SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#290557 - 08/10/10 07:18 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Hey Zuki

I guess I'm one of the people that needs to have my "ears exmined". I sent my BA330 back. A/B'd it against a 12" PA cabinet w/yamaha powered mixer and then a 10" cabinet. Both blew it away in volume and bass. 220 watts for the Yamaha mixer and 30 for the Roland--simple huh??
No, not stereo and two pieces vrs. one but for small gigs who cares that much.
And as I have posted since I may give it another shot if I can locate one locally.
Perhaps you should consider the type of crowd and music played before making comments about others opinions. NH, cocktail party OK, but dance music??

Bill in NJ

#290558 - 08/10/10 07:32 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

Get the R-10 Rock & Roller cart. I've been using one for years, and I modified it with a second tier of my own design. It's quick, easy, safe and reliable.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#290559 - 08/10/10 01:12 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
Hey Zuki

I guess I'm one of the people that needs to have my "ears exmined". I sent my BA330 back. A/B'd it against a 12" PA cabinet w/yamaha powered mixer and then a 10" cabinet. Both blew it away in volume and bass. 220 watts for the Yamaha mixer and 30 for the Roland--simple huh??
No, not stereo and two pieces vrs. one but for small gigs who cares that much.
And as I have posted since I may give it another shot if I can locate one locally.
Perhaps you should consider the type of crowd and music played before making comments about others opinions. NH, cocktail party OK, but dance music??

Bill in NJ

Didn't think I aimed my comment towards you, but sorry anyway. Curious why you would even consider 30 watts if you play dance music? I sure wouldn't.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#290560 - 08/10/10 01:37 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

Watts is only a numbers game played by the manufactureres to make you buy...
dont believe what they say just use your own ears..

#290561 - 08/11/10 06:34 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
What type of gigs is everyone doing with this BA330? I know Fran pumps backing dance tracks and two strong singers through his system so I guess he considered the 30 watts, although I still would have to hear it to believe it. I will make it a point to get to the Crabtrap soon. The foods good too Fran -- HA!
Even on a NH gig I do stuff like "Just a Gigolo" with a layered piano/bass in the LH. When i had a BA330 I tried it and other similar tunes and you could hear the speakers strain or as we used to say "fart". The thing maxes out way too soon, especially for the price.
I also noticed Fran has a new $1000 amp for solo stuff and someone else brings a second amp for his LH bass stuff. sooooo?? The BA330 on a pole with a small sub (anyone know of a good one?) would be great but here we are back to two pieces. For the price of those two I would go for a SA300, If I could find one to test.

Bill in NJ

#290562 - 08/11/10 08:42 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, I auditioned the B330, but just in my office. I just couldn't see how it was going to handle much. To be fair, I didn't use it on a job. However, I didn't like to how it sounded. It's great we have so many good choices.
DonM

#290563 - 08/11/10 11:50 AM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
What type of gigs is everyone doing with this BA330? I know Fran pumps backing dance tracks and two strong singers through his system so I guess he considered the 30 watts, although I still would have to hear it to believe it. I will make it a point to get to the Crabtrap soon. The foods good too Fran -- HA!
Even on a NH gig I do stuff like "Just a Gigolo" with a layered piano/bass in the LH. When i had a BA330 I tried it and other similar tunes and you could hear the speakers strain or as we used to say "fart". The thing maxes out way too soon, especially for the price.
I also noticed Fran has a new $1000 amp for solo stuff and someone else brings a second amp for his LH bass stuff. sooooo?? The BA330 on a pole with a small sub (anyone know of a good one?) would be great but here we are back to two pieces. For the price of those two I would go for a SA300, If I could find one to test.

Bill in NJ

Why doesn't anyone understand the use for of this amp for "SMALL GIGS" in Stereo?....again many trying to make it do things beyond it's limits...I use it every day with fantatsic results on my
"SMALL GIGS" 50-80 pp......with no problem..

My Bigger gigs 100-400pp require Bigger gear....obviously. Roland IMO has a winner in the BA330!

#290564 - 08/11/10 01:57 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I liked a lot of its features and it sounded pretty good in my small space. However, I already had several units suitable for small jobs.
I wouldn't dispute that it does a great job for any of you who use it as it is intended.
DonM

#290565 - 08/11/10 02:16 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
"as it is intended."
DonM

now you got it right!

secondly any amp by itself has no sound......it's what goes thru the amp that matters

#290566 - 08/11/10 02:50 PM Re: Roland BA-330 review - Live!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
What type of gigs is everyone doing with this BA330?...
The BA330 on a pole with a small sub (anyone know of a good one?) would be great but here we are back to two pieces.

Thanks Bill and Don M for your insights. Not having heard or played thru a BA330 I certainly have no opinion of its sound. I asked earlier about its sound in comparison to CM30 monitors and really only got Donny's opinion. Similar to Bill, I've found the CM30's to be rough and max out too early also. That was my concern.

Donny, let me just ask this - if I'm using and am happy with a Bose Compact, why should I go out and get a BA330? Are you saying you like the BA better than the Compact? I understand the difference in price, and that might sway me if I were buying into those class amps, but already having one kinda seems to cancel out the need to switch - unless there is a very big reason to switch.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online