SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#314386 - 01/29/11 07:07 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: leeboy
IF you didn't need the VH or attached speakers at all, AND realistic orchestral sound was BIG...would you go T4 or PA3X?

I am much like you, Lee...orchestral sounds are very important to me, as I'm not usually a singer...I'm still waiting for my Tyros4, as delivery was held up by snow squalls (zero visibility).

The Tyros4 has the same excellent FSX keyboard as the Tyros3...the keybed was designed especially for using with SA/SA2 voices and is the same as the one in the Motif...it is, in my opinion, one of the very best semi-weighted actions you can buy today.

If you are concerned about actions, you won't find one better, in my opinion, and I've been playing arrangers since they were first introduced, and Martin Harris was still in short pants. Ha Ha!

This is not a Yamaha pitch...this is from my own experience, and knowing you like playing much the same type of music as I do, I think you will love it.

Hearing Thelmo's performances (and Martin's great NAMM demos) really has me anxiously awaiting my Tyros4.

I hope you get to try one soon, and that you also get to spend some quality time on the Korg PA3X, so you can make an informed decision.

Best wishes,

Ian

#314415 - 01/29/11 10:50 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dave,
Thanks for the input...I do like the action on my PA2...but if the T4 has the same action as the Motif (per Ian)..that ain't all bad either.

I'm not pre-disposed to a speciic action as long as it is PRO quality and not mechanically noisey. And not short throw or narrow keys.

I am originally an organ player...had Conn, Thomas and Yamaha...so if the action is like a Yamaha HS8-t I would be good with that.

Since I play only for fun, and do not sing much (or my wife may leave the house!) lead orchestral voices are critical to me. Piano, Guitars as well. I need a bass that works with 'My Girl'
etc.

I'm cocerned that the new Korg PA3X may have been optimised sound wise for guitar etc and not much has changed with orchestral voicing..but I have to wait and see. Aso, the PA2 has major issues with some of the orchestral voices...and if they dd not fix thoe (I sent them a detailed ist 2 years ago) I will not buy it. These are small issues, but when you play the style I do they really hurt your performance. Someone playing ance music or oher fast stuff would never notice them.

#314417 - 01/29/11 10:53 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Ian,
Is the FSX a full stroke, standard spacing key bed?...and is the initial touch/aftertouch consistant throughout the entire range?

Do the keys actually have some small wieghts under them?

How wold you compare it to the HS8-T?

#314420 - 01/29/11 10:58 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
The Tyros4 has the same excellent FSX keyboard as the Tyros3...the keybed was designed especially for using with SA/SA2 voices and is the same as the one in the Motif...it is, in my opinion, one of the very best semi-weighted actions you can buy today.
I concur ! I love the Tyros 4 key size and feel. cool
Now, (just to upset cgiles) bounce "that said":
Checkout this informative thread to discover the "key size" difference between Korg and Yamaha arrangers that could influence your purchasing decision. juggle

#314421 - 01/29/11 10:59 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
FWIW, Yamahas FSX isn't even close to the action on the PA2X imo (and I suspect Korg will use the same as the PA2 on the PA3).

And in case anyone wonders, yes I owned a Motif XS for some time, so I have real hands-on experience so to speak smile

The keys are shorter on the FSX,(and whilst I did not measure they also felt a little narrower)and the throw is noticeably shorter.

The FSX is a nice enough keybed to play, but it's quite a way below the Korg.

Dennis

#314425 - 01/29/11 11:12 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Ian,
Is the FSX a full stroke, standard spacing key bed?...and is the initial touch/aftertouch consistant throughout the entire range?

Do the keys actually have some small wieghts under them?

How wold you compare it to the HS8-T?

The stroke is longer than the PSR, and I believe the keys are weighted with small weights (my T3 is sold, so I'll have to wait till I get T4 to be certain)...they are also a little narrower than those on the Korg (which on some models, is Fatar), but the narrowness isn't enough to be an issue.

Ah, the HS-8T...I'd say the FSX is easily it's equal...the keys, if I remember, are basically alike...same width...aftertouch is consistent...again, the FSX is one of the finest actions being sold today...not just my opinion, but echoed by the many users of Tyros2/3/4 and the Motif.

Action, like sound, is subjective and personal...Korg devotees will say that the Korg has a "better" action, whilst Yamaha fans will say the FSX is superior. They both can't be wrong.

