SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#289572 - 06/29/10 06:06 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Good luck with your Technics, sometimes the oldies are just a good as the new ones.

#289573 - 06/29/10 11:58 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Don I understand they are not backwards compatible, but EMC Styleworks converts easily...So I can use the newer KN styles..

Try http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page7.html

#289574 - 06/30/10 01:00 AM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
Some of those old Kn2000 3rd party styles were great. Especially the Americana series.
They included user voices which unfortunately didn't always then play back well on the newer keyboards.
I think the 2 models I enjoyed the most were the KN2, such a leap forward from my kn800.
My favourite was the kn7.

Congratulations fran, hope you enjoy your kn2.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
[B] But – there were third party styles sold for the Kn2000.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#289575 - 06/30/10 09:02 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Fran

I have been using a KN2000 for many years and I have found it perfectly suited to the type of music I play. When my original started to show its age, I found one on ebay, near where I live, for $300, demoed it and grabbed it. I have used it ever since. I has really usable electric pianos, organs, keyboards, basses, pads, etc...and one of the demos has an amazing piano that I have been unable to replicate using the on-board pianos. I usually split the board and play left hand bass (it does not have on-bass) and layer the right hand with pianos/organs/brass, etc...turning the layers on and off as needed. I use the accompaniments sparingly - either only drums or some minmal three piece rhythm section with me on LH bass. Recently I was playing a wedding with a sax and a conga player. I happened to dial in an acoustic bass/acoustic piano (piano 1, I think) split and they both commented on how natural it sounded and the blend with the two other musicians was great. I had never used that particular set-up before but I will again, rest assured.

While I am in no hurry to replace the board, I am waiting to see the new kurzweil SP-4 stage piano. I know its not an arranger, but its compact size and light weight coupled with the (IMHO) stellar sounds taken from the PC3 makes it an irresistable 76 key portable board.

#289576 - 06/30/10 10:14 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
ykc....that is exactly the way I prefer playing arranger keyboard too..
I will receive the KN2000 on Friday..

I have heard the KN2000 a few years ago..the guy played left hand bass with drums and organ and sax on the right hand..I liked what I heard..it did sound fat and live..

I don't expect in to make me stop playing the G70 or Prelude...but I bet I will play it often...I actually use a lot of KN2000 styles converted to my G70 now..

#289577 - 07/01/10 06:54 AM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Fran
I would like to hear your impressions of the KN compared to the Roland E50/60. I am not even sure the E's are available anymore but I know you owned/played one. I was consodering one a while back.

Also, have you heard anything about the kurzweil board I mentions - the sp4-7?

#289578 - 07/01/10 07:58 AM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
Fran Carango Offline

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=207

It looks to be the updated model of the SP76...Still 64 polyphony..I don't see any big improvements spec wise...

Maybe a better understanding of the new model after a hands on trial..

#289579 - 07/01/10 08:26 AM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
....... I have heard the KN2000 a few years ago...I liked what I heard..it did sound fat and live..

I don't expect in to make me stop playing the G70 or Prelude...but I bet I will play it often...I actually use a lot of KN2000 styles converted to my G70 now..

Congrats!

No, you're probably not going to stop play G-70 or other keyboards. Remember KN2k have some years on it's back,
and some early items have/had problems load certain midifiles if saved on (I think it was) 0 format.
That problem and some small bugs was fixed in a update done by replace 2 rom chips.
Don't misunderstand me, the KN2k is a great keyboard, you're going to love the userfriendly OS, Panelmemories
and Composer. Floppydisks are nowadays a kind of "old fashion" and slow, but back then it was great....
Still my favourites are: #2 - KN3000 and #1 - is KN5000! But of course, it's only my personal humble opinion.

I'll look into my stuff and try pick something to make you see and hear the machine in action. Have fun!

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#289580 - 07/02/10 02:27 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
Fran Carango Offline

Well...I got the KN2000 today..It is about near mint as you could expect..It doesn't show signs of wear at all...It looks to have been kept in the SKB case ..

My first impression..is a mixed bag...

The key touch is the lightest touch of any of my present boards...namely the Roland G70, Prelude, A-33..and the MediaStation..

The sounds are okay ..considering 17 year old technology..

I like the on board styles, but the conversion of the KN2000 styles to my G70 ..are light night and day better...The newer tones of the G70 make the styles better..especially drums...

I dislike the "old" saving and loading technology...and the Technics format of data..

I can not find a way of turning one touch off completely on the KN2000..When I switch to certain variations it always goes back to one touch settings..I have never been a fan of any keyboard with one touch use...I want my basic go to sounds..only..

I seem to recall reading about this being a "bug" on the KN2k...and that there was a update fix (Rom)..

The mapping of the drums is disappointing.I have played drums manually for decades and the swapping location of cymbals..I didn't need..

The speakers are great..loud and don't break up at all...and I love the inputs too..

I was asked how the KN2000 compared to the E60....It doesn't at all..Different technology 15 years apart...

I would rather have a E60 sitting here right now than the KN2000..

The Kn2000 does have some neat goodies for it's time...
I will spend some more time with it over the weekend...and report my additional thoughts..

Don't misunderstand me...the KN2000 is just about what I expected..and I may keep it..maybe for a long time..

but it is not a replacement for my Prelude...not even close..

Just in case...if someone is interested in this Excellent like new KN2000 with the SKB hard case...if I decide to sell...Email me..

#289581 - 07/02/10 04:40 PM Re: Technics SX-KN 2000
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well maintained 50 yr.old B3, no problem.
Well maintained 100 yr. old Steinway, no problem.
Well maintained 17 yr. old synth, no way.

One is 100% craftsmanship - the Steinway.
One is 50% craftsmanship, 25% technology, and 25% genius - the B3.
One is 100% technology (17 yr.old technology) - the KN2000.

MiniMoogs and Prophet 5's still sound pretty good but who needs them, 'cause now we've got the Mediastation . Time marches on. So should you. Donate that thing to the Smithsonian or send it to James to sample. Patents should have expired by now .

chas

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online