AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please?

Posted by: Dnj

AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 05:39 AM

Why hasnt anyone been talking about the Audya 61 as of yet?...

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 06:24 AM

http://www.ketronusa.com/videos.asp?mod=AUDYA 5

demo videos

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 06:55 AM

Honestly I have listened to these demos of teh Audya 5 and I dont hear the difference from my SD1+...accept for the strumming guitars......overall it still has that over saturated reverbed WIDE Open Sound that I just don't enjoy playing.But I guess many do....enjoy.
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why hasnt anyone been talking about the Audya 61 as of yet?...

Because it is basically the same thing as an original Audya with the latest OS upgrades.

So when persons are talking about the original Audya with the updated sounds, styles and
OS, it also applies to the Audya 5 and 4.

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Because it is basically the same thing as an original Audya with the latest OS upgrades.

So when persons are talking about the original Audya with the updated sounds, styles and
OS, it also applies to the Audya 5 and 4.

And thats a good thing?

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 07:07 AM

Quote:
And thats a good thing?

Well they can say they have a 76, 61 and module version of the Audya. However, I think they did it wrong. The module should have been much more compact and smaller and the 61 and 76 key versions should have been lighter.

------------------
I have shorten my ID to TTG

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 07:15 AM

Quote:
Well they can say they have a 76, 61 and module version of the Audya. However, I think they did it wrong. The module should have been much more compact and smaller and the 61 and 76 key versions should have been lighter.

I agree there is much more to a product then just the way it sounds ......overall aesthetics, navigation, features, support all combine to make it a success.....these are decisions each player can only make for themselves....these weird blanketed contentment statements mean nothing.
Posted by: DonM

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 08:13 AM

I'm trying to find time to drive down to Lufkin and visit my friend Don Patterson and compare his new Audya 4 module and my Audya.
Maybe Monday. My concern is with the size and location of controls. I wish it were Midjay size.
DonM
Posted by: cgiles

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 10:07 AM

Quote:
I have shorten my ID to TTG

Looks like you've also shortened "shortened" to "shorten" .

just kiddin'

chas
Posted by: DanO1

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 11:07 AM

Quote:
Honestly I have listened to these demos of teh Audya 5 and I dont hear the difference from my SD1+...accept for the strumming guitars......overall it still has that over saturated reverbed WIDE Open Sound that I just don't enjoy playing.But I guess many do....enjoy.

How long did you have your SD1plus ?
Posted by: Diki

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 01:06 PM

Surely there is a reverb amount parameter? If it was too much, you COULD have turned it down (or simply panned your mixer's controls nine to three or ten to two)...

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Looks like you've also shortened "shortened" to "shorten" .

just kiddin'

chas

Good catch

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/18/10 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
How long did you have your SD1plus ?

I used it about 6 months...and really enjoyed it 76 keys and all......but I really had to do some intense editing work to get it to my liking....I don't see why ketron would leave the reverb so blatantly overdone for factory defaults on the styles and many of the sounds also, my Midjay, and X1/X9 were the same.....but once you work at it diligently some wonderful things start happening and you can really make it sound terrific on stage as almost every perimeter can be edited, Dan O, AJ, Don M, and a few others helped me thru the tough times getting it ready for stage use..
& I really appreciated that mucho!!.....
I regretted selling it to a player in Northern Scotland but I knew it went to a good home. Who knows maybe there's another Ketron in my future?....
Posted by: synerjim

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/19/10 02:58 AM

MidJay is still my primary instrument on my gigs. You're right there's too much reverb/echo on the sounds. Is there a short way to adjust this globally and not thru individual styles/sounds tweaking?
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks
Jimmy

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/19/10 07:06 AM

Jim.....I don't hae one here to check out but I woudld ask AJ, or Dan O about the Global adjustments to see if its possible.....glad to hear you enjoying your Midjay.
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=100&LastLogin=
Posted by: Mr. G

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 08:40 AM

I have had my Audya 5 for a few weeks now and I am completely blown away by the styles and sound every time I sit down to play. I think the Tyros has more sounds that are suited for sound tracks for film and studio, but then most all of that sound is done using effects allocated in an effective way. Yamaha's raw samples are no better than Ketron and the rest of the big three. Kurzweil has the best samples IMO. The Audya 5 is a pleasure to play and I don't care if you like ,Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Technics or whatever. If you forget about being brand loyal and play the Audya I don't see how anyone would not like this instrument. I like it when people say, what is that?, where did you get that? Who makes it? I've never heard anything like that before. Who is Ketron? I thought a real live band was playing when I came in and looked up at the front and only saw you and that keyboard, I could hardly believe my ears. Awesome. YEP, it really is.