Best bet is to try them both, preferably side by side...then, add to the equation the type, quantity, and quality of orchestral voices, and then, make your decision.

Ian

#314441 - 01/29/11 11:50 AM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Ian, I feel I can make the comparison as I have owned and played both. As well as a Tyros 2, which I also believe had the FSX.

The throw is shorter on the FSX, the keys are shorter, and the FSX does NOT have weights on the keys, the Korg PA keybeds do.

I agree the narrowness of the keys on the FSX is only marginal, perhaps half a mill??? But it is noticeable, probably more as a "perception/feel" sort of thing, but it does affect.

And I am both a Korg AND a Yamaha devotee... I just cannot afford to have both smile

Please do not misunderstand me, the FSX action is very very good, just the Korg is better. And it just shades the Roland g70, with the G70 being a tad "lighter" in feel.

Dennis

PS: 100% agree, the ONLY way is to physically play them. If it was JUST only about orchestral voices, the Yammies win hands down smile

#314445 - 01/29/11 12:05 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Thank guys...
Well it is a lot abut the orchestral voices (and others as well)
The sound has to inspire me...
I could get used to the FSX because I have small hands anyways (and hands that are getting older!).

At one time I did have the T2 and the PA2XPRO side by side at home...I do remember th Korg feeling more solid and PRO..but I'm not sure it is a problem for me. Fatar does make superb keybeds, my K2600X had Fatar and my PA2XPRO does as well.

I really do think I am going with sound this time.
I already know the Korg is far supeior to the Yamaha in features/editing/programming/configuration, but I plan to spend more time playng and less fiddling around with all that anyways.

I have to say..Telmo's performances have swayed me a lot (others as well). To keep it simple...if he can make the T3/T4 sound that good and make it work for the songs he does...everything must be there that I need.

Like I have said before...if I could get a Yamaha Stagea organ that would be my baby...so maybe a T4 with lower kbd & pedals will get me close.

I may try to find out if Korg did anything earth changing on the PA3 orchesral stuff rather than wait 3 monthes to hear it myself.

#314446 - 01/29/11 12:21 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Lee, in all honesty from the tenor of your posts, the T4/T3 will be a perfect fit for you.

You will find the FSX action quite nice to play smile

I truly would not hold out much hope on the PA3 being that much different on the orchestral side of things. Perhaps only with a select few individual voices, and in my view DNC has quite a ways to go to match the S.A. on the Yamaha.

The PA3, so far on what has been gleaned, is possibly more like a PA2+, rather than a full on total reconstruction of the OS and voice banks. Physically very, very nice (apart from the ugly speaker add-on) but operationally much the same.

So, yeah, go for the Yammie m8, especially if you liked Telmos efforts (excellent btw). You will not get a similar result on the Korg.

Dennis

#314447 - 01/29/11 12:29 PM Re: Korg Pa3X : Frank Ventresca Checks it out @ Namm [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Ian, I feel I can make the comparison as I have owned and played both. As well as a Tyros 2, which I also believe had the FSX.

Please do not misunderstand me, the FSX action is very very good, just the Korg is better. And it just shades the Roland g70, with the G70 being a tad "lighter" in feel.

Dennis

PS: 100% agree, the ONLY way is to physically play them. If it was JUST only about orchestral voices, the Yammies win hands down smile

Hi Dennis...I have played Korg Workstations...the M3 for instance...would it have the same action as the PA2X/PA3X? If not, what Korg workstation would have a comparable action?

I can try the workstations, but the dealers will not carry Korg arrangers, so, I'd only be able to compare in that manner.

Again, "better" is your feelings on/about the touch...it is very personal. I know several players using PA2xPro and Tyros3, and they aren't brand loyal, but they feel the FSX is better for their purposes.

For instance, I love the action on the PSR-S910...some don't...yet, it works and feels perfect for me...in fact, I will have to adjust to the FSX.

I had a G-70 here for about 2 weeks, and I didn't like the action as much as the FSX in the Tyros2, but, that may have been influenced by the latter's SA voices and how well the FSX worked with them...the G-70 was no slouch, mind you (Fran and Diki think it has the best keybed, bar none) and I liked how the piano sound/keyboard connection felt, but for the other sounds like Sax, Guitar etc, especially SA, the FSX seemed to be more appropriate

Certainly, Lee should play both before making a decision...I know I would.

Ian

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online