SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#315018 - 02/02/11 11:42 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ricki Lee - what a great, unique voice ... Lydia (my wife) won a 5 CD player by identifying her voice in a radio contest a number of years ago ... laugh

Edit: BTW ... Oscar Brown Jr.'s version is the GOLD STANDARD for this tune IMHO ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/02/11 11:47 AM)

#315025 - 02/02/11 12:32 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Ricki Lee - what a great, unique voice ...

Mmmmmmm Skeletons ..... makes me all soft inside. Her breathy, intense vocals at the end .... so sexy, and yet so subtle.

#315031 - 02/02/11 12:57 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... Oscar Brown Jr.'s version is the GOLD STANDARD for this tune IMHO ...

I agree. For this partictular tune, it's all about the lyrics and message, not so much the 'jazz styling'. I think that the message is much cleaner and clearer in Oscar's version. JMO. I like both artists but not really crazy about her version. Love the group behind her, though.

chas

#315036 - 02/02/11 02:23 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not real crazy about either one, but I'm not big on jazz either, so that may have a bearing on things. Of the two links, I'll take Oscar's version.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#316659 - 02/16/11 08:27 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Had the honor of backing Oscar on "Worksong" in 1962 on TV.

That's a song I'd like to record with Chas some day.

Russ

#316689 - 02/16/11 02:19 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Had the honor of backing Oscar on "Worksong" in 1962 on TV.
That's a song I'd like to record with Chas some day.
Russ

Russ and chas bluesbros ... I've got a GREAT idea ... no doubt you both have recording gear ... why not have one of you record a tune, send it to the other and then the second guy records a second (or third or fourth - whatever) track and then you post it for us to hear ... I KNOW it's not going to be the same as doing it together live, so you could play off each other, but I KNOW it would still be GREAT !!!
PLEASE?!?!? bow

#316695 - 02/16/11 03:43 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]

Actually, I am scheduled to be in Atlanta before the end of March. If he'll put up with me, I'd like to get with Chas and do
several songs, including "Work Song", maybe Kenny Rankin's "Hiding Inside Myself" and a couple Chas chooses.

If we get to do that, it would be one of the most enjoyable times of my life.

R.

#316697 - 02/16/11 04:05 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Actually, I am scheduled to be in Atlanta before the end of March. If he'll put up with me, I'd like to get with Chas and do
several songs, including "Work Song", maybe Kenny Rankin's "Hiding Inside Myself" and a couple Chas chooses.

R.

Cant wait to hear them Russ good luck! take pic/videos also for us.

#316702 - 02/16/11 05:41 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

R.

If there is "right" in this world, the two of you will meet, jam, and we will get to hear it ... smile ...

#316866 - 02/18/11 12:58 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Diki]

Diki, I'd like your opinion of the post. Send it by email, if you don't want to include it here. Don't hold back. I know the effects of my physical limitations. These folks have been incredibly kind...too kind. Be assured, I will value your assessment, good or bad.

Nigel is another person...a fellow "picker", that I would be interested in hearing from.

Thanks, everyone!

Russ

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online