SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#290527 - 07/27/10 07:06 PM Roland BA-330 review - Live!
zuki Offline

I put the 330 directly behind me, about 5', tilted up. I ran the volume about noon, with the eq set at 1:00 or so. I had the bass at noon also. No fx was used because I go through my 800. I also had my 800 speakers on, as they throw out such nice stereo volume and act as great monitors of course. (A side note, I could never play without my key speakers).

The unit was a bit to get used to at first vs Bose. It wasn't as crisp and defined and the ears had to adjust accordingly.

In summary: IMO

1. Good enough volume to handle what the specs say (100 max)
2. Great mid range and punch
3. I heard my voice very well over the mix
4. Bass was more than adequate for my size rooms
5. Wonderful inputs and the stereo sound I felt was much better/fuller.
6. Not 'boxy' like I thought it might be
7. Not as crisp as Bose.

Summary: I don't mind missing the Bose definition. I think it is very close and will have to adjust some things as the days go on. I think my pianos and instruments sounded much fuller than Bose and it could be because it's more an amp sound than a true PA sound. It's kind of like that Yamaha 'polished' sound vs the Korg 'lively' sound.

The crowd was super pleased and it was a success - everyone came up and complimented the performance. This was a retirement facility and good ears too! Good enough for me. The price and features make it a no turning back.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#290528 - 07/27/10 07:26 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, a couple comments...When you used the Bose Compact..it was extended , and the crispness you refer is probably because it was ear level...You may want to try the BA330 on a pole..and see if you think it lacks crispness...I believe just the opposite...the mids/highs of 4- 6 1/2" speakers and 2 tweeters are ideal for crisp vocals and the full range speakers are excellent for today's keyboards...

I usually keep my master EQ at 1:00 bass and 1:00 treble....

Where did you use the "tone" control(channel)..was it 12.noon..If you want to accent the crisp highs try adjusting more to the treble..maybe 1:00....keep in mind this will cut the bass a bit...but you can adjust the overall bass at the master EQ..

Personally I also like to keep the BA330 on the floor with the tilt stand active...

Did you run the channel volume and the master volume..both at 12:00?

I prefer to keep the channel and master volume at 2:00...this allows plenty of head room..

I think it is more important to maintain the volume level control on the BA330, and rely on your keyboard speakers as a monitor..

#290529 - 07/27/10 08:07 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
zuki Offline

Great points Fran and things to consider. Yes, the Bose was elevated - a big difference I didn't think about.

My master eq and treble was a bit lower than you suggest - will try that.

Will put the master at 2:00, but it seems that I'll need to really tone down the 800 volume to less than 1/2 slider! It's a powerful PA for sure. Maybe I'll try it to the side instead of behind me.

Can't wait for tomorrow to keep moving forward. Definitely a keeper.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#290530 - 07/27/10 10:07 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I use both the BA-330 and the Bose Model II. But, at the present, I prefer the new EV powered ZXA1 speakers for what I do. To me, they each have their pluses and minuses. For the most part, the type of gig and how far I have to tote the gear determines which I use. I'm not wedded to any of them. I'll change tomorrow, if I find something I like better.

#290531 - 08/06/10 08:12 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

So Zuki hows the ba300 so far?

#290532 - 08/06/10 09:03 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
zuki Offline

Great - full sound, stereo, portable, powerful. Best yet and no turning back. Much better than the Bose and 1/2 the price. I've played in many places and it fits extremely well. Anyone who doesn't think it has power/bass, should have their ears examined.

#290533 - 08/06/10 09:28 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Great - full sound, stereo, portable, powerful. Best yet and no turning back. Much better than the Bose and 1/2 the price. I've played in many places and it fits extremely well. Anyone who doesn't think it has power/bass, should have their ears examined.

Great to hear Zuki.....Fran wouldn't steer you wrong ....good luck ..I love mine I use it for so many gigs..love the portability & Flexibility also, works nice for Small DJ jobs also....if you use it correctly in the RIGHT situations it will serve you well.....for anything beyond it's limits, I just take more powerful gear to cover the room, makes for a great arsenal piece!

#290534 - 08/07/10 09:08 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am using my BA330 currently at the CrabTrap, Somers Point , NJ.

It is a perfect match for this venue...Nice clear, full sound, with plenty of volume and control for this room..

The CrabTrap has a very large bar to the left of the dance floor, and a large dining area to the right..followed by two additional dinning rooms...
The music primarily covers the bar, the dance floor, and the first dining room, but can be heard in the second dining room as well..

To state the coverage for this room is misleading we are playing to around 400 people or more...and we struggle with keeping the volume down..even with a BA330..

I also think the BA330, is the best small unit I have ever used...for sound, mixer, and routing..it can't be beat....once you get past the price..

#290535 - 08/07/10 09:13 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I am using my BA330 currently at the CrabTrap, Somers Point , NJ.

It is a perfect match for this venue...Nice clear, full sound, with plenty of volume and control for this room..

The CrabTrap has a very large bar to the left of the dance floor, and a large dining area to the right..followed by two additional dinning rooms...
The music primarily covers the bar, the dance floor, and the first dining room, but can be heard in the second dining room as well..

To state the coverage for this room is misleading we are playing to around 400 people or more...and we struggle with keeping the volume down..even with a BA330..

I also think the BA330, is the best small unit I have ever used...for sound, mixer, and routing..it can't be beat....once you get past the price..

And don't forget it's STEREO also

#290536 - 08/07/10 09:26 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Enough of this comparing the BA330 to the Compact. I'd like to know how it compares to something else, say the Roland CM30's. I started out using my 30's and then switched to the Compact. I don't have the opportunity to A/B the BA300 with anything, but Donny, and maybe Fran at one time tried the CM30. So guys, how would a pair of them match up to the 300, especially in tonality - do they sound similar enough or is there a difference in sound.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online