SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#290954 - 08/10/10 02:22 PM Summertime ramblings...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
There isn't much to do today so I'll just say that I am pleased with the succession of Yamaha instruments I've owned. I started with a PSR 2000, moved to a 3000 then an S900. I finally settled with the S910 which I think is a very special and capable keyboard. Yamaha really has made improvements with each successive arranger. What may be next?

I still miss my Roland G70 but definitely don't want to mess with the bulk and weight issue - and yes, it is an issue for me. Since I started doing my solo NH gigs about 15 months ago I've switched from Roland G70 and CM30's to Yammy s900 -> s910 and the Bose Compact. Will Fran and Donny get me to go back to Roland with their BA330 push?

Playing the NH circuit, for me, is a godsend. I really enjoy playing for the older folks; I love the mostly one hour time frames; I love that I can continue to play and sing meaningfully; I love getting paid to do what I love to do.

#290955 - 08/10/10 05:19 PM Re: Summertime ramblings...
Dnj Offline

Cass I sense that you are a very passionate player and I'm glad your enjoying Solo life in the trenches fulfilling your dreams & making people happy with your music...
As far as Roland we'll just have to wait to see what y=the release whenever...I myself use the S90 eery day as it does a wonderful job with a few limitations for my needs. although I workaround them and get the job done for now. For my small gigs the BA330 is perfect as can be...all else I use bigger powered Mackie 15"s no problems..

Good luck Cass

#290956 - 08/12/10 08:11 AM Re: Summertime ramblings...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Cass good to hear from you. The NH circuit is the best thing that ever happened to me as well. I love it and I don't think I'll ever go back to clubs and restaurants again. I do still like the high end private parties. As for gear, the Tyros does it for me on the jog. The S900 I bought from you takes care of everything else such as college, church, recording. Right now it's at church where I am using it for Vacation Bible School. It's great. As for PA, I love the Bose compact. If I have a really big job, I have a couple of powered mixers and Eon 15's. I feel very privileged to be able to do what I love every day of my life.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#290957 - 08/12/10 08:32 AM Re: Summertime ramblings...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Cass good to hear from you. The NH circuit is the best thing that ever happened to me as well. I love it and I don't think I'll ever go back to clubs and restaurants again. I do still like the high end private parties. As for gear, the Tyros does it for me on the jog. The S900 I bought from you takes care of everything else such as college, church, recording. Right now it's at church where I am using it for Vacation Bible School. It's great. As for PA, I love the Bose compact. If I have a really big job, I have a couple of powered mixers and Eon 15's. I feel very privileged to be able to do what I love every day of my life.

Joe

When I A/B\d the Compact/Ba330 and really noticed the loss of MIDs with the Compact, that made the decision for me to sell the Compact ....plus all the great Ba330 onboard features the Bose doesnt have.

#290958 - 08/12/10 12:44 PM Re: Summertime ramblings...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Honestly, at this point in my life and my career I'm not going to mess with sub-standard equipment. Everything I've owned for the last 20+ yrs has been TOTL or very close to it. I don't mind cutting corners to save $ or weight or whatever, but I want to play the good stuff. There's no doubt the Bose and Roland offerings are good. It comes down to a subjective decision and I chose Bose before the BA330 came out. I can't see scrapping a perfectly excellent unit for another unless there's a very good reason. I'm sure the Roland is a good small STEREO PA, but stereo is not a biggie for me and not an overwhelming reason to switch. As Fran posted on the BA330 thread, it's probably not a good enough reason to switch just for switching sake. No offense to the GO Roland crowd - I love Roland gear, but I'll be keeping my Compact for the forseeable future.

Now if only Yamaha would put the s910 in a 73 case or Roland put the G70 in a lighter package...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-12-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online