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 12:37 PM

I don't think many people have any objection to the SOUND of the Audya... I certainly don't, and really the only negative I've heard so far is some peoples' objection to how up front the drum sound is (they have got used to much less emphasis being payed to drum sound, IMO).

But most of the negativity to do with the Audya comes from more practical considerations... Price, first and foremost, dearth of dealers anywhere near most people (in the event of a problem), slow tech support (who can afford TWO for a backup one?), and glacial bug fixing...

Then there are the practical playing reasons... Complete inability to revoice audio loops (so you can do a style with different kits for different songs), complete inability to edit loops (so many styles, you only have to move ONE kick drum hit or a snare beat to make a style fit a song PERFECTLY... no chance of that with a loop), and, at least to my ears, STILL a very noticeable difference between basic guitar chords and more complicated ones that make the Audya switch from audio loops to MIDI guitars that don't match well.

The Audya's demos completely blow one away when you first hear them, but be prepared to listen to them sound pretty much the same for as long as you own it. MIDI based arrangers can be edited to sound completely different, in Roland's case, with the minimum of effort, too. Add to that Ketron's past performance when it comes to providing NEW audio styles for the SD1 and the difficulty of making your own audio loop based complete styles, and probably the vast majority of Audya owners are going to be playing the same stuff the day they SELL the Audya as the day they bought it...

But none of this changes just how GOOD it sounds, OOTB...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-21-2010).]
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
at least to my ears, STILL a very noticeable difference between basic guitar chords and more complicated ones that make the Audya switch from audio loops to MIDI guitars that don't match well.

I think you was away when this myth was put to bed once and for all. We spent hours on the subect and played examples of complex chord changes, discovered how the Audya switches over only on very few impossible inversions.

example of complex chord change: http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords.mp3

and this massive thread: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/021060-6.html

which has chord sequences as requested by Ianmcnl http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords/chords.mp3 http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/chords/chords2.mp3

There is also a comprehensive list (or at least all the chords I could think of).

please check.

with regards to sounding different from other owners, there are many hundreds of different loops to choose from (many do not appear in current styles) to develop your own sound'. you can easily customise the styles by swapping out loops (both live guitars and drums) as well as midi parts - just by using ingredients on the keyboard - anyone can do it and the possibilities are almost endless.

By the way, a new style library is being created as we type which will be available to buy individually.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 09-21-2010).]

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:32 PM

If you call a basic augmented chord or a diminished chord or a sus4 an 'impossible inversion', then I guess you are right...

But I call them BASIC chords, needed for almost everything one plays, and ALL of them get switched 100% to MIDI guitar sounds when played. That remains unacceptable to me.

Add to that that simple extensions get added to basic full six note chords, rather than being recorded that way, so, a sixth chord turns a six string guitar into a seven string guitar, a 6/9 turns a six string into an eight string guitar... If you aren't very picky about guitar realism, I suppose it's just FINE..!

Me, I'm prepared to wait for the technology to be able to play a recording of the chord that I play, not have the basic sound butchered by incorrect voicings. I thought the whole POINT of audio guitar recordings was to sound EXACTLY like a guitar. To my ears (to be honest, I don't particularly care what consensus a bunch of non-guitar playing keyboard players comes up with ) it fails to be convincing, and when it comes to gear I want to purchase, only my own opinion matters!

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If you call a basic augmented chord or a diminished chord or a sus4 an 'impossible inversion', then I guess you are right...

