SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#282885 - 03/09/10 07:10 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm not sure whether it's unfamiliarity with English, again, Frans, but 'It's a proven fact' is NOT an opinion. It's a declaration of FACT, and has nothing whatsoever to do with opinion.

In actual fact, the only way you can PROVE something about an opinion about sound is to provide example for your opinions, and get the majority to agree with you.

If you think that Korg (or any keyboard) is 'better' than any other, provide your example playing it, and see what people think. And even then, don't expect many to agree with you...

#282886 - 03/09/10 07:48 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Well I have decide not to give my opinion or whatever answer anymore on this kind of questions. BTW I don't have to prove anything. There are a lot demos online of how the Korg PA's sound. I make my decision of buying a Korg listening to these demo's and comparing them in the music store.

#282887 - 03/09/10 08:10 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Some random thoughts...

Both boards are superb.

If it's important to you to be able to replace ANY onboard style with ANY that you prefer, Korg lets you do that. Yamaha's are fixed, except for the user section.

Korg's drums can't be beat. (pun intended)-they are in-your-face LIVE.

Korg's controllers allow a great deal of expression once you learn the OS.

Yamaha's woodwinds rule. (The 'sweet soprano sax' - even on the entry level PSRs blows away anything Korg has to offer).

Korg's styles are interesting. The style loops are often longer by a measure or two. Plus when intros are played in a minor key, the Pa800 will sometimes play a totally different intro than when played in a major key.

OS is a major hurdle on Korg, especially if you are accustomed to Yamaha's OS. When I first played a Korg, I turned my nose up at the quality of what I was hearing. One needs to give it time. Now I am amazed at what I get out of the Pa800 - and also very pleased with its roommate - the S910. Two different boards, each with their own set of positives and negatives.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#282888 - 03/09/10 08:29 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Ditto to what both Frankieve and Coaster Tim have posted. Since getting into this arranger scene I've been thru as many boards as some people change clothing ( bit of an exaggertion). I've gone full circle, PSR3k, Tyro2, G70, Pa800, Korg Pa2xPro (still have) and now my preferred for gigging S910. They all work as we know, it's who the musician is. Currently, I give the edge to my s910 because 90% of what I do is for seniors. My perception is they prefer the Yamaha sound. ( just my perception! )

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-09-2010).]

#282889 - 03/09/10 08:30 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, "Stupidland" was a poor choice of words, but let me make it absolutely clear that I was referring to the statement "...proven fact", and not the person. It's just that we've been down this road so many times and everybody agrees that the rating of the quality of the sounds and styles in any keyboard is purely subjective. SUBJECTIVE. SUBJECTIVE. To those for whom English is a second (or third or fourth) language, this means (roughly), "Okay, so that's YOUR opinion, now here's MINE".

There is a difference between opinion and fact. For example:
'The G70 is too darn heavy' - fact
'The Audya is overpriced' - fact
'Fran is full of it' - fact

'Jazz is superior to other musical forms' - opinion (based of fact )
'Tony works for Ketron's competitors - opinion (but strongly held)
'Diki knows everything, period' - opinion (mostly held by himself)

The quality of this post is also highly subjective.

chas

#282890 - 03/09/10 08:37 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
ytlevine Offline

Thanks all for the responses so far, and sorry if I caused any sort of fight here...
Looking for more opinions, and another question or two:
6) Has anyone heard anything else about the T4?
7) I played around with an Audya for about 3 minutes total, so I really know nothing about it, but I'm wondering if a lot of the people who were previously using Korg's and Yamaha's moved over, or if it was mostly people who were using Ketron's previously.
Thanks a lot!!

#282891 - 03/09/10 09:43 AM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by ytlevine:
Thanks all for the responses so far, and sorry if I caused any sort of fight here...
Looking for more opinions, and another question or two:
6) Has anyone heard anything else about the T4?
7) I played around with an Audya for about 3 minutes total, so I really know nothing about it, but I'm wondering if a lot of the people who were previously using Korg's and Yamaha's moved over, or if it was mostly people who were using Ketron's previously.
Thanks a lot!!

Wait till Musikmesse 2010 is from March 24 to 27. Then you will know about a Tyros 4.

#282892 - 03/09/10 12:28 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Wait till Musikmesse 2010 is from March 24 to 27. Then you will know about a Tyros 4.

There will not be a T4 untill late 2011l, as noted before, yamaha has a 3 years release cycle on these products

Tough i am expecting them to release a 76 notes T3 pro.. There has been so much nagging about the 61 keys only, so they can't be that iognorant and not release a 76 key pro version?

Which makes me wonder what other pro feautures a T3 pro would have above the normall T3, can't think of anything but a few more SA2 voices that would fit intoo Yamaha's concept...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#282893 - 03/09/10 01:07 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I bought a Tyros 2 new when it was Yamaha's flagship/ top of the line keyboard. In retropect I sometimes I had bought both mid priced keyboards from both Yamaha and Korg. For some things the Yamaha works better, other things a Korg would better suite me. I guess having to learn two OS would be a pain though, and really that time would be better spent developing as a musical skills.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#282894 - 03/09/10 01:07 PM Re: Tyros 3, Tyros 4, and Pa800
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I had a phone conversation with Yamaha a while back, and they said that basically, the 9000pro 76 sold in such low numbers, and most other 76 arrangers sell very poorly compared to 61's or consoled up 'home' 88's that they honestly have NO intention of producing a 76...

We few pros and gigging 76 arranger players are such a drop in the bucket, as far as Yamaha are concerned, they don't even CARE that we HAVE to go Ketron or Korg or Roland even if we DID want a Yammie in the first place...

But anyway, at least we can be grateful that a FEW companies care more about what their customers actually WANT than the almighty bottom line...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online