SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#303460 - 02/08/04 01:57 PM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
I've looked for my original email to Roland Tech dept (can't find it) but I'm sure my question to them was:

Does the Roland VA7 use the same single fingered chord recognition as Yamaha & Technics. Their answer was NO. This is correct so long as there is no MD-2 mode.
If there is an MD-2 mode then they gave me false information and lost the sale of a Roland keyboard.

We'll see what they say when I ring them, one things for sure they've not been quite so efficient as one would expected.

Kind regards

Peter

#303461 - 02/09/04 07:53 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Just to let you know.

I phoned Roland UK today, and got some answers, firstly the new Single Fingered Chord mode MD-2 was news to the Tech dept, they've been requesting this feature for some time and it's only today that they've been enlightened st to it being available on the new instruments.

The VA7 and VA76 does not have the new feature, but any new flagship will probably have it.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards

Peter

#303462 - 02/09/04 08:11 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Peter in my opinion, the MD-2 is useless..Two[or three] wrongs don't make it right...

Roland already has the best method[intelligent mode], it plays correct in one or two fingers[musically correct fingering] or full 3 or 4 even 5 note chords..If you screw up and miss a third or fifth,it compensates for your error..

The flagship keyboards from Roland also include the "standard"[must play full 3 note chord to be totally correct, although it won't be devastating to the ear], and "piano style"[will not read a chord change untill a mininum of 3 note chords are played]...

These three methods are all anyone needs...That comforming [to other manufacturers system] playing mode is Mickey Mouse..

#303463 - 02/09/04 08:21 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi Fran,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

The MD-2 feature is certainly not useless as far as Roland are concerned hence the reason they've introduced it. They have over time had a lot of requests for the feature to be introduced, I think it's good that Roland have listened to what there future customers want.

Like I say "it doesn't matter what's best musically etc" if it's something the customer wants, let them have it.

Wouldn't you agree Fran?

Kind regards

Peter

#303464 - 02/09/04 08:36 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Fran Carango Offline

Peter I agree, although I wish manufacturers would listen to more important ideas we request..

Thankfully ,I am glad we will have choices for what method we want to use[I hope flagship models do not automatically default to this comforming method], I doubt it will... I have owned MI stores for twenty years, I never had any customer tell me they wished arrangers use this method[originally Casio method]..I wonder who has requested this,[UK?]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-09-2004).]

#303465 - 02/09/04 08:51 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi Fran,

I suppose the measure of importance varies considerably from person to person

What's not important to some people is essential to others.

A pianist would argue that good piano sounds are important, whereas an organist would argue......do you see what i mean?

All the best Fran

Peter

#303466 - 02/09/04 08:56 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Roland already has the best method[intelligent mode], it plays correct in one or two fingers[musically correct fingering] or full 3 or 4 even 5 note chords..If you screw up and miss a third or fifth,it compensates for your error..

The flagship keyboards from Roland also include the "standard"[must play full 3 note chord to be totally correct, although it won't be devastating to the ear], and "piano style"[will not read a chord change untill a mininum of 3 note chords are played]...

These three methods are all anyone needs...That comforming [to other manufacturers system] playing mode is Mickey Mouse..

In fact, not only the "flagships" do offer three methods. The EXR-5 has three methods as well. MD1 and MD2 as discussed, and the "OFF" setting, where the arranger follows the exact chord you play, although it will accept chordchanges with only one or two keys pressed. The style will follow the number of keys you use, i.e. it will be more complicated the more keys you use.

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

#303467 - 02/09/04 09:39 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi Fran

With reference to your comments: "I have owned MI stores for twenty years, I never had any customer tell me they wished arrangers use this method[originally Casio method]..I wonder who has requested this,[UK?]..

I've off course have no idea who, but must be hundreds of people I would presume, to make Roland sit up and listen and to now offer this feature.

I was under the impression like the majority probably that all the leading manufacturers used the same Single fingered chord mode, it surprised me when I was informed that Roland did not use what has become the industry standard single fingered chord used by all the other leading manufacturers (until now that is).

Did you stock Roland instruments in your shop Fran?

All the best

Peter

#303468 - 02/09/04 10:27 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Fran Carango Offline

Yes Peter, and I am a long time fan of Roland products..

I would be curious to hear George Kaye and Dan Oneil comments..

Personally I can't think of one advantage for awkward chord fingering of this method[any key to the left of root etc,]..Maybe Roland is just adding this to entry level boards to have a comparable feature to other entry level boards..

It surely is not advanced and I can't see it necessary on Top of the Line arrangers..

#303469 - 02/09/04 10:42 AM Re: VA7 Single finger chord facility?
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi Fran

With regard: Personally I can't think of one advantage for awkward chord fingering of this method[any key to the left of root etc,]..Maybe Roland is just adding this to entry level boards to have a comparable feature to other entry level boards..

It surely is not advanced and I can't see it necessary on Top of the Line arrangers..

Yamaha, Technics, Korg, Gem, Wersi have all used the same method for years(at least 10), now Roland have moved over to the same method. This method is available on all flagship models including Tyros, KN7000, Korg PA1XPRO, Wersi Abacus, etc etc, also according to Roland UK it will appear on any new Roland Flagship/s

I think any system is only awkward if you're not used to it Fran.

Kind regards

Peter

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online