SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#282875 - 03/08/10 03:53 PM Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
ytlevine Offline

After using the Tyros 3 for an extended time, and loving the keybed and sounds (among other things), I'm thinking about finally upgrading from my PSR 3000.
I have a bunch of friends who use the Korg Pa800, and a bunch who use the Tyros 3. I looked at the Ketron keyboards a bit, but I think it makes the most sense for me to stick to one of these.
So I'm gonna cram a few questions into one topic (hope no one minds
1) Has anyone heard anything about the Tyros 4, and when it might be coming out? I'm not in such a rush to upgrade, and if the T4 would be coming out in a few months, I'd rather wait for that.
2) I know there are numerous topics about the Tyros 3 vs the Pa800 (I don't need 76 keys, and I don't like weighted keys, so I would stick with the Pa800, not the Pa2x Pro).
I'm going to be using almost all my own styles anyway, so it basically comes down to the voices and sounds.
So based on sounds, which one do people think is better?
And I have heard that, at least compared to the T2, the Korg had a more "punchy" sound. Is that still the case, that the styles will sound more punchy and pumping on the the Korg?
3) And I know that there are some options for expandability and additional options on the Korg, and some on the T3. Does that make a lot of a difference, and is one a lot better than the other?
4) I am not so into editing sounds (besides some basic volume and maybe octave changes - whatever's in the first voice settings panel on my PSR 3000).
Are there a lot more options for tweaking the sounds on either keyboard, and if I'd rather not have to edit everything for it to sound good, is there one that will be a lot easier to use "out of the box" with minimum voice editing?
5) I've been using some styles I bought from someone else, which I haven't really edited much on the keyboard itself. The only thing I've had to do is convert them to the keyboard I'm using, and for any other editing I've needed to do, I've done that on the computer, using the various tools that are available.
In that department, is there a big difference between the keyboards and style formats, and what's available for editing them?
I think that's it for now...
Thanks a lot!!

Yitzchok

#282876 - 03/08/10 04:05 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
In my opinion, the yamaha has better acoustic sounds, guitars, strings, pianos flutes saxes in pretty much every category really except the drums. But the korg has far more editing capabilities and has far more assignable features than the Yamaha.

From what you have said the yamaha would seem to be the way to go.

By the way i own the Korg PA1X but would never swap it but i more than likely use my instrument differently than you would use yours.

#282877 - 03/08/10 05:36 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Deleted

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 03-09-2010).]

#282878 - 03/08/10 11:42 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:

It is clear that the Korgs sound much better then the Yamaha Tyros and Psr series.

I guess you mean: "I like the Korgs sound much better then the Yamaha Tyros and Psr series."

Objective measures for sound does not exist.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#282879 - 03/09/10 01:32 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Yitzchok
NOTE: These are my personal observations; however as always try before you buy. (Never under any circumstances make a decision using just online demos)

The typical life cycle of a Yamaha is 3 years, so it’s good for some time yet.

The Yamaha is a pre-set instrument that is aimed straight at the home player, therefore everything is done for you, (Balance, Style levels, voices etc.) so is good to go straight OOTB.
The Korg, although designed for the home player, is a trickle down from their Pro-Line so maybe not quite as well balanced OOTB, but its flexibility makes the Tyros 3 look like a Karaoke machine.
If you’re used to the way Yamaha do things, then there is quite a learning curve when moving over to the Korg OS.

SOUNDS:
Compared to the Tyros 2, I find the Tyros 3 to have a very compressed Mp3 type sound, whereas the Tyros 2 was CD like. (Exceptions are the SA2 voices)
The Korg on the other hand sounds more like a live performance, (Which is always my preference) but is not for everybody.

SA2 sounds are superb, (Although VSTi have had better for donkey’s years) but limited in what you can do with them, however the Korg DNC takes articulation to a whole new level (For a hardware board) allowing you full control over the multiple articulations, however the downside is that to get the best out of them you have to put some work in.

STYLES:
The Yamaha gives you everything (Including the kitchen sink) so tend to be very song specific, whereas the Korg allows you more flexibility to play what you want to play, rather then what the style dictates you to play. (This is the main reason why Yamaha styles (Particularly IMO the repetitive Megavoice styles) are my least favourite out there)

FINALLY:
To reiterate, always try before you buy, (As it’s a very personal choice, and not one suits all) if there are no dealers in your area, go onto the respective forums (Or ring the nearest dealer) to see if anyone has one in your area that you can try. (Most will be happy to show them off)
Remember: The choice is yours and yours alone.

Hope this helps

Bill

BTW: If I was restricted to a hardware board, my personal preference would be the Korg. (Fortunately there are plenty of software boards out there, so I don’t have to make that decision)

#282880 - 03/09/10 04:19 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I pretty much agree with Bill's assessment except that I have no personal knowledge of the differences between the T2 and the T3. Given what you have stated in your original post, I also think that you would be happier with the Yamaha. Like Bill, I too would choose the Korg if I had to choose just one, but that is based purely on subjectivity and should not be considered when choosing a keyboard for yourself. Your needs, tastes, applications, and work style, may be completlely different from the other persons.

chas

#282881 - 03/09/10 05:16 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
FransN Offline

deleted

#282882 - 03/09/10 05:20 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
It is a proven fact.

Geez, how often do we have to revisit Stupidland.

chas

#282883 - 03/09/10 05:25 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
FransN Offline

Are we getting personal again?

I have deleted my posts because I can't give any opinion without getting insulted.

#282884 - 03/09/10 06:01 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
It all comes down to personal taste, these boards are all fantastic.

There are some definite sour points, like Yamaha's sub par vocalizer, Korg's fill integration.

But if you are talented and know how to make music, you will do fine with any of these keyboards.

Don't fall slave to " Technology will make me better" that's my thing, and after hundreds of thousands of dollars, it doesn't work.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online