SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#301737 - 12/25/10 05:45 PM Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm making my first Christmas return of the year tomorrow, when I take this s910 back to the dealer. I hate to see my boy loose the commission, but I just can't use this with the design flaw that shuts off the vocals when you step on the f/s.

On the bright side - I've been experimenting with new software that John sent me and my PA800 feels like a new board - it's like I got my wish after all! So, another cup of eggnog and it's back to the studio - tweak the halls with bells and whistles - fa la la la la .... and you know the rest!

What a great Christmas this has been.

#301738 - 12/25/10 06:06 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi Uncle Dave,

Yes John did a great job. I have a PA500 Musikant and at the moment it's just like having 3 different sounding keyboards. I can load the original sounds and styles of the PA500, the Musikant sounds and styles and the performances John created.

#301739 - 12/25/10 06:48 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi U.D.

I've only had an in-store experience with the 910 and really liked it. Naturally, it did not have a footswitch attached but I'm remembering the time I bought a footswitch for my PSR-2000, there is a set-up routine deep in the manual and it was a little quirky to set up initially. Probably my fault... but what I'm suggesting is that you talk to the factory guy who sometimes hangs out here and determine if it really is a design flaw. Scott Yee will remember his name and how to contact him.

Good luck, regardless.

Dave Rice

#301740 - 12/25/10 07:23 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The Yamaha "guy" you are referring to is Steve Demming...who has been very helpful to a lot of Yammie owners.

However, the problem UD is referring to is inherent in all the PSRs and maybe the Tyros series.

It wasn't a deal killer for me...but it is annoying.

Eddie

#301741 - 12/26/10 04:00 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

Is this problem evident in the new Tyros 4 VH2 also? ....or has it been corrected in the latest upgrade just released?

#301742 - 12/26/10 05:27 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Beakybird Offline

I have heard that the T4 doesn't have this problem.

I live with it, and I'm careful not to turn on/off the harmonizer in mid-note.

I'm glad the Korg PA800 is working for UD.

#301743 - 12/26/10 05:38 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Tyros4's VH doesn't have the issue.

http://music-tyros.com/tyros4/features/vocalharmony/index.html

I'm like Beaky...it's not hard to work around it, and, it's worth it, in opinion, as the instrument (the S910, in my case) has so many other awesome features, styles and voices...plus, again in the S910's case, it is inexpensive enough to allow the purchase of two instruments, giving the advantage of a back-up instrument, very important if you have a busy schedule.

It is good to see David has been fortunate to discover his old PA-800 was what he really needed all along, and that John Smies' software has given it a boost.

Ian

#301744 - 12/26/10 06:07 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've been a Tyros 1,2 & now 4 keyboard owner thats never had any problem easily triggering the VH on/off via footpedal, so exactly how does the S910 foot switch feature work differently than on Tyros 4?

#301745 - 12/26/10 06:56 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott, the lower level PSRs have a slight glitch when the footpedal is depressed, shutting off the vocal signal for a split second before the harmony is applied. I've tried 3 or 4 different types of pedals and the result is the same.

My trademark sound has always been a "Four Freshman", "Eagles" type vocal group and it's important for me to turn harmonies on and off mid word, mid phrase, or any old time I think it's appropriate ... the 910 makes this impossible for me, and therefore limits my creativity during a vocal performance ... which is EVERY performance, just about. I play very few instrumentals.

I never got the 910 to recognize the MP3 files I had on my USB stick either, but by then I already knew it was going back. I'm sure for $4000, the T4 put a little more thought into the hardware issues. The 910 is a great entry level instrument, and an "OK" mic input, but the harmonizer is so far behind the pack. That's only my opinion, of course, and I have a very strict design for my vocals - it's 90% of my show.

#301746 - 12/26/10 08:01 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The 910 is a great entry level instrument, .

Just as much as the PA800 is IMO one has great SOUND but with more NON singing players what would you choose?....one has GREAT VH.....so if Tyros & PA2x are TOTL........where are the MOTL units?

I have personally as a singer weened myself off the VH in live use, to me it became too fake & hokey for the audience in a live situation, external units also became quirky and just more wires and setup time involved, .....but I will use it when recording in the studio for background tracks Digi-tech units preferred. I also think lead VH is being way over used in country music...every song is starting to sound the same vocally, what happened to 3 & 4 part "LIVE"....& I love country music.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-26-2010).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online