SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#287175 - 05/07/10 11:29 PM What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
This should be interesting. It would probably be good to mention the type of gig and age group.

#287176 - 05/08/10 12:50 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Scott:

In my experience with "Senior Ballroom Dances" and also depends where within an area, here in Arizona, in the Sun City area and Sun City West right next to each other, are different some more upbeat other slower.

To fill the dance floor in General (in my area), usually a Medium Foxtrot does the trick, for older "seniors", usually a Waltz.

The new "baby boomer seniors" more upbeat tempos, songs like A crazy little thing called love, Rock-Swing type, or R&R 50's/60's.

------------------
mdorantes

#287177 - 05/13/10 12:02 PM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thank you for your input.

#287178 - 05/13/10 10:23 PM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
My band mainly plays for Baby Boomers or younger I guess. Like Scott said "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" works but so does the AC/DC we play "Back In Black" and "You Shook Me". But our audience also likes dancing slow to tunes like "Beautiful Tonight" and "Angel Baby". Dancers like to mix it up a bit rather than having constant up tempo music.
Slow dancing gives them a chance to dance close and cuddle a bit.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-13-2010).]

#287179 - 05/14/10 05:34 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
124 Offline

Driving My Life Away
Hot Stuff
You Sexy Thing
What The Hell I Got
Squeezebox
Please Please Me

These seem to be the ones that'll encourage a slowish crowd to get off their duffs. I think it's partly due to the strong, familiar intros and 'uppy' tempos on these songs. That's not to say that doesn't apply to many other songs, so there may be other forces at work here.

Good topic, Scott.

#287180 - 05/14/10 05:38 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
124 Offline

I meant to add that we play mainly for boomer and up crowds, though there are usually some thirtysometings around, too.

#287181 - 05/14/10 06:24 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Dnj Offline

if you ask your self this question your really shouldn't be playing in front of people until you have enough experience watching others and absorbing. It takes many many years to be effective in a dance situation don't kid yourself. Don't become one of those "I only Care about the money" type players that I see all over.B ut in a way I can only thank them.....because the more they play.... the more jobs I get.. !

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-14-2010).]

#287182 - 05/14/10 08:17 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
if you ask your self this question your really shouldn't be playing in front of people.

I disagree....some may be inexperienced, but does not mean do not play for people..The question is legitimate...for the folks that are trying to improve...
The most important thing is playing well....you will know what to play..soon after..

#287183 - 05/14/10 08:38 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I disagree....some may be inexperienced, but does not mean do not play for people..The question is legitimate...for the folks that are trying to improve...
The most important thing is playing well....you will know what to play..soon after..

Hmmmmmmmm?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-14-2010).]

#287184 - 05/14/10 09:26 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This is a valid question for several reasons...
A person may not be experienced in playing for 'dances' and would like to know what people are playing for various types of gigs ... this is a question that has appeared here in many ways i.e. "what songs to play for: a Bar Mistvah; a NH; a 50's party; etc., etc.
Because a person may not have the EXPERIENCE in playing 'dances' does not mean he/she doesn't have the ABILITY to play those gigs and play them well ...
It is true that experience means a lot, but NO ONE starts out being experienced ...

And maybe the asker is just being inquisitive as to what people are playing for various types of gigs ...
JMHO,
t.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online