SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#294704 - 10/21/10 07:30 AM It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

#294705 - 10/21/10 08:24 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good stuff!A week or so ago, I ran into some YouTube stuff by a guy named Tom Coster.

Best I've ever heard on an arranger. He's posted lots of stuff, including a great version of Europa.

Check it out. Donny's right. It really is the player, not the machine/equipment.

Russ

#294706 - 10/21/10 08:33 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So...you take a top level concert pianist...and have them play a cheap tinny digital piano and it will sound awesome?

Yes, it will sound a lot better than a poor player...but...It takes both skill and a great instrument IMHO.

Lee S.

#294707 - 10/21/10 08:37 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

#294708 - 10/21/10 09:20 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

#294709 - 10/21/10 10:00 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

Eric thanks for the link..real nice stuff !!

Europa always puts me on a Hammock on the beach in a small beach Front town near my families summer home in Italy..

#294710 - 10/21/10 10:29 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Zydecat Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
dnj,

Hadn't seen Tom Coster outside Santana - nice and greazy, and funkier than I thought.

Thanks for the link.

#294711 - 10/21/10 11:56 AM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...

Coster is great, but I had found a link where a young man was playing Europa on a Tyros 4 in arranger mode. The title was something like Europa by Santana and Tom Coster. I thought the player was a Coster, but he was a much younger guy...very good, though.

I'll look for that link in a while.

R.

#294712 - 10/21/10 12:52 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm just not sure about some of the whole thought process behind demos like this. A very average or below average player goes to something like this, thinks 'Wow! I GOTS to have one of these...' and buys it. Takes it home, and immediately sounds like poo.

But then, he goes, in a couple of years, to the NEXT presentation, and repeats the whole mistake! Over and over... And probably sounds no better on his latest purchase than he did on his first. But he keeps buying 'em!

God bless the rich! These things would never get made if the manufacturers had to rely on people that CAN play!

#294713 - 10/21/10 01:06 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Eric, B Offline

Here is the Link to the other Tom Coster playing Europa on the Tyros3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQeyWPoXv3c

#294714 - 10/21/10 01:20 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...

Eric, that's the one I remember..pretty hot on an arranger. that kid's a GOOD PLAYER!

Thanks for finding it!

Russ

#294715 - 10/21/10 01:30 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Sorry, guys, but I couldn't listen past the first chorus... A guitar player that NEVER bends a string?

Did like the drum sound, though... Get it up there, and don't swamp it with your playing, I don't see the problem...

#294716 - 10/21/10 01:40 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, guys, but I couldn't listen past the first chorus... A guitar player that NEVER bends a string?

Diki keep listening to the whole thing....give it a chance.....some timing issues at first but he gets it all together further on...

Eric thanx for the link love the Tyros drums on this too.

#294717 - 10/21/10 01:50 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
So...you take a top level concert pianist...and have them play a cheap tinny digital piano and it will sound awesome?

Yes, I thought the piano sounded awful...and the midi file background sucked big time being played through the Korg.

I don't see any real improvement since the I-series. Honestly.

The player was great.

Ian

#294718 - 10/21/10 01:51 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Eric, B Offline

Diki I hear ya
That's why I use a foot pedal to do bends while playing. Works pretty well for the most part.
But as Donny said, the song does pick up and he uses the pitch bend later on.
Eric

#294719 - 10/21/10 01:56 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq9_HWOpE4s&feature=channel

This lady can play too !!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2010).]

#294720 - 10/21/10 02:07 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
leeboy Offline

Yes..she can...but..Oh no not then darn E. pipes again!
Lee S.

#294721 - 10/21/10 02:21 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
babylon Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi.

#294722 - 10/21/10 02:24 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Sorry, guys. Too little, too late. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression!

#294723 - 10/21/10 02:31 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes, I thought the guitar sounded awful
I don't see any real improvement since the psr 9000. Honestly.

The player was great.

Quote:
Originally posted by babylon:
An example of a good player playing a bad keyboard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQeyWPoXv3c&p=95AA564A1479F584&playnext=1&index=17

#294724 - 10/21/10 02:37 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Sorry, but I disagree. Nothing intrinsically wrong with the sound. Idiomatic playing would have made it MUCH better. Play ANY electric guitar sound as stiffly, and it will sound as bad.

