SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#311940 - 01/12/11 09:06 PM Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK, Now this is NOT a mine is better than yours.
I have head comments that the Yamaha Tyros OS is NOT good for live performance.

For those that feel this way I would like to hear specifics about this...please.

Thanks,
Lee S.

#311956 - 01/13/11 12:30 AM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: leeboy
Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf?

Now I wonder, who on earth would think that? shocked I've been playing Tyros 1, 2, and now Tyros 4, in live performance, for many years, and think the Tyros user friendly OS idea for this. Great sounds, styles, registration memory feature, and ease of navigation. On top of its user friendly Os navigation, Tyros 4's new improved vh2 and impressive live sounding drums plus impressively realistic SA voices make it a most terrrific arranger for my live performance needs. smile

#311966 - 01/13/11 03:13 AM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
jazzhooves Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I agree with Scott,
Tyros 4 for me is just incredible. T3 was good, but 4's voices are much better, drums - wow.
As for playing live, well. The registration button system I have always hated as i'm more of a live player and having everything set up on one button is a no no for me.
I tend to choose voices as im playing, so the multi-page menu's for me are a pain in the "ass".
However, for most who use the registration buttons, yes, this keyboard will be easy to use.

I have to say at this point, i wouldnt trade my T4 in for anything on the market now - NEVER! I love it.

#312000 - 01/13/11 08:36 AM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: jazzhooves]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I find no problems with the Tyros4 for live performance, especially since the Music Finder system has been improved. I use mfd in conjunction with registrations and it's seamless for live play. I will comment though, that it's hard to beat Korg's Songbook feature for live play. But the benefits and support for Yamaha arrangers outweigh using a Korg for Songbook.

#312093 - 01/13/11 01:39 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Scott,
This is what was said on another site....

Here are some of my concerns - there are more
1. The ability to switch styles in the middle of a number and maintain tempo (i.e. no tempo lock)
2. The ability to select (ON/OFF) bass inversion during a song - you can do it with several button presses
3. Seeing the length of INTROs (countdown)
4. Being able to play one's own chord sequence for INTROs/ENDINGs
5. Having complete flexible control over FILLs and VARIATIONs - No control over fills - needs FILL buttons
6. Having STYLE part volumes and muting/unmuting available without switching screens.
7. Having AI fingering work for major chords by just playing one key (hasn't worked since Tyros 1 - despite its specification)
8. Screen page management is often a nightmare - would like a one-click-to-home-page or auto return.
9. Too many button hits to get the UPPER sounds ON/OFF and selected.
10. T3 vocal harmonizer is unusable - very poor quality - haven't actually bothered trying the T4's VH but I believe it is better.

One of Yamaha's answers to their OS shortfall is to use REGISTRATIONs - these are NUMBERS and cannot be easily selected unless you remember them all
Overall too many button presses to achieve useful performance features.
It seems that all they have focused on is SOUNDs which would be great if it was a sound module, but as for the "ARRANGER" component it just does not cut it for me
The Tyros, although very nice sounds, is far from a professional arranger.
If you are considering one, PLEASE borrow one and try it - set it up for a performance and you will see what I mean.

What does everyone think of these statements?

Thanks again,
Lee S.

#312102 - 01/13/11 01:52 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I agree with the above comments, having used the Tyros 2, and Korg PA...

#312147 - 01/13/11 02:56 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Dennis,
Is the superb performances by Telmo restrcted by the Tyros live playability?

What more could he need?

Am I missing something?

I don't get it?
Did you even watch some of his perfromances?

Lee S.

#312156 - 01/13/11 03:11 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Lee,

As I said, refer to those comments you posted here from those at the Korg forum...

I don't particularly care HOW someone else uses a keyboard. It's how I use it, and how I want it to run. ( I don't mean that in an nasty way, just, that's the way it is)

The Yamahas fall way behind on the live performance angle for me in much the same ways as they do for Pete and MR N+E

You asked for an opinion, I gave it smile thats all I can do m8.

Dennis

PS: Looking at your last post over at Korg, you would be well pleased with the new PA3x I am sure....If I can find a way, I will be buying one.

It will go really REALLY well with a new module to be released at MusikMesse. And if I cannot find way to buy a PA3x, then my PA2xPro will go really REALLY well with the new module being released at MusikMesse wink

#312159 - 01/13/11 03:20 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm with Scott, Steve and Jazzhooves, although I haven't got a Tyros4 yet, I have a Tyros3, and have used Tyros2 and Tyros extensively.

Some people like Yamaha's OS better than the others...some don't...no big deal...buy what suits you.

I'm enjoying a PSR-S910 at 1/3 the cost of a Tyros, and it's OS is excellent for "live" performance.

To each his own... smile

#312162 - 01/13/11 03:31 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Lee, many of these statements are just wrong. For example, there is a parameter to set the tempo to remain constant when switching styles. There is a one-key chord system, although it is proprietary.
You can play your own intros, endings; just start the style and play them! Play an ending and then hit simple ending one.
The fill system works well. The variation buttons all have their own dedicated fill patterns. If you press the variation you're on, it fills to self. If you press another variation button, it fills to that variation. You can also use intros and endings as fills.
Press exit button to return to main screen. If there are several screens active, press it several times. I can press it 3 times in about 1/2 second.
The T4 harmonizer is much improved and I hated the old one, but it was usable with some editing and setup precautions.
I don't have plans to get another Yamaha right away, but they do have many insightful features in the OS.
Regards,
DonM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online