Technics SX-KN 2000

Posted by: Fran Carango

Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 05:08 PM

I was off tonight....and don't you know...I have been looking at a mint, one owner KN2000 for a week....so I didn't have anything to do...so I bought it...

I recall the consensus...that the KN2000 was one of the best arranger keyboards..I remember it retailed for $3,000 in 1993...

I have heard it gigged a couple times and it always did sound "live" or at least non digital...

Some of my favorite styles are from the KN2000...

Anyone have any input...and want to tell me somethings about the 2000...since I have to wait till next week to play it...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-26-2010).]
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 05:51 PM

http://www.wikizic.org/Technics-KN2000/videos-1.htm
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 06:26 PM

Wow, Fran Carango with a Technics keyboard.
Feel free to ask -- there may be some styles available.

John C.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Wow, Fran Carango with a Technics keyboard.
Feel free to ask -- there may be some styles available.

John C.

Hey John...I noticed you where changing the keyboard of your choice (KN7000 instead of Tyros3)...so I figured I should at least try the one that most people commented favorably...

BTW: I understand exactly the reason you preferred the difference in sound...I feel the same way..thus the reason the Tyros3 had a short stay with me...

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 06:58 PM

I forgot to mention..I did a search here on SZ..for input about the KN2000..This is where I found many positive comments about the KN2000....namely, Gunnar, Roel and DonM..
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 07:50 PM

Fran ... best of luck with that classic board !!! ... Can't wait to here something from it ...
t.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 07:52 PM

PS ... you might want to post on the 'technics' page for info ...
t.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 08:21 PM

Too bad Technics styles are not backward compatable, a fault of Technics, along with the default save of a sequence as a Technics file that often frustrated many. I had a KN3000 for a long time, a very rugged keyboard that gave me much satisfaction for years.
Lately buying an older board seems to be a cool thing to do, and I wouldn't mind giving it a go ...just for the fun of it.
Keep us posted...
Larry

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/26/10 08:27 PM

Of the 100's keyboards I have owned over the years..I never "owned" a KN series...I did own a WSA-1...

I have played the KN1600, KN5000,KN6000 and KN7000, but never wanted to own one..

Listening to on line demos..it does sound like the KN2000 is richer than the newer models..Newer models seem to sound a bit thinner (at least on youtube)...Any comments about the difference in sound?

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/27/10 06:46 AM

Fran,
I thought of how I could help and the only thing that comes to my mind is with styles. I have a friend that purchased many Technote styles finding the good ones is a job. For now I would say sit with the keyboard and then ask us about what you want it to do.

Keyboards act a bit funny – With all the controls on the Ty3 and the controls on my Kn7000 my voice (Mic) sounds the best by far on my Kn5000 without making any adjustments. It is also a fact that as age keeps coming we do not hear the sound as we did when we were younger. I was shopping for an acoustic guitar recently and found that the sound was not what I was looking for -–but it was close. I tried it again and noticed that when I directed my right ear towards the guitar it fell short. When I directed my left ear toward the guitar the sound improved a great deal.

I have a hearing aid for my right ear to bring the clarity I need to tune a pianos, this enables me to still offer a fine tuning. I wonder how many of us comment on what we hear and not what’s real.

John C.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/27/10 12:20 PM

John
You just opened up another can of worms with that question. I am sure many of us are lulled into thinking the sax on our own particular keyboard is the real thing. We then take a reality check with a band.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/27/10 12:22 PM

Fran
BTW congrats on your new(old) acquisition. We are now both Roland/Technics musos

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/28/10 08:04 PM

Bernie...John....Do you have a link where I could download the factory KN7000 styles..
Posted by: trident

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 04:36 AM

I remember reading somewhere that a certain key combination on startup would launch a Pac Man game on this Technics.

