SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#317186 - 02/21/11 11:32 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I think Dan's program has a lot of merit and his offer to continue improving the program with free updates..reminds me of Domenic's support..

Yes I totally agree Fran his vArranger is really REALLY good software. I have never said any different.

I am only trying to emphasise that trying to compare his vArranger+SD2 module to a Tyros 4 is silly. Again it cannot be done as the T4 is so far in front, that really it could become laughable. NOT the software or SD2, just trying to put it even in the same park!!

I am just trying to look at it WITHOUT the rose-coloured glasses that Dan and his customers would have all of us here at SZ use.

As for the 70%, well the T4 is not 100% better, and it is certainly more than 50%, so by taking those two divide by seven, multiply by ten, subtract 15, multiply by 33...no, wait, or is it divide by 2 multiply by 13, subtract 8, no, wait it must be......ahhh yes I have it now...

It was just a good guess laugh

Dennis

#317187 - 02/21/11 11:39 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: Diki]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Yamaha Tyros 4 own an amazing effects module + strong synths caps + the megavoices + SA2... so you will never get the same results if you don't have a Tyros or an emulation who does'nt exists today.

It's just cool to be able to play Ketron styles with their live drums, and play Yamaha T4 styles that you like on one touch of a button, on the same system.

It's not 100% perfect with Yamaha styles, but useable. It's 100% perfect with Ketron styles on Ketron sound modules.

Diki, I lowered a little bit thoses intro horns, because I prefer like that, but your are the second one who tell me that they are undermixed smile so maybe it's my ear...

The curves you are telling are now more specified in the latest official GM documents. But not all manufacturers are following them.

What I usually do when I want to use a style for my styleset, is remixing a little bit the volumes pan & FX to be perfect to my ear. It is very easy on vArranger, because everything is on the screen. You move some faders & kobs on the screen and save the style.

Note that the Yamaha style is never converted by vArranger, but played as it should be by the Tyros 4, with some algorytms to adapt them to Ketron SD2 and GM/XG synths.

Maybe vArranger should play perfectly the Yamaha styles on the Motif XF rack smile

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#317190 - 02/21/11 11:45 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000

Maybe vArranger should play perfectly the Yamaha styles on the Motif XF rack smile

No it won't, as the sounds structure is different for a start. As are all the insert MFX, and there are only a handful of SA sounds on the Motif XS, XF racks. Well, compared to the Tyros anyway.

Even the drumkits are different.

Dennis

#317192 - 02/21/11 11:53 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Doubt it, Dan. It was tried some while ago to play T2 styles into a MoES module, but the mapping of the Mega-voice sounds that OUGHT to be identical just aren't. The Left Hand of Yamaha knoweth not what the Right Hand doeth...! rolleyes

What you MIGHT try to do is have a background 'scaler' for volume and reverb and the like. I imagine, what MOST people would really like is to just plug in the style, and not have to do ANYTHING for it to sound its' best (if the style sounded its best in the original instrument). If you are constantly doing the same adjustments (a piano too loud, a bass too quiet, a snare drum too upfront) or making the same reverb adjustments (your Pirates sounded MUCH drier than the Yamaha version), then these offsets should be stored, and applied in the background.

And, as this is a business for you, buying a T4 would be a legitimate write-off for you. Having the original to compare to will give you a HUGE leg up on tweaking this stuff RIGHT...

BTW, if you could tweak Yamaha Tyros styles to CORRECTLY use MotifXS/XF Mega-voice sounds, you could have a product that would sell VERY well indeed. Lots of Motif owners wishing their WS could do arranging, too... wink

#317195 - 02/21/11 12:07 PM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

BTW, if you could tweak Yamaha Tyros styles to CORRECTLY use MotifXS/XF Mega-voice sounds, you could have a product that would sell VERY well indeed. Lots of Motif owners wishing their WS could do arranging, too... wink

Sorry Diki, but this really cannot be achieved with any great success. Well, at least, I could not get it working to my satisfaction.

I owned a Motif rack Es, and a rack XS, and I tried doing just what you are suggesting using a Tyros 2 I owned for a while.

The results were "very average"....There is just something about the whole structure of the Tyros series, that just does not lend itself easily to mimicry!!

I could get excellent results pumping out from the PA1xPro I owned...But then, the PA does not have Mega or SA voices or the other "under the hood" programming data that is so much a part of Yamaha styles.

I guess if someone wanted to spend a week on converting just one style, then you could get a good useable result, but one week for one style??? Don't know about anyone else, but I have better things to do with my time

#317220 - 02/21/11 03:03 PM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: miden]
DAN.2000 Offline

Yes Diki, it's what I try to do with vArranger and Ketron SD2/SD4.
With this module, vArranger try to do everything for the musician, so he just have to load the style and play.

You can select the synth module connected to vArranger, and it will try to do the best.

For now the options are : GM / GM2 / GS / XG / KETRON SD2 / KETRON SD4.

I implements new modules as clients need them.

I am not sure about the Motif megavoices, but I can remap if there is a need

The Tyros 4 will stay at it's high place ! And congratulation to Yamaha for thoses inspiring styles

Dan

#317284 - 02/22/11 12:50 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Dan, thanx for the demo. Your software sounds like it's really doing it's job of copying the Yamaha style with Ketron sounds. Of course the Tyros sounds better, but for this kind of software last I heard you are light years ahead of the other couple out there.

Hope to hear some more.

#317292 - 02/22/11 06:13 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: Scott Langholff]
DAN.2000 Offline

Thank you scott
New demos are coming.
Keep asking for Yamaha or Ketron style demos

Dan

#317357 - 02/22/11 03:26 PM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dan, if you can successfully remap Yamaha Mega-voices, I would SERIOUSLY take a look at offering your software to MotifXF users. The combination of FULL mega-voiced styles with the MoXF's chord following arpeggiator would be a VERY powerful combination.

And, I would still take a serious listen to default sound and effect balances. There is room for improvement, I think, with those offsets. Essentially, you plug a Yamaha style into the Ketron player, and at least the BALANCE and reverb and chorus depths should sound as close as is possible.

The proof of the pudding is taking a stock, default Yamaha style (no user tweaks, stock Tyros Part settings) and playing it untouched into the stock Ketron module. If you can get those parts to 'sit' right and have the same degree of 'space' around them, you are on the right track.

Give that MotifXF suggestion a serious think, though. I honestly believe half of us here would happily step up to a WS, if we didn't have to leave TRUE arranger capability behind to do so...

#317484 - 02/23/11 12:46 PM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

The big work is already done.

I am ok to customise some tunning options, for every models of WorkStations, if user need them.

I don't think it will interrest arranger musicians, but more, people who want to add the arranger feature on their owned workstations

Dan

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online