SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#312546 - 01/15/11 11:46 AM Korg styles quality
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Somebody commented in another thread that Korg styles suck. Hmmm... I do not own a Korg but I came across some converted PA80 styles a few years ago, which I played on Yamaha psr2000 and I really liked those styles. Very much rock-oriented. Which, to me, is lacking in Yamaha styles. If anyone has had a Korg, what do you think of the styles?

#312547 - 01/15/11 11:55 AM Re: Korg styles quality [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Bill,

I've had some Korg Styles converted for Yamaha, and they were really good...they were mostly programmed over 8 bars, which gave them a nice variable quality.

These were from the older I-series, so I suspect they are even better on the newer PA series.

Where Yamaha shines is the sheer volume of great styles available, especially song specific ones, and with today's instruments having such immediate access to hundreds (or thousands) of styles via HD or USB Flashdrives, makes having generic styles suited for many tunes, less important.

I've used Korg styles as donors for making my Frankenstyles as the parts are so variable.

Ian

#312551 - 01/15/11 12:06 PM Re: Korg styles quality [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The Korg styles are superb. I am talking PA2XPRO because that is what I have. So are the Yamaha, Ketron, Roland etc.

Who ever posted that ...well make up your own mind.
IF that was true...do you think they would sells absolutly TONS of PA800/PA2XPROS?

Maybe there mad because they can't find a style for 'Home on the range :-)

OH, never mind I just found one. :-)

Yamaha still however has many more available than anyone else...IMHO.

Lee S.

#312582 - 01/15/11 02:07 PM Re: Korg styles quality [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
FWIW Bill, I think the styles, for the most part, are very good to excellent on the Korg. In particular the Funk and R+B stuff...There are a couple of decent dance/trance/house styles too.

The styles on the Yammies are also excellent. The country, ballroom, pop and middle of the road ones all standouts.

The Roland has Jazz totally covered. The best!!

Ketrons have excellent country and rock.

Now if there were some way we could get them ALL together on one smile

Seriously, I think the comment you read at Korg, was more than likely from someone disgruntled with something or other on THAT day...ask them again in a week and they may have a different view I think. wink

Dennis

#312589 - 01/15/11 02:28 PM Re: Korg styles quality [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Styles may be an even MORE subjective issue than sounds...

Not only does the style have to be in a genre you LIKE, and then nail that genre, it also has to be of the 'density' you like. Some company's styles tend to be busier, some tend to be sparser, and depending on the type of player you are, that makes a big difference. And it's not simply a case of 'turn off the part, then'. There are great busy guitarists, and then there are great basic guitarists. Which ones you prefer playing with depends a lot on whether you are busy or simple yourself.

'There's no pleasing everyone' is SO true when it comes to styles.

#312590 - 01/15/11 02:30 PM Re: Korg styles quality [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
+1

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online