Tried to find a reference on the net, no luck. Maybe it's a hoax.
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 05:14 AM

http://createsongstyles.com/forum/index.php?topic=12332.0

------------------
createsongstyles.com

newmusicroom.com
Posted by: DonM

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 10:45 AM

Fran, it was a great keyboard in its time.
You can't use later Technics Styles though, they weren't backward compatible.
DonM

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 10:56 AM

Fran
I am afraid Technics is backward compatible, but not forward.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Fran, it was a great keyboard in its time.
You can't use later Technics Styles though, they weren't backward compatible.
DonM

Don I understand they are not backwards compatible, but EMC Styleworks converts easily...So I can use the newer KN styles..
I haven't found a link to the original KN7000 styles yet....Thanks rphillipchuk for your link..

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Fran

Fran,
Backwards compatible – the newer model can play the older model’s styles. The opposite is only possible if you rework the file with an outside program. Normally the results are fair. But – there were third party styles sold for the Kn2000.

This is opinion; Do not use the keyboard by trying to make it do what it was not intended to do. Use the keyboard as it was intended and enjoy what so many have found to be good. It's an old keyboard with a special sound, no more. Many keyboard users have held an older model refusing to part with it. Psr 2100, Psr3100, Dx7 they were like old friends offering a great special feeling that their newer keyboards did not. This is the value of the Kn2000.

I may have posted this before – My voice sounds much better on my Kn5000 then it does on the Kn7000 or Tyros3, go and figgure.

Hope this helps, John c.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Fran

That's what I said, only backwards.
DonM
Posted by: mc

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 06:06 PM

Good luck with your Technics, sometimes the oldies are just a good as the new ones.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/29/10 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Don I understand they are not backwards compatible, but EMC Styleworks converts easily...So I can use the newer KN styles..

Try http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page7.html
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/30/10 01:00 AM

Hi John,
Some of those old Kn2000 3rd party styles were great. Especially the Americana series.
They included user voices which unfortunately didn't always then play back well on the newer keyboards.
I think the 2 models I enjoyed the most were the KN2, such a leap forward from my kn800.
My favourite was the kn7.

Congratulations fran, hope you enjoy your kn2.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
[B] But – there were third party styles sold for the Kn2000.
Posted by: ykc

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/30/10 09:02 PM

Fran

I have been using a KN2000 for many years and I have found it perfectly suited to the type of music I play. When my original started to show its age, I found one on ebay, near where I live, for $300, demoed it and grabbed it. I have used it ever since. I has really usable electric pianos, organs, keyboards, basses, pads, etc...and one of the demos has an amazing piano that I have been unable to replicate using the on-board pianos. I usually split the board and play left hand bass (it does not have on-bass) and layer the right hand with pianos/organs/brass, etc...turning the layers on and off as needed. I use the accompaniments sparingly - either only drums or some minmal three piece rhythm section with me on LH bass. Recently I was playing a wedding with a sax and a conga player. I happened to dial in an acoustic bass/acoustic piano (piano 1, I think) split and they both commented on how natural it sounded and the blend with the two other musicians was great. I had never used that particular set-up before but I will again, rest assured.

While I am in no hurry to replace the board, I am waiting to see the new kurzweil SP-4 stage piano. I know its not an arranger, but its compact size and light weight coupled with the (IMHO) stellar sounds taken from the PC3 makes it an irresistable 76 key portable board.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 06/30/10 10:14 PM

ykc....that is exactly the way I prefer playing arranger keyboard too..
I will receive the KN2000 on Friday..

I have heard the KN2000 a few years ago..the guy played left hand bass with drums and organ and sax on the right hand..I liked what I heard..it did sound fat and live..

I don't expect in to make me stop playing the G70 or Prelude...but I bet I will play it often...I actually use a lot of KN2000 styles converted to my G70 now..
Posted by: ykc

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/01/10 06:54 AM

Fran
I would like to hear your impressions of the KN compared to the Roland E50/60. I am not even sure the E's are available anymore but I know you owned/played one. I was consodering one a while back.

