SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#314451 - 01/29/11 12:43 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: ianmcnll]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Again, "better" is your feelings on/about the touch...it is very personal. I know several players using PA2xPro and Tyros3, and they aren't brand loyal, but they feel the FSX is better for their purposes.

I should add, that the above statement also has the reverse, in that some would prefer Korg's action over the FSX....plus the 76 note Korg (XPro) might be chosen on it's extra bit of keys.

Damn, this not being able to edit (even within 10 minutes) is a pain. mad

Ian

#314452 - 01/29/11 12:49 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
No Ian, the M3 has a different keybed.

In regard to the comparison, I was only EVER making it from what I think of the two keybeds. Hence I say the PA2 is better than the FSX.

I think Lee is savvy enough to know that this is only MY opinion wink

Yep, I agree he should play both smile It was why I ALREADY said this in the post before yours wink

Dennis

#314453 - 01/29/11 12:52 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Again, "better" is your feelings on/about the touch...it is very personal. I know several players using PA2xPro and Tyros3, and they aren't brand loyal, but they feel the FSX is better for their purposes.

I should add, that the above statement also has the reverse, in that some would prefer Korg's action over the FSX....plus the 76 note Korg (XPro) might be chosen on it's extra bit of keys.

Damn, this not being able to edit (even within 10 minutes) is a pain. mad

Ian

I already assumed you would have thought that smile I believe you have a balanced view on these things, as do I smile

But re-read my posts m8, I am not BAGGING the FSX at all smile

Dennis

#314454 - 01/29/11 12:55 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: miden
No Ian, the M3 has a different keybed.

Dennis

I know we both agree that this is not a pissing contest...they never go anywhere, anyway.

Is there a Korg Workstation with a comparable (or the same) keybed and action to what is on the PA2XPro?

I'd like to have some idea what the PA2XPro's keybed feels like, as I hear that many like the action.

So, you aren't quite sure if you'll be upgrading to PA3X?

What would you need to discover about the new one that would make you decide to get one?

Ian

#314456 - 01/29/11 12:59 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

key-feel: is a "PERSONAL PREFERENCE ISSUE", discussing it or giving an opinion is fruitless as it serves no purpose.....
It "MUST" be determined by the PLAYER themselves after they play it IMO.

#314464 - 01/29/11 01:27 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

I know we both agree that this is not a pissing contest...they never go anywhere, anyway.

Is there a Korg Workstation with a comparable (or the same) keybed and action to what is on the PA2XPro?

I'd like to have some idea what the PA2XPro's keybed feels like, as I hear that many like the action.

What would you need to discover about the new one that would make you decide to get one?

Ian

As far as I know Ian, the keybed Korg Italy used on the PA2xPro, was only used on it. You cannot even compare the PA1xPro as it used a different keybed again. Much lighter in action. Both Fatar, but different models..

I did have noted somewhere, what the actual Fatar model they put in the PA2x was, I will see if I can find it, and maybe you could try a keyboard using the same one??

Now your question re upgrading to the PA3?

I will not be. From what I have managed to learn online (and privately), there has been a slight increase in the number of DNC sounds, re-worked existing styles (not all with DNC either) mostly using the new effects and eq'ing and approx 45 brand newies.

Guitar Mode is STILL only capable of being used in style creation. It has a few more patches and strum patterns.

Styles can still only be edited created loaded in the cumbersome and very awkward "SET" system. IE no individual style loading. NO style previewing either.

Still no PC editing, there are a few more minor things, but to be fair to Korg maybe these will get addressed/fixed with software updates.

The ONLY thing I would consider as truly new is the chord sequencer, and I am no about to drop $4-5k JUST for that. Especially as a chord sequencer app could be developed for Linux, and therefore the new Groove Rack I will be adding to the PA2x.

Dennis

#314466 - 01/29/11 01:51 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: miden]
Dnj Offline

Ian

As far as I know Ian, the keybed Korg Italy used on the PA2xPro, was only used on it. You cannot even compare the PA1xPro as it used a different keybed again. Much lighter in action. Both Fatar, but different models..

I did have noted somewhere, what the actual Fatar model they put in the PA2x was, I will see if I can find it, and maybe you could try a keyboard using the same one??

Now your question re upgrading to the PA3?

I will not be. From what I have managed to learn online (and privately), there has been a slight increase in the number of DNC sounds, re-worked existing styles (not all with DNC either) mostly using the new effects and eq'ing and approx 45 brand newies.

Guitar Mode is STILL only capable of being used in style creation. It has a few more patches and strum patterns.

Styles can still only be edited created loaded in the cumbersome and very awkward "SET" system. IE no individual style loading. NO style previewing either.

Still no PC editing, there are a few more minor things, but to be fair to Korg maybe these will get addressed/fixed with software updates.

The ONLY thing I would consider as truly new is the chord sequencer, and I am no about to drop $4-5k JUST for that. Especially as a chord sequencer app could be developed for Linux, and therefore the new Groove Rack I will be adding to the PA2x.

Dennis

Denis, I don't blame you for not upgrading with the improvements you have stated above the Pa3x could be like The Tyros3 was just an "INBETWEEN" unit...nothing ground breaking but may need to WAIT for the Pa4x to really show some major improvements?

#314476 - 01/29/11 03:15 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Donny, yes I think that will be the case. Or whatever Korg decide to call a PA4X..

Dennis

#314502 - 01/29/11 08:13 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: miden]
Dnj Offline

Donny, yes I think that will be the case. Or whatever Korg decide to call a PA4X..

Dennis

Dennis another thought is why we just buy whatever Keybed we like to play from Fatar and replace it in any arranger KB we like?...

http://www.fatar.com/home_fatar.htm

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8S.htm

Edited by Dnj (01/29/11 08:14 PM)

#314542 - 01/30/11 07:52 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Easier said than done....
Those keybeds are HW only and do not have an encoder.
I don't know...but you would have to be sure the physical aspect AND the electronics would work perfectly or you have a butcher job.

My solution...(maybe :-)...get a T4 and slap a MIDI controller under it. Use the MIDI keybed for everything (easy MIDI setup) and use the T4 keybed for RH3, or whatever.

You can use a Fatar or whatever you wish as the MIDI keybed. All it is is a MIDI message machine. Many types are available these days for pretty low cost and could be 61, 76, or 88.

If you spend som time with the physical setup you can have the lower exactly like a organ...overlapping keys and all.

The only issue it causes me is the darn music stand...my eyes are gtting older (as well as other parts of me) and I would need to get that music stand closer somehow...actually I saw on YPKO that someone did that. Aso, I can get some 'music reading' glasses!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online