SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#294149 - 09/23/10 08:19 AM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki and Ian, I looked at some guitar sites late last night after work and, man, you're right!

I saw a bunch of combative, bordering on abusive spats about things that matter so little...optimum string gauge, for instance.

When talking to a guitar player face to face, the conversation is defined by the level of expertise/ability, I believe. I get lots of kids coming up to me at gigs talking about their Ibanez XXX (or whatever) model acoustic. I'm polite but don't stay glued to their every word. But, you'd better believe I'd pay REALLY close attention to Lee Ritenauer, Tommy Emmanuel, George Benson, Rory Hoffman, or people who played like them.

Diki's comment about the nuances of non-verbal communications is right on.

I guess confrontation is just a by-product of on-line places like "the Zone".

But, you know what? I DON'T LIKE that part of the on-line communications process.

It takes so little extra time to be courteous and respectful. And, you learn much more, when the process isn't confrontational. That doesn't mean you don't share your opinion; you just do it in a manner that does not offend people with opposite opinions. After all, that other person is entitled to think whatever he/she wants.

All of this just makes me appreciate those here who have always been great to communicate with, which, by a wide margin has been the great majority of my interactions; even with people who are typically "first in line" when a dispute surfaces.

Thanks to all. There are good reasons why this is the only site I visit on a regular basis.

Russ

#294150 - 09/23/10 11:27 AM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
124 Offline

I think a forum dedicated to any instrument, or genre of instruments in this case, is going to be a form of navel-gazing. Maybe looking at the same old navel all the time makes one a little stir-crazy.

On the OMB point, it could be that the four or five egos normally associated with a bunch of guys becomes concentrated in the one individual. Jeez, does that make us all borderline multiple personality cases? Maybe they'll start putting health warning stickers on arrangers. Yikes!

#294151 - 09/23/10 02:14 PM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
"Warning! The Surgeon General has determined that playing an arranger is hazardous to your ego, causing inflation and an undeserved sense of ability"

#294152 - 09/23/10 02:24 PM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
captain Russ Offline

Diki, now, THAT is FUNNY!

Russ

#294153 - 09/23/10 08:34 PM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Diki, now, THAT is FUNNY!

Russ

...and insulting to many

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#294154 - 09/23/10 10:31 PM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No-one HERE with an inflated ego and overdeveloped sense of ability, SURELY..?

#294155 - 09/23/10 10:33 PM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
No-one HERE with an inflated ego and overdeveloped sense of ability, SURELY..?

#294156 - 09/24/10 06:24 AM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
OMG...you guys are starting to sound like those of us in the Silent Majority who tune in here daily just to lurk and watch the bedlam that goes on from a safe distance.
Eddie

#294157 - 09/24/10 10:38 AM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
captain Russ Offline

Jim, my take on the ego comment was a general observation about the inverse relationship, sometimes, between ability/talent and ego.

Over the 50 plus years I've been working in this business, the biggest "over the top" egomaniacs have been people of marginal ability, at best.

The "monsters" are secure and, as a general rule, extremely polite, humble and enjoyable to be with. Rory, for instance, is a certified "monster", in my opinion, and there isn't a person more enjoyable to hang out with. He's secure in his abilities and a genuinely nice guy.

That goes for here, too. In my opinion, some of the most "in your face" posters are on the low end of the talent pool.

Key words here are "in my opinion", and nothing would be accomplished as a result of identifying specific individuals.

Same thing is true in most facets of the business world and any creative field.

The people who have it together are cool. The ones unsure of themselves let egos overcome their brains and mouths.

This is just a general observation/opinion, certainly not intended to offend anyone.

Diki's "tongue in cheek" comment sort of told the story as only he can, probably offending some, which speaks to the general theme of this entire post.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-24-2010).]

#294158 - 09/24/10 10:47 AM Re: Why are brands and models so important to us?
Dnj Offline

It's human nature...if You dont have confidence in YOURSELF.....who will?.....
no one likes to be put down when they think they are better then that, & spent a ton of money on gear they perceive is the best,..it all coincides with the Egocentric naturalist of the human species in all of us..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online