But I call them BASIC chords, needed for almost everything one plays, and ALL of them get switched 100% to MIDI guitar sounds when played. That remains unacceptable to me.

Add to that that simple extensions get [b]added
to basic full six note chords, rather than being recorded that way, so, a sixth chord turns a six string guitar into a seven string guitar, a 6/9 turns a six string into an eight string guitar... If you aren't very picky about guitar realism, I suppose it's just FINE..!

Me, I'm prepared to wait for the technology to be able to play a recording of the chord that I play, not have the basic sound butchered by incorrect voicings. I thought the whole POINT of audio guitar recordings was to sound EXACTLY like a guitar. To my ears (to be honest, I don't particularly care what consensus a bunch of non-guitar playing keyboard players comes up with ) it fails to be convincing, and when it comes to gear I want to purchase, only my own opinion matters![/B]

It's amazing to me that not one keyboard manufacturer has snatched you up as a troubleshooting consultant so that they never make a mistake in designing their new keyboards....so I guiess teh G70 does all you complain about right?...of course it doesnt but your happy with it and thats all that matters

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:43 PM

obviously you couldn't be bothered to read the threads I mentioned or listen to the examples. But thats fine, I am sure you will one day own the perfect arranger. For now many of us are enjoying a level of sound quality far beyond anything else currently available - perfect or not.

After years of working with live musicians (drummers, guitarists etc) there simply is no other option, unless you know something the rest of us do not? A DNJ says, maybe we should all look closer at the G70 - I hadn't appreciated just how amazing it must be? next time one comes in to my fathers shop in part exchange for an Audya I'll have a much better look at it.

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:48 PM

sorry double post

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:49 PM

Well, as flawed as the G70's Guitar Mode is, it only plays six strings no matter WHAT chord you throw at it

Ketron don't need me, or you, or anybody to explain this stuff to them. They are only TOO well acquainted with the problem! But, sadly, at the moment, the technology isn't available to them to be able to do the job as well as I am sure they would LIKE to. Do you honestly think that they PREFERRED to make a complex system to add MIDI notes to an audio track rather than simply record the chord in the first place?

And no, I am NOT 'happy' with my G70 (the G70 forum is FULL of my complaints about it!)... But I am happier with it than any other arranger, at the moment. And, as often as most of us change arrangers, despite swearing to God just HOW 'happy' they are at playing the 'best' arranger there is, I am pretty sure most of us are just as aware that there are things that COULD be improved. I seem, however, to be one of the few willing to discuss it, rather than blithely accept everything shoved down our throats by the manufacturers (and their fanboys!) about how perfect each and every incremental model release is.

Perfect, my ass!

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:58 PM

sometimes our own oppinions do have a habit of getting in the way of enjoyment...and this is a prime example.

The perfect instrument is a myth too. Plus - if Roland, Yamaha or Ketron were to build the perfect instrument they will be out of business within three years.

The Audya does have its quirks, yes. But in the real world it doesn't matter. Just ask any of the professionals that currently use them. Sadly not many are on SZ, they are too busy making a living and enjoying the great reaction form their audiences to be bothered to visit this place. But I will gladly copy and paste some of the comments here for you?

Re: AUDYA 61 who is using one?...........Reviews....Opinions please? - 09/21/10 02:59 PM

TWD, I listened to all those demos when they first appeared. They didn't settle the matter once and for all for me, and that's all that counts, as far as I am concerned. Just because I don't AGREE with you, don't accuse me of not even LISTENING to them. That's sad, man...

You've got a great arranger. I've got a great arranger. We ALL got great arrangers! But NONE of them are perfect, or even close. As I said, when the technology matures to the point where the guitar chords are done correctly, things will get better. I am not sure why you want to take me on about the Audya. From the very beginning, from the first posted audio demos, I have always said how good the Audya sounds. Why are your knickers in such a twist?

My main objections to the Audya have revolved around things that are the very NATURE of audio loops... inability to edit and change them, difficulty in making new styles using them, the inability of current technology to use them to their full potential. But I have NEVER dissed the basic sound. I listen to EVERY demo, posted anywhere.

If I don't agree with you, you are going to have to come up with a better reason than that!