Also, have you heard anything about the kurzweil board I mentions - the sp4-7?

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/01/10 07:58 AM

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=207

It looks to be the updated model of the SP76...Still 64 polyphony..I don't see any big improvements spec wise...

Maybe a better understanding of the new model after a hands on trial..
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/01/10 08:26 AM

Quote:
....... I have heard the KN2000 a few years ago...I liked what I heard..it did sound fat and live..

I don't expect in to make me stop playing the G70 or Prelude...but I bet I will play it often...I actually use a lot of KN2000 styles converted to my G70 now..

Congrats!

No, you're probably not going to stop play G-70 or other keyboards. Remember KN2k have some years on it's back,
and some early items have/had problems load certain midifiles if saved on (I think it was) 0 format.
That problem and some small bugs was fixed in a update done by replace 2 rom chips.
Don't misunderstand me, the KN2k is a great keyboard, you're going to love the userfriendly OS, Panelmemories
and Composer. Floppydisks are nowadays a kind of "old fashion" and slow, but back then it was great....
Still my favourites are: #2 - KN3000 and #1 - is KN5000! But of course, it's only my personal humble opinion.

I'll look into my stuff and try pick something to make you see and hear the machine in action. Have fun!

Cheers
GJ

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 02:27 PM

Well...I got the KN2000 today..It is about near mint as you could expect..It doesn't show signs of wear at all...It looks to have been kept in the SKB case ..

My first impression..is a mixed bag...

The key touch is the lightest touch of any of my present boards...namely the Roland G70, Prelude, A-33..and the MediaStation..

The sounds are okay ..considering 17 year old technology..

I like the on board styles, but the conversion of the KN2000 styles to my G70 ..are light night and day better...The newer tones of the G70 make the styles better..especially drums...

I dislike the "old" saving and loading technology...and the Technics format of data..

I can not find a way of turning one touch off completely on the KN2000..When I switch to certain variations it always goes back to one touch settings..I have never been a fan of any keyboard with one touch use...I want my basic go to sounds..only..

I seem to recall reading about this being a "bug" on the KN2k...and that there was a update fix (Rom)..

The mapping of the drums is disappointing.I have played drums manually for decades and the swapping location of cymbals..I didn't need..

The speakers are great..loud and don't break up at all...and I love the inputs too..

I was asked how the KN2000 compared to the E60....It doesn't at all..Different technology 15 years apart...

I would rather have a E60 sitting here right now than the KN2000..

The Kn2000 does have some neat goodies for it's time...
I will spend some more time with it over the weekend...and report my additional thoughts..

Don't misunderstand me...the KN2000 is just about what I expected..and I may keep it..maybe for a long time..

but it is not a replacement for my Prelude...not even close..

Just in case...if someone is interested in this Excellent like new KN2000 with the SKB hard case...if I decide to sell...Email me..
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 04:40 PM

Well maintained 50 yr.old B3, no problem.
Well maintained 100 yr. old Steinway, no problem.
Well maintained 17 yr. old synth, no way.

One is 100% craftsmanship - the Steinway.
One is 50% craftsmanship, 25% technology, and 25% genius - the B3.
One is 100% technology (17 yr.old technology) - the KN2000.

MiniMoogs and Prophet 5's still sound pretty good but who needs them, 'cause now we've got the Mediastation . Time marches on. So should you. Donate that thing to the Smithsonian or send it to James to sample. Patents should have expired by now .

chas

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 04:54 PM

Chas, every time I re-visit the past..even my favorite keyboards of yesteryear..I always come away with the same thoughts..."What was I thinking?"..

My long list includes but not limited to:

The almighty Hammond B3..
Roland JX8p, JX10p, D70, JV1000, XP80, E86,G800 etc..
Rhodes..
I am talking about my favorites...when I re purchased them...the novelty wore out in an hour's time...
I am so glad I have the G70 and Media Station.......for now..

