SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#298854 - 11/05/10 06:00 PM My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here are some stills I took to show you how I utilize my iPad with my Yamaha Tyros2 keyboard for those situations where I might need some roadmap assistance of lyrics/chords.

I've got my iPad protected in a rubberized Hard Candy brand Street Case for added roadworthy protection. Because the iPad's got a 'beveled shape' back, when it sits directly on the T2's LCD screen, it doesn't depress any of the T2's LCD buttons (included in my pics).

The iPad apps I recommend and use for leadsheet/lyrics display are:

GoodReader $1.99

iRealBook $9.99

Both of the above apps allow you to organize and group songs in custom folders for quick navigation & retrieval.

The iPad doesn't include a USB port, but it utilizes a USB-Apple cable (included with the iPad) which allows you to easily drag & drop files into the iPad from the PC thru iTunes and the above soft apps.

When playing a medley of songs, I simply leave the iPad leaning against the T2 LCD, which switching between song styles stored in each of the T2's 8 regs, and use a finger swipe to quickly change from song to song on the iPad. Because the iPad's so compact & light, I use one hand to navigate to other desired songs/song setlist as required, while with my other hand, call up another Yamaha reg bank file on the T2, yet all the while, chatting with the audience, so they're pretty much unaware any of this is going on.

I really appreciate how the iPad blends in (integrates) with the Tyros2 lcd screen, making it pretty much unnoticeable to the audience. Another added iPad plus is battery life is NEVER an issue as there's always enough battery life to last a 4-5 hour gig plus plenty to spare. - Scott

Ok, here are the pics:

#298855 - 11/05/10 06:09 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
great pics and the setup looks awesome!

I Noticed you have a lot of tough chords in that sheet music for "what a difference a day made". Do you actually play those chords with the left hand for the accomp?

Nick

#298856 - 11/05/10 06:33 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

I Noticed you have a lot of tough chords in that sheet music for "what a difference a day made". Do you actually play those chords with the left hand for the accomp?

Yes, but some of these I play rootless jazz chord voicings as Yamaha's chord recognition table recognizes these. Too bad Yamaha doesn't bother to list these more exotic jazz chord voicings in their owners/data manual though. oh well. Scott

#298857 - 11/05/10 06:44 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi Scott

I would like to be able to listen to my emails, as I drive..I have the "Blueant S4"....

Is there anything out there, that I can use on my iphone4, that will read me my emails as they are being "pushed" to my phone?

Thanks
Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#298858 - 11/05/10 08:01 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rphillipchuk:
I would like to be able to listen to my emails, as I drive.

Hi Ron. Great to hear from you. I don't own this iphone app myself, but Text'nDrive $9.99 appears to be what you're looking for. You might want to checkout the FREE lite edition first. Also, here's the developer's website . If you end up getting it, let me know what you think of it, as I may then follow your lead. Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-05-2010).]

#298859 - 11/05/10 09:00 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hiya, Scott, thanks for posting, nice to see you again. Sort of, haha. I mean, I can't see you but, sort of!

Scott, on those lead sheets with staff music, did you post those chords on there?

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 11-05-2010).]

#298860 - 11/05/10 09:14 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Scott, just a quick question m8, how do you find the 9.7" screen? Do you have to do much adjusting from landscape to portrait, and do you need to do much photo-shop work on the charts themselves?

I was going to seriously look at getting one but then I saw the screen size....

Thanks
Dennis

#298861 - 11/05/10 09:42 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
zuki Offline

Nice pics Scott. Always on the cutting edge and thx for sharing

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#298862 - 11/05/10 10:21 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Looks great Scott,

Would be no good for me though since I never learned to read music..

I have an Ipad still haven't figured out anything better to do with than surfing the web and playing games in bed....

I guess it's just the latest toy and I had to have one...

Although your making the most out of yours... Good luck

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 11-05-2010).]

#298863 - 11/05/10 11:34 PM Re: My Tyros2 + Apple iPad Setup (including Pics!)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Hi Scott, just a quick question m8, how do you find the 9.7" screen? Do you have to do much adjusting from landscape to portrait, and do you need to do much photo-shop work?

Dennis,

For full score viewing, probably too small!, But I find the smaller 9.7 screen size idea for displaying lead sheets & chords/lyrics when performing. Large enough to see but without calling attention to itself.

iPad supports automatic portrait/landscape display rotation, as well as ability to lock to desired mode. Little or No Photoshop work required as all my digtial music & fakebooks were already in PDF, txt, png & jpg of which is natively supported by my iPad apps. Page cropping easily done on iPad, including single page or multiple-all pages cropping. I've got my complete large music Fakebook, and Songbook collection and individual song/lyrics library on the iPad.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online