SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309371 - 05/16/07 09:02 AM BIAB Real Drums
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Rikki and other BIAB faithful:
Your opinion on the new BIAB 2007 and the latest "Real Drums" feature? I just added RD setts 4 and 5 to my 2007 main program and I admit to being quite impressed.

And another question to anyone: have you tried out or heard anything about THIS little gadget that permits remote BIAB program changes? If it works as advertised I can see yet another way to use BIAB more closely as an arranger/live performance setup.
http://www.pgmusic.com/tranzport.htm

#309372 - 05/16/07 03:00 PM Re: BIAB Real Drums
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Cajun,
I haven't had a chance to check out the latest drum sets ( I've been busy with my stylemaking group, I'm going thru a stylemaking phase at the moment haahaa) though I did read about the new drums. THe notice I received announced the new version 12 Powertracks plus the drums. I get the impression these audio drums now work with PT12.
I liked the first sets I received with my mega pack upgrade, are the new ones just as good, & are they different to the existing ones.

The remote gadget, I've read about it. Quite interesting, but at this stage I don't own one, so can't really help.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cajun100:
[b]Rikki and other BIAB faithful:

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-16-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309373 - 05/17/07 10:19 AM Re: BIAB Real Drums
cajun100 Offline

The Real Drums are quite interesting, I have to modulate volume here and there (too "punchy"), but I LOVE the random beats. It's the sameness of rhythm loops that is driving me away from arrangers (that I can/will afford) and more to digital sounds and controls. There are a lot of really nice piano comps and styles available now worldwide -- lots of BIAB renditions of popular and some classical stuff.

Pgmusic appears to have a lot of good response to their latest upgrades. And yes, PT 12 does include provision for real drums and they can be edited, track by track.

At the moment I am using the BIAB "conductor" commands to handle playing elements of any style/song. I am almost through getting the commands worked into my MIDI keyboard. Then -- lookout.

That remote for BIAB is fascinating. I might get one on a trial if I can.

#309374 - 05/17/07 02:31 PM Re: BIAB Real Drums
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cajun,
what do you mean edited track by track.

Are the drum instruments split into individual tracks, or is that wishful thinking on my behalf again. haa haa

best wishes
Rikki
[B]

Pgmusic appears to have a lot of good response to their latest upgrades. And yes, PT 12 does include provision for real drums and they can be edited, track by track.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309375 - 05/21/07 08:51 AM Re: BIAB Real Drums
cajun100 Offline

Nah, rikki --
I was just referring to the ability to substitute the "Real Drums" as the drum track in a file under edit.

Right now I think the biggest benefit to me of the latest BIAB is to play via my laptop/speaker setup the backing tracks, and lead parts (or piano comping) through my old but still very nice PSR9000 adjacent. When I want to fool around with sampled lead parts, I switch to my MIDI keyboard, connection for which to PC is far less bother.

With "Real Drums" I am finding all this more fun than with the same old arranger rhythm loops and fills.

#309376 - 06/06/07 04:07 PM Re: BIAB Real Drums
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cajun,
just upgraded to Powertracks 12 & got the new drums ( 4&5) as part of a megapak deal.
Haven't had a chance to try them yet.
I ended up with faulty 5b & 5c sets. Something may have gone wrong in the download.
I'll have to download them again ( yuk).
PT 12 looks pretty awesome, the fact that the drums are now useable in it also.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online