SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290981 - 08/11/10 07:20 AM Introduction
Zydecat Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
Greetings all,

New forum member here - I've been reading this board for a long time, and appreciate all the useful stuff I've learned here. I'd like to break the ice and start posting some, so like it or not, here's a bit about me.

I've played music of one sort or another on the side for about 40 years. I played keys in a cover band doing weddings, parties, and other private gigs for about 25 years starting in 1974. Now I play Cajun and Zydeco accordion in a couple bands, and freelance with a couple of blues bands on piano and organ. I'm a board member of a successful traditional music non-profit cooperative organization here in central Michigan. ( www.wheatlandmusic.org )

I have a PSR 2000 that I use mainly for practice, but also on many gigs as well as I find some of the rompler sounds very useful. My gig rig is a Yamaha P120 piano midied to an EMU B3 module through an older Barbetta amp, with the PSR on top if needed. Meets my needs very well, although I would like to upgrade the organ to something newer with drawbars and maybe a better Leslie sim. I carted a 145 for many years, and have no desire to go back to a real Leslie other than the great sound. I really enjoy playing the arranger keyboard, it's like having a backup band without all the related hassles.

I'm a Vietnam Vet (two tours with 101st Airborne 1969-71), and have all the related baggage and biases.

I'm also a displaced Cajun and, despite having infantry training at Ft. Polk in 1969. I love Louisiana, or at least Acadiana. Attended grad school at LSU, and have a number of musician friends in the Lafayette area.

Anyway, greetings to all and I look forward to being a contributing forum member.

Roger Little

#290982 - 08/11/10 07:28 AM Re: Introduction
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Welcome from Muskegon. Where are you at?

Tom

Tom

#290983 - 08/11/10 07:47 AM Re: Introduction
Zydecat Offline

Hi Tom,

I work and stay in Lansing during the week. I live and spend most weekends NW of Mt. Pleasant at Coldwater Lake.

#290984 - 08/11/10 08:30 AM Re: Introduction
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
Welcome from Monroe Roger, I am about 18 miles from the Ohio line just off I-75. I know you will have much to share.
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#290985 - 08/11/10 08:33 AM Re: Introduction
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome to SZ! If you get back to Louisiana, be sure to say hi. Go Tigers!
DonM

#290986 - 08/11/10 10:59 AM Re: Introduction
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Welcome, Roger. Judging from the time line, you and I are about the same age.

Leslie simulators are now much better. I still use a 145 and a 147 RV on one house job at a country club (we have jazz night twice a month).

Another way I get that Rotating sound "fix" is to use a little Motion Sound "top box". It's just the rotating horns-made by Motion sound. Mine's old, but I saw the new version of the Motion Sound at Summer NAMM last year. Pretty Cool!~

I lived in Oscoda and Tawas City (SP) as a kid...dad was in the Air Force there.

Glad to see you here!

Russ

#290987 - 08/11/10 11:16 AM Re: Introduction
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I also use the B3 sound as the staple in a lot of what I do... I will try to get a small clip of my sound and post it later of my current set up which is:

Roland VK-7m module
Motion Sound Pro-3X, the "top box" mentioned previously

This is probably the best sounding and closest to the real thing I have ever had in a portable....

Any other questions, let me know.

Jeff

------------------

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#290988 - 08/11/10 12:04 PM Re: Introduction
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Roger welcome to the forum! Lots of useful information here! And thank you for serving our country.

And now for some useless info. I'm a retired amateur triathlete. I live in New England when I was competing there was another competitor by the name Roger Little. I was in my late 30s early 40s at the time. Roger was in his mid 50s, I could never catch this guy in a race he was a fast swimmer, bicyclist and runner. Last time I looked he's still racing now in his mid 60s.

#290989 - 08/11/10 01:11 PM Re: Introduction
Zydecat Offline

Thanks for the welcome guys.

GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) seems to affect every serious musician I know. but highly recommended across the board. I tend to buy quality used gear - seems to me that given at least decent sounding gear it's really up to the player using it.

Thanks for the organ clone suggestions. Actually, I still like the sound of the EMU module, but miss drawbars a whole bunch. I've been hearing great things about the Ventilator, too.

At my urging, our music co-op just bought a C2 w/Trek perc/rev and a Leslie 50c converted to a 122, which I'll be picking up on Saturday. We'll use it for jams and also for backline at various events.

I know the PSR 2000 is pretty dated, but I've been very pleased with it (bought it from a forum member 2-3 years ago). My arranger playing is pretty much limited to the music room at this point, but dang it sure is fun. I also used it to play a couple Jay Ungar waltzs at funerals for my brother and mother-in-law.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about NH and other gig opportunities for an arranger instrumentalist.

We'll definitely be back in Cajun Country one of these days, and I'll give you a shout DonM.

Stephen, the closest I've gotten to a triathalon since the military is three broken ribs in an end over end mountain bike crash a few years ago - and I had to hump my bent up bike two miles back out to boot. Definitely slowed this old fart down. Oldest daughter lives in Orlando area, and is doing her first full marathon later this fall, in her mid-30s.

This is a great forum most of the time, and I'm glad to be here.

#290990 - 08/11/10 01:32 PM Re: Introduction
Zydecat Offline

Oh, and over in Lafayette, it's "Geaux Tigers".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online