SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294633 - 10/21/10 06:16 AM OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
LONDON, Reuters

British singer Elton John described today's songwriters as "pretty awful," pop music as uninspiring and reality television talent shows like "American Idol" as boring in an interview on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old singer of "Your Song" and "Candle in the Wind", one of the most successful pop artists of all time, added that the instant fame which talent shows can bring was not the way to become a genuine star.

"It's important they (pop stars) write their own songs, so they're not at the mercy of anyone," John, whose real name is Reginald Dwight, told Radio Times magazine.

"Songwriters today are pretty awful, which is why everything sounds the same. Contempory pop isn't very inspiring."

He said he was a fan of young female pop acts Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga, before adding:

"I'm not a fan of talent shows. I probably wouldn't have lasted if I'd gone on one. I was asked to judge "American Idol." I couldn't do it because I won't slag anyone off.

"Also I don't want to be on television. It's become boring, arse-paralyzingly brain crippling."

He said "X Factor" judge and music producer Simon Cowell had discovered some talented acts through his shows, "but the only way to sustain a career is to pay your dues in small clubs.

"I was in a band at 17, became a songwriter with Bernie Taupin and wasn't successful until we'd had six years of hard graft and disappointment, as well as great times.

"TV vaults you to superstardom and then you have to back it up, which is hard. (British X Factor winners) Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are at the mercy of the next song they can get.

"('Britain's Got Talent' runner-up) Susan Boyle was an endearing phenomenon, but I fear she might not understand the rigors of showbusiness."

John is releasing a new album this week. "The Union," a collaboration with his musical hero Leon Russell, and plays the BBC Electric Proms in London on Oct.28.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#294634 - 10/21/10 10:07 AM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
LONDON, Reuters

British singer Elton John said he was a fan of Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga, arse-paralyzingly brain crippling."

Haha,anyone who can stand the screeching of houses with the name amy in it appears to be the one with some form of arse crippling infections! Amy winehouse is NOT music,thats a black board with finger nails and gin tonic!..gaga? she was decent when she 1st came out,now (insert sound of toilet flushing here)At this rate,i am guessing elton likes the crap swift vomits out also.
Lily Allen ok,i totally agree, along with Lights,Mia martina.

#294635 - 10/21/10 10:12 AM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Dnj Offline

So your saying all the millions of people buying gaga, whinehouses, music etc, have no clue what they like? Why critisize? ...
just dont listen, or buy it, if it's not your taste in music. I personally don't enjoy eltons music....so what?..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2010).]

#294636 - 10/21/10 02:44 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good job you aren't running for politics, as flip-flopping as you are on Lady Gaga, Donny... You slagged her royally a few days ago! Now you are making the exact point I made about it.

But, back in Elton's day, no-one was STEALING the vast majority of records he and Bernie made. Record companies could AFFORD to let artists mature longer. They didn't HAVE to have a hit every single time the released a single. Sadly, as excremental as the current process is, it's the only one they can afford...

#294637 - 10/21/10 03:29 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:

John is releasing a new album this week. "The Union," a collaboration with his musical hero Leon Russell

Hi Taike, how'z it going in your part of the world?

I just downloaded this album and love it. This has got to be the best thing I've heard coming from Elton John in years! 'well crafted' songs with a powerful delivery so reminscent of Elton John's early period! Wow, at 63, I think Elton John and Leon Russell (68) are both at the top of their musical game. Taike, thanks for turning me on to "The Union". - Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#294638 - 10/21/10 03:37 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi Taike, how'z it going in your part of the world?

I just downloaded this album and love it. This has got to be the best thing I've heard coming from Elton John in years! 'well crafted' songs with a powerful delivery so reminscent of Elton John's early period! Wow, at 63, I think Elton John and Leon Russell (68) are both at the top of their musical game. Taike, thanks for turning me on to "The Union". - Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

They probably ran low on money and decided to milk their fan base once again....
as many many acts do years later.
The lifestyle & those entourage's cost a pretty penny year after year.

#294639 - 10/22/10 11:27 AM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You mean like those pathetic has-been doo-wop 'artists' trotting out yet another sickening revival tour?

Must be tough to squeeze those in, what with all the time they spend writing new songs... Oh, whoops! They didn't write much of the material in the FIRST place!

Elton's legacy speaks for itself:

Billboard Legacy

Made the Billboard 200 Albums of the Year Chart in: 2007, 2003, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1990, 1988, 1986, 1982, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1973, 1972, 1971

Made the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Year Chart in: 1998, 1997, 1995, 1994, 1992, 1988, 1986, 1984, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1973, 1972

But hey... He's no Platters or the Four Seasons, is he?

#294640 - 10/22/10 12:03 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But hey... He's (Elton John) no Platters or the Four Seasons, is he?

It's more like comparing Apples to Oranges. I appreciate a good dose of each.

Scott

#294641 - 10/22/10 12:06 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Elton' great. Leon is fabulous! Gotta be great material. Good review in the WSJ earlier this week!

R.

#294642 - 10/22/10 01:13 PM Re: OT: Today's songwriters are 'pretty awful': Elton John
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have a friend that was the tour bus driver for Leon Russell. Honestly I never heard any of his music, just the fact my friend drove his tour bus.
I am thankful for Elton Johns colaboration with L.R and will download the album. Not only because Scott likes it, but the album has received great reviews.

You gotta love Sir Eltons direction in life. He has all the money he could ever need and is giving it back to many charities. Reaching out to his idol is just another way to say thanks!

Todays pop music has no chord changes and loop/production oriented ! If you drove around with my teenage kids, you would see a battle on which station the radio dial is on.

I mostly listen to the Christian Radio station ( always looking for a new song)& classic rock stations.

Looking forward to listening to this Album.

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 10-22-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online