Guitars, and saxes. Probably the two MOST difficult sounds to PLAY correctly. But PLAY them correctly, and the sound itself is of much less importance. Listen to Jan Hammer making a Moog, for Pete's sake, sound EXACTLY like a guitar...

#294725 - 10/21/10 02:38 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Sorry, guys. Too little, too late. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression!

who cares?

#294726 - 10/21/10 02:38 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
These things would never get made if the manufacturers had to rely on people that CAN play!

Sheesh! I had to read through a lot of crap over the last few days to finally find one pearl of wisdom. Don't pick on me, I'm sick (just kidding.....sick people shouldn't throw stuff out there if they can't handle the response ). Now please bear with me; I'm not a huge fan of Rob Thomas but I am a HUGE fan of Santana. I know you've heard this tune a million times and if you don't like it, or don't understand what I'm trying to say, just move on to the next post; this post is not for you. I ask you to listen (and watch) this video in it's ENTIRETY (there's a break before the REAL end and there is some serious percussion going on during that stretch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y2LUh-9AA&feature=related

I'm saying, listen to what's going on there and ask yourself what ANYbody in that band (much less Chester Thompson) would think about ANY Arranger keyboard, be it red, black, green, 76, 61, 88, 'in your face' drums (ha, ha), SA1/2/3/4/5/6 sounds, or came with a complimentary date with Meagan Fox. These guys are musicians and electrify their audiences (not half-dead seniors) with their MUSICIANSHIP, not pre-programmed styles.

I have lots of fun with my arrangers and really enjoy playing them from time to time at home. I usually only get annoyed (which I really have no right to be - what business is it of mine) when people start acting as though their arranger keyboard (or at least the next model of it) is automatically going to transform them into some kind of legitimate A level musician. I just don't think that people like Rory, for instance, got to their current level of expertise by sitting around waiting on the next latest, greatest feature set or sparkling new styles on their arranger keyboards.

Normally this doesn't bother me until I see over 200 posts dedicated to periodically regurgitated bullsh-t. But, I'm sure the original poster is very happy with the predictably high post count that occurs whenever these stupid conversations appear. The big question; how much is TTG being paid to keep fanning it back to life when it should have died after the second post?

Okay, obviously I'm feeling a little better now .

chas

#294727 - 10/21/10 02:41 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. Nothing intrinsically wrong with the sound. Idiomatic playing would have made it MUCH better. Play ANY electric guitar sound as stiffly, and it will sound as bad.

Guitars, and saxes. Probably the two MOST difficult sounds to PLAY correctly. But PLAY them correctly, and the sound itself is of much less importance. Listen to Jan Hammer making a Moog, for Pete's sake, sound EXACTLY like a guitar...

Well it was a little sarcasm from me to the post of Ian

#294728 - 10/21/10 02:47 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Well it was a little sarcasm from me to the post of Ian

Sorry it slipped by me, then...

#294729 - 10/21/10 02:55 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Thank God for that...! It got kinda lonely in here.

As I said on the silly 76 thread, that wouldn't have got past 20 posts if those that had no stake in the issue and didn't care one way or the other had simply kept out of it.

I simply don't get the Yamaha zealots. Do you honestly think a Korg or Roland or Ketron thread getting so pumped up by their devotees would occur? Yamaha isn't a brand... it's a religion. And you KNOW how dangerous it is to contradict anyone's religion

Glad you are with us again, chas. How long will it be before you can play out again? Live, that is, not on an arranger...

#294730 - 10/21/10 03:12 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
As I said on the silly 76 thread, that wouldn't have got past 20 posts if those that had no stake in the issue and didn't care one way or the other had simply kept out of it.

Hey, it wouldn't have needed to go to 2 posts, if you had provided some hard proof.

That's what makes it even sillier.

Saying you believe a company can't make a certain instrument, and then asking for them to make it in the next breath is even more moronic.

I'd call you a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse...which you clearly love to do.

Ian

#294731 - 10/21/10 03:18 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Diki Offline

Opinions round here only need hard proof if they are contra-Yamaha. Every other opinion (including yours) apparently is just dandy remaining an opinion...

BTW, watch those meds doses. They seem to be affecting you adversely. Or did I just make a cartoon of the Prophet, in your eyes?

Sorry, chas... had no idea Ian was so unstable.

#294732 - 10/21/10 03:19 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

chas

Of course you are, dear...you got Diki all riled up again...you are so naughty.

