SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294259 - 09/23/10 08:36 AM Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
Bachus Offline

My good old S90ES has 4 elements per voice max, Motif XS and Motif XF have 8 elements/ voice.

Since Tyros has the same sound engine as the newer Motifs, how does Tyros handle these elements, seems like they are hidden somewhere deep intoo the soundengine and can't be tweaked/edited by users. Or is the Tyros 3 sound engine totally different?

Its easy to find how much Wave rom Motif instruments have... (XF has 760MB) but its much harder to find how much wave rome current and older Tyros versions have. I know T1 has 96 MB, but how about T2, T3 and espescially T4?

All in all the online video's seem to indicate that T4 will sound just as good as Motif XF, but then with a lot less sounds and only minor sound edditing abilities. But then T4 makes up for that by outshining Motif with its excellent SA and SA2 voices.

All in all i am just interested to know the differences in the sound engine.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#294260 - 09/24/10 01:29 AM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I beleieve the difference sis in the EDITING...Tyros has already edited those elements. The Motif allows the user ot edit each and every aspect of all eight elements to create a single voice. It rightly appears Yamaha believes the Tyros is plug and play while the Motif is a creator's toy from raw wave form to finished voice. Multis are a good example of that. You can create them on a Motif to a great extent using elements velocity switching, scaling and a crapload of effects per element.

The took edited XF synth sounds and put them in they Tyros with minimal editing capabilities. The Drums are much better however. They don;t sound like Live drums and are still processed to blend in a smooth mix. The CD quality is the Tyros signature. For those of us who like that it is a winner. For those who want more raw visceral tracks it is milk toast. If you have a Motif you have all the visceral you need to create tracks that can be played back on the Tyros live minus parts.\\

What's it worth?
-15 more SA2 voices
-new VH2 engine with dedicated DSP effects a new preamp and signal processing under the hood, add up to three harmony vocalists in addition to your own voice and with new pitch recognition and stability controls
new Synth Vocoder.

Voices 993/749
S. Articulation 2 15 +15 for styles) /11
S.Articulation! 164/
MegaVoice 43/23
Live! 101/70
Cool! 71/71
Sweet! 30/30
Organ Flutes! 30 Presets
Drums 44 (including SFX kits) vs 12 T3
Internal Flash 6MB
Styles 500/300

Multi Pads 164 x4/123 x4
So there are quite a bit of upgrading in the oices and styles.

Is it worth $1500 more?

The market will determine that...So far they have bought more than the previous models. wITH A TWO YEAR RELEASE ESNG THE FINANCIAL GAP TEY SHOULD CONTINUE TO SELL MORE...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#294261 - 09/24/10 05:28 AM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog,
Why do you say it's $1500 more??
Lee S.

#294262 - 09/24/10 12:23 PM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
So the XF has all the voices of the Tyros4? So with an XF rack, and OneManBand I could have the Tyros4 sound, with the added bonus of being able to edit and create my own sounds?

#294263 - 09/24/10 04:36 PM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Things must have changed then...because when I spent a day with an XS...it sure didn't have full T3 sounds. I had them setting side by side at sweetwater.

Lee S.

#294264 - 09/24/10 07:20 PM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It makes you wonder why, if the MoXF has FULL SA2 editing, and the same samples as the T4, why they didn't include the T4 edits as a ROM Voice. You can't say that the MoXF is strictly a blank canvas for you to build your own custom sounds on... there is an EXTENSIVE set of presets in both single voice and Combi's for you to start with OOTB.

So why haven't Yamaha included what seems to be the BEST programming they can when making the ROM sounds?

#294265 - 09/24/10 07:34 PM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
So the XF has all the voices of the Tyros4? So with an XF rack, and OneManBand I could have the Tyros4 sound, with the added bonus of being able to edit and create my own sounds?

I dont think so..

They use the same technics to create sound from samples... But they deffinatley have a different set of samples (and presets)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#294266 - 09/25/10 12:44 AM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Remember Motif and Tyros are destined for 2 different sectors of the market, and if they are using the same sound engine, their features and voices will have been tailored to suit their particular market segments.

Hence you can’t use a Motif as a full on Arranger, and neither can you use a Tyros as a full on Workstation.

Bill

#294267 - 09/25/10 03:52 AM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Remembet that Motif has no SA voices while Tyros has MegaVoices.

#294268 - 09/25/10 05:05 AM Re: Soundsource Tyros 4 versus Motif XF
jwyvern Offline

Quoting Kingfrog:

"You can create them on a Motif to a great extent using elements velocity switching, scaling and a crapload of effects per element."

You can do that on Tyros too using the PC Editor (although not with SA or Mega type voices)
john

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online