons, knobs, slider, etc., to call up any sound you want from the Roland. I suppose a synth or another arranger would add the sounds from it too, but wouldn't it be hard to use sounds from both or either and not have them get in each other's way? How would you set that up?
I tried controlling a Midjay from different arrangers, but never could figure out an easy way to use, say, piano from the controller, then guitar from the module without hearing both. Of course I didn't try very hard, so maybe I'm just ignorant of the techology. I guess you could use a volume pedal on each, but I'm already going to be using a 7-button foot controller, and a sustain pedal. I'm running out of feet.
DonM

Hi DonM
It will depend on your Arranger, most have separate Midi voice banks (They just select and control external Midi connected modules) which once you have set them up you can use them as if they were a normal voice.
EG. Select a Bassoon for U1, choose a sound from the Midi voice bank (Strings on an SD2 for example) on U2 (And so on) and away you go. (You can also normally save them in a pre-set/registration)
There is a basic introduction here http://www.wersiclub.co.uk/Midi%20with%20Wersi.pdf which is designed for Wersi instruments, but most Arrangers should have something similar.
Hope this helps

Bill

#316966 - 02/19/11 07:22 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Don,
The Korg OS can do this.
Each user voice has full prgrammability of MIDI Bank/Program change. For each User voice you can select anything you want to be sent out to control a external sound module. Also, you can select internal/extenal or both for each voice. So you could have combi's as well.

I had asked Yamaha for that a long time ago..their answer was no, you don't need that as the T2 has everything you need built in. Home keyboard mentality for sre!

#316967 - 02/19/11 07:35 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: cassp]
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Seems to be no registration memory so how to set up a performance with different sounds to change interactively I don't understand. Guess it's not possible? If that is the case it is a very big down side.

Since it's so cheap I will probaly get one to try out with my old organ. Hope it will work with drums only, from the arranger, and the manual bass part for the pedals.

#316969 - 02/19/11 08:10 AM Re: Roland BK-7m [Re: tonkan]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: tonkan
Seems to be no registration memory so how to set up a performance with different sounds to change interactively I don't understand. Guess it's not possible? If that is the case it is a very big down side.

Since it's so cheap I will probaly get one to try out with my old organ. Hope it will work with drums only, from the arranger, and the manual bass part for the pedals.

Roland calls the Registration Memories, UPGs, and they work they same as Registrations.
DonM

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online