As for the KN2000..I think I am going to like it more..at least it is made well and was a quality piece....I mean really..I could have bought a PSR2100..

The key action is not awful and they are not under sized as the PSR2100 I mentioned..They are definitely more playable..

Most likely I will try using the KN2000 independently with a Lap top..

So for now..and I will try hard..to remain...a Technics owner...
Posted by: miden

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
MiniMoogs and Prophet 5's still sound pretty good but who needs them, 'cause now we've got the Mediastation

Sorry Chas, disagree (unless of course it was tongue in cheek )...These are super instruments as are your B3's...They can never be replaced by software clones, EVER!! imo.

The only issue, these days is how much you need to spend to buy one, and how difficult it is to replace componentry.

If I had the $'s there would be one of all of these in my studio now!! If I was still in a full band, they would be part of the stage rig too.... Although perhaps NOT the B3 too bloody heavy!!!

Dennis
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Sorry Chas, disagree (unless of course it was tongue in cheek )...

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek. I think Fran knows by now when I'm just yanking his chain.

chas

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 05:26 PM

Okay cool Chas, I still stand by my comments re the actual instruments though

Dennis

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 07:11 PM

I spent the last hour or so ..setting up edited sounds saved to the memory bank..I then set up my "easy eight" drums..That would be the go to rhythms...I also set up the bass , and right hand sounds (including color sounds)....These settings are saved to panel memories...I have arranger turned off on these memories....

So what does this do for me...simple..It takes me back to prior 1993 (year the kn2000 came out)...when I played left hand bass and piano with drums and a color sound...It works perfect this way..

Now if I can figure a way that the one touch settings stay off and not interfere with my settings when I use the arranger in variation mode..

Any help from Technics people would be appreciated...

The more time I spend with the KN2000..and not compare it to the G70 , but stand on it's own merits...the more I like it..

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 07:32 PM

Quote:
The more time I spend with the KN2000..and not compare it to the G70 , but stand on it's own merits...the more I like it..

Yep, that is definitely the way to go Fran

Its like comparing a Rhodes to a Wurly, totally different instruments

Glad to see you are embracing this new addition to your stage arsenal.

Dennis

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/02/10 08:11 PM

Good luck with it Fran.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 04:33 AM

Quote:

The oft repeated sales pitch has now begun

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
The oft repeated sales pitch has now begun

For sale!!!

G70
Prelude
MS

This Kn2000 is perfect...No need for the above boards now...

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 06:38 AM

you forget your accordion also!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-03-2010).]

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Don't get carried away!!!..

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 07:06 AM

Quote:
Don't get carried away!!!..

Oh man Im so excited now I'm gonna take out my GALANTE andf play
"LADY OF SPAIN" complete with bellows shake..

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 07:41 AM

Quote:
I spent the last hour or so ..setting up edited sounds saved to the memory bank..I then set up my "easy eight" drums..That would be the go to rhythms...I also set up the bass , and right hand sounds (including color sounds)....These settings are saved to panel memories...I have arranger turned off on these memories....

So what does this do for me...simple..It takes me back to prior 1993 (year the kn2000 came out)...when I played left hand bass and piano with drums and a color sound...It works perfect this way..

Now if I can figure a way that the one touch settings stay off and not interfere with my settings when I use the arranger in variation mode..

Any help from Technics people would be appreciated...

Fran ... post for help on the 'technics' page ... that's why it's there ...
t.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Accordionists don't sell their accordions ...

t.

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Accordionists don't sell their accordions ...

t.

That's right...we leave them to our survivors...then they can sell them at the garage sale...

Re: Technics SX-KN 2000 - 07/03/10 08:50 AM

I figured it out...There are only an original and a variation to each style...I thought the "music style arranger" button next to the "one touch" button was for variations..but this button is only for one touch settings...and it eventually overrides the panel memory set up I wrote..
So, I refrain from selecting the MSA button, and live with the 2 style selections...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-03-2010).]