SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#312164 - 01/13/11 03:32 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dennis,
All points well taken. I appreciate your opinions and comments.

I guess to me the SOUND is the most important thing.

When I listen to the performances on T3/T4 I seem to just feel I am listening more to a orchestra performace than the stuff I here on the Korg.
Maybe it's because most of the songs you hear on the Korg is Mid-Eastern? Or is it because the Korg is for a more 'modern' sound, more hip-hop, techno, dance etc??

At any rate, I will take plenty of time to hear the PA3 and the T4 before I would decide to do aything. Mean while I will sell my PA2 and use my MIDI kbd with PC to play using Live-styler.

I do have another question...why is most of the music I love to hear on you-tube etc done on Yamaha not Korg?

Lee S.

#312165 - 01/13/11 03:40 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: leeboy
Dennis,

When I listen to the performances on T3/T4 I seem to just feel I am listening more to a orchestra performace than the stuff I here on the Korg.
Maybe it's because most of the songs you hear on the Korg is Mid-Eastern? Or is it because the Korg is for a more 'modern' sound, more hip-hop, techno, dance etc??

At any rate, I will take plenty of time to hear the PA3 and the T4 before I would decide to do aything. Mean while I will sell my PA2 and use my MIDI kbd with PC to play using Live-styler.

I do have another question...why is most of the music I love to hear on you-tube etc done on Yamaha not Korg?

Lee S.
Dennis,

Lee S.

Lee, I am totally in line with your thinking. I have played the T4 pretty extensively. It is a great keyboard, but probably not for me at this time. I hated the PA800, mainly because of the operating system and lack of variety in styles to fit my type of music, but will certainly audition the 3x. So far, the little Roland Module has my attention the most.
Audya still leads my list of totl keyboards though.
DonM

#312171 - 01/13/11 03:50 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Dennis,

Lee S.

Because there are more people who play that style of music that own a Yamaha??

I dunno m8....What style of music do you like to listen to?

For me the Yammies are too busy in the style department. The EP's are awful (and I see they still have that ghastly Galaxy EP!!!), and the main acoustic is not much better.

Of course all of these on the Motif are superb!!!!

On my Korg I tweak the styles I use to remove all but the bass and drums, and perhaps one guitar, or a brass part IF (and only if) it has a hook that is vital to the song I am playing.

I am trying to achieve the same sort of balance and sound I had in my four and three piece bands...Plus audiences get more of "the player" and less of the machine.

I also play both with both hands generating chords in full piano mode using the Expert setting.

And the Songbook is in a league ALL it's own...I know people fuss over the Yamaha MF, and registrations, but imagine those two in ONE package...that is what the songbook is all about. And it saves everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you have set up to play a song!!

I don't know if that gives you any more insights, but it's a few more reasons why I prefer the Korg to the Yammie.

Dennis

#312172 - 01/13/11 03:50 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM
Press exit button to return to main screen. If there are several screens active, press it several times. I can press it 3 times in about 1/2 second.
DonM

A quick way to get back to main screen if several screens are active, is to press Direct Access and then Exit.

Works the same on PSR.

Ian

#312180 - 01/13/11 03:55 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The DA button is very powerful, particularly if you learn all the shortcuts available.
DonM

#312182 - 01/13/11 03:56 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Press exit button to return to main screen. If there are several screens active, press it several times. I can press it 3 times in about 1/2 second.
DonM

A quick way to get back to main screen if several screens are active, is to press Direct Access and then Exit.

Works the same on PSR.

Ian

Still two button presses and not one wink

#312185 - 01/13/11 04:02 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: miden
DonM

Works the same on PSR.

Ian

True...but it's never been an issue.

It might be for you...especially if you're slow. wink

#312251 - 01/13/11 06:35 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've played every Yamaha arranger keyboard up to the T3 and from my perspective they're excellent for live performances. My dead time between songs is essentially zero seconds. I can switch to any screen I need in the blink of an eye, and I can do this while performing a song. The secret to effectively using any brand of keyboard during liver performances is knowing the operating system--something that damned few people ever take the time to learn.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#312256 - 01/13/11 06:56 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
DonM

Works the same on PSR.

Ian

True...but it's never been an issue.

It might be for you...especially if you're slow. wink

laugh Nah, just a pita, especially when there are better ways... BIG wink

#312259 - 01/13/11 07:07 PM Re: Why do some say Tyros OS is no good for live Perf? [Re: leeboy]
miden Offline

On a serious note, I always have all my setups, well, setup so that live I never need to go past the front page.

I have to be honest and say SOME of the Korg perf functions, like getting to the per part EQ's and some control and effect settings require just as many menu drops as the Yamaha.

When I re-scan that list (which I just did) there are probably not as many differences as I first thought...

I DO prefer the Korg Songbook, and I DO prefer 76 note keybed...so if I am allowed I would like to perhaps amend what I said.

As I really do not believe "personal preferences" should be a factor in how a 'board performs live when someone else is asking for this info, I will amend my comments to say that after a harder look at the differences outlined above, I would need to say there are less "real" or as significant, ones than I seemed to recall from my T2 time.

And the truth is not many of those actually apply. I rarely change the bass allocation DURING a song, I do not have any songs where I NEED to change the style mid-stream, I use full keyboard fingering and chord recognition, so anything one two or three fingered does not concern me.

Even the harmoniser is a "personal preference" thing too. (I prefer the TC)

So Lee, my apologies for giving you a bit of a bum-steer there.

I stand corrected.

Dennis

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online