You just want to see him go all crazy again...it is fun, I must agree.

It is so good to see you posting...even if it is bordering on the delusional...must be those meds. Ha Ha.

Ian

#294733 - 10/21/10 03:19 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

if you purists dont like arrangers as it is so obvious by you many post current and in the past....why bother even hanging around an Arranger Keyboard forum or players....then when and if you guys ever post anything "yea right" it's less then stellar' but you have the balls to criticize people on here abouy't every freaking thing possible ....all BS ! ....
I hope no one else takes this crap seriously I certainly don't....try to fool someone else will ya? you really dont think people think your all that do you?sheeeeeeeeeeesh!

btw chas hope you feeling better.

#294734 - 10/21/10 03:35 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
btw chas hope you feeling better.

Thanks Donny, I can really feel the depth of your sincerity.

chas

#294735 - 10/21/10 03:58 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Opinions round here only need hard proof if they are contra-Yamaha. Every other opinion (including yours) apparently is just dandy remaining an opinion...

Opinions are fine, Diki, but you believe yours are facts...no proof, no facts.

Now stop sucking up to poor Chas...he's not in fighting trim yet...suck up to Genny...like you, he believes his opinions are facts.

Ian

#294736 - 10/21/10 04:01 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

#294737 - 10/21/10 04:16 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Opinions are fine, Diki, but you believe yours are facts...no proof, no facts.

Now stop sucking up to poor Chas...he's not in fighting trim yet...suck up to Genny...like you, he believes his opinions are facts.

Ian

easy Ian you'll hurt diki's feelings and heel run away tail tucked "AGAIN" and we won't have the privilege of his posting wisdom for weeks ...
then what would we do.....
oh the humanity!!

#294738 - 10/21/10 04:32 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

easy Ian you'll hurt diki's feelings and heel run away tail tucked "AGAIN" and we won't have the privilege of his posting wisdom for weeks ...
then what would we do.....
oh the humanity!!

Hey, Donny...I would never want to hurt Diki's feelings...you know how sensitive he is...that's why I'm very careful not to upset him.

I almost felt I went too far when I called his G-70 a dinosaur...then I heard he calls it "Dino"...that made me feel better.

I just feel he shouldn't be posting so much when he's drinking...or, is it drinking too much when he's posting...awww, you know what I mean...

Ian

#294739 - 10/21/10 05:57 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
leeboy Offline

Ian,
You know better than to judge a keyboards sound on a youtube performance!
Even though there are many much better than that one...it was recorded through a camera in the back of the room.
I assure you the PA2XPRO sounds superb when played through a quality sound system with the correct EQ in place.

Besides Donny's post is about players and Max is quite good...don't you think?

Lee S.

#294740 - 10/22/10 12:09 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...

I just ran over my guitar version of Europa, and I don't start any serious bending until the improvisations start.

I thought the younger guy did a pretty good job, bad "on camera" mike and all.

And I'm not gonna mess with Chas right now. Not feeling well "PISSES HIM OFF"!(Well, not literally)!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-22-2010).]

#294741 - 10/22/10 01:01 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Ian,
Even though there are many much better than that one...it was recorded through a camera in the back of the room.
I assure you the PA2XPRO sounds superb when played through a quality sound system with the correct EQ in place.

Lee S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTCYseCW28&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=7vj-xYq5k2Q

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#294742 - 10/22/10 02:23 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
ianmcnll Offline

Another nice find, Taike...sounds terrific...the organ sound is nice and ballsy.

You can see where Diki's quest for a chord sequencer would be justified in this clip, as the player can't really bend anytime he wants...just when the left hand is free.

That's why I use a pedal for bending, along with the wheel...not the perfect solution, but it will do until someone re-introduces the chord sequencer.

Ian

#294743 - 10/22/10 04:34 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Quote:
[b]Ian,

Lee S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTCYseCW28&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos =7vj-xYq5k2Q

[/B]

plus live backing band?.....what does that mean this put me to sleep..

#294744 - 10/22/10 07:28 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Eric thanks for the link..real nice stuff !!

Europa always puts me on a Hammock on the beach in a small beach Front town near my families summer home in Italy..

Hey Donny, where's your family's summer home in Italy?

Joe

#294745 - 10/22/10 07:35 PM Re: It's the Player baby NOT the machine.....great KORG demo...
Dnj Offline

you got mail

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online