SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293680 - 09/18/10 01:06 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Surely there is a reverb amount parameter? If it was too much, you COULD have turned it down (or simply panned your mixer's controls nine to three or ten to two)...

#293681 - 09/18/10 05:23 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Looks like you've also shortened "shortened" to "shorten" .

just kiddin'

chas

Good catch

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

#293682 - 09/18/10 07:16 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
How long did you have your SD1plus ?

I used it about 6 months...and really enjoyed it 76 keys and all......but I really had to do some intense editing work to get it to my liking....I don't see why ketron would leave the reverb so blatantly overdone for factory defaults on the styles and many of the sounds also, my Midjay, and X1/X9 were the same.....but once you work at it diligently some wonderful things start happening and you can really make it sound terrific on stage as almost every perimeter can be edited, Dan O, AJ, Don M, and a few others helped me thru the tough times getting it ready for stage use..
& I really appreciated that mucho!!.....
I regretted selling it to a player in Northern Scotland but I knew it went to a good home. Who knows maybe there's another Ketron in my future?....

#293683 - 09/19/10 02:58 AM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
MidJay is still my primary instrument on my gigs. You're right there's too much reverb/echo on the sounds. Is there a short way to adjust this globally and not thru individual styles/sounds tweaking?
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#293684 - 09/19/10 07:06 AM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Dnj Offline

Jim.....I don't hae one here to check out but I woudld ask AJ, or Dan O about the Global adjustments to see if its possible.....glad to hear you enjoying your Midjay.
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=100&LastLogin=

#293685 - 09/21/10 08:40 AM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
I have had my Audya 5 for a few weeks now and I am completely blown away by the styles and sound every time I sit down to play. I think the Tyros has more sounds that are suited for sound tracks for film and studio, but then most all of that sound is done using effects allocated in an effective way. Yamaha's raw samples are no better than Ketron and the rest of the big three. Kurzweil has the best samples IMO. The Audya 5 is a pleasure to play and I don't care if you like ,Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Technics or whatever. If you forget about being brand loyal and play the Audya I don't see how anyone would not like this instrument. I like it when people say, what is that?, where did you get that? Who makes it? I've never heard anything like that before. Who is Ketron? I thought a real live band was playing when I came in and looked up at the front and only saw you and that keyboard, I could hardly believe my ears. Awesome. YEP, it really is.
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#293686 - 09/21/10 12:37 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Diki Offline

I don't think many people have any objection to the SOUND of the Audya... I certainly don't, and really the only negative I've heard so far is some peoples' objection to how up front the drum sound is (they have got used to much less emphasis being payed to drum sound, IMO).

But most of the negativity to do with the Audya comes from more practical considerations... Price, first and foremost, dearth of dealers anywhere near most people (in the event of a problem), slow tech support (who can afford TWO for a backup one?), and glacial bug fixing...

Then there are the practical playing reasons... Complete inability to revoice audio loops (so you can do a style with different kits for different songs), complete inability to edit loops (so many styles, you only have to move ONE kick drum hit or a snare beat to make a style fit a song PERFECTLY... no chance of that with a loop), and, at least to my ears, STILL a very noticeable difference between basic guitar chords and more complicated ones that make the Audya switch from audio loops to MIDI guitars that don't match well.

The Audya's demos completely blow one away when you first hear them, but be prepared to listen to them sound pretty much the same for as long as you own it. MIDI based arrangers can be edited to sound completely different, in Roland's case, with the minimum of effort, too. Add to that Ketron's past performance when it comes to providing NEW audio styles for the SD1 and the difficulty of making your own audio loop based complete styles, and probably the vast majority of Audya owners are going to be playing the same stuff the day they SELL the Audya as the day they bought it...

But none of this changes just how GOOD it sounds, OOTB...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-21-2010).]

#293687 - 09/21/10 02:19 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
at least to my ears, STILL a very noticeable difference between basic guitar chords and more complicated ones that make the Audya switch from audio loops to MIDI guitars that don't match well.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-21-2010).]

I think you was away when this myth was put to bed once and for all. We spent hours on the subect and played examples of complex chord changes, discovered how the Audya switches over only on very few impossible inversions.

example of complex chord change: http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords.mp3

and this massive thread: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/021060-6.html

which has chord sequences as requested by Ianmcnl http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords/chords.mp3 http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords/chords2.mp3

There is also a comprehensive list (or at least all the chords I could think of).

please check.

with regards to sounding different from other owners, there are many hundreds of different loops to choose from (many do not appear in current styles) to develop your own sound'. you can easily customise the styles by swapping out loops (both live guitars and drums) as well as midi parts - just by using ingredients on the keyboard - anyone can do it and the possibilities are almost endless.

By the way, a new style library is being created as we type which will be available to buy individually.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 09-21-2010).]

#293688 - 09/21/10 02:32 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Diki Offline

If you call a basic augmented chord or a diminished chord or a sus4 an 'impossible inversion', then I guess you are right...

But I call them BASIC chords, needed for almost everything one plays, and ALL of them get switched 100% to MIDI guitar sounds when played. That remains unacceptable to me.

Add to that that simple extensions get added to basic full six note chords, rather than being recorded that way, so, a sixth chord turns a six string guitar into a seven string guitar, a 6/9 turns a six string into an eight string guitar... If you aren't very picky about guitar realism, I suppose it's just FINE..!

Me, I'm prepared to wait for the technology to be able to play a recording of the chord that I play, not have the basic sound butchered by incorrect voicings. I thought the whole POINT of audio guitar recordings was to sound EXACTLY like a guitar. To my ears (to be honest, I don't particularly care what consensus a bunch of non-guitar playing keyboard players comes up with ) it fails to be convincing, and when it comes to gear I want to purchase, only my own opinion matters!

#293689 - 09/21/10 02:37 PM Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If you call a basic augmented chord or a diminished chord or a sus4 an 'impossible inversion', then I guess you are right...

But I call them BASIC chords, needed for almost everything one plays, and ALL of them get switched 100% to MIDI guitar sounds when played. That remains unacceptable to me.

Add to that that simple extensions get [b]added
to basic full six note chords, rather than being recorded that way, so, a sixth chord turns a six string guitar into a seven string guitar, a 6/9 turns a six string into an eight string guitar... If you aren't very picky about guitar realism, I suppose it's just FINE..!

Me, I'm prepared to wait for the technology to be able to play a recording of the chord that I play, not have the basic sound butchered by incorrect voicings. I thought the whole POINT of audio guitar recordings was to sound EXACTLY like a guitar. To my ears (to be honest, I don't particularly care what consensus a bunch of non-guitar playing keyboard players comes up with ) it fails to be convincing, and when it comes to gear I want to purchase, only my own opinion matters![/B]

It's amazing to me that not one keyboard manufacturer has snatched you up as a troubleshooting consultant so that they never make a mistake in designing their new keyboards....so I guiess teh G70 does all you complain about right?...of course it doesnt but your happy with it and thats all that matters

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online