SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#281580 - 02/17/10 11:25 AM Two more Premium Style demos
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/?p=2011

If only they would get rid of the compressed sound they could be really top notch, as it is IMO they are fine for an MP3 player but if your used to live music, they suck big time. (When will Yamaha get out of the poor quality MP3 sound rut)

Bill

#281581 - 02/17/10 12:13 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What we need is for some member that has purchased these to post quick style only demos (no RH) with the T's compressor switched off, and the drums and bass bumped a hair. I've got a sneaky feeling that some of Yamaha's compressed sound comes from having that on... and being mixed a bit light on the drums.

Considering their market (home players) this makes sense for them, but I'm sure they are hurting their sales with some of the pro's by making the demos so undynamic...

#281582 - 02/17/10 01:56 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I don't think Yamaha's can't sound more dynamic Diki. I have listened to many demos and even the Tyros 3 sound very weak and cheesy in my ears. Only good for elevator music.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-17-2010).]

#281583 - 02/17/10 02:21 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I just downloaded both styles...very nice, and both very useful, especially RosenPop...they sound great on the S910...perfect for my next CD.

Now, it's off to the elevator....I knew the music business had it's "up and downs" but this is ridiculous.

Ian

PS...guys, don't get mixed up and try playing on an escalator...they say it's brutal.

#281584 - 02/17/10 02:22 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Thats what happens when you put a 15+ year old sound engine in a keyboard.

AWM2 so needs to die at this stage.

My 2 cents.
James

#281585 - 02/17/10 02:29 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
FransN Offline

My last Yamaha keyboard was the Yamaha PSR 730 and this keyboard already use AWM2 and the XG voices. Now many years later they still use the same sound engine and are more expensive then in the past. How to make profit

#281586 - 02/17/10 02:38 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Plenty of hit music made on that 15 year old engine, James. Particularly for more classic styles, what's WRONG with the engine?

Now, the samples themselves, or the way they are programmed and played, yep, that could maybe do with an upgrade, but in all fairness, for preset patches, what really needs to be changed on AWM2 (that's what a T3 uses, right?)..?

For sound designers, synthscape creators, players of cutting edge musics, perhaps the engine alone can make all the difference, but I can't for the life of me think what an ENGINE upgrade is going to do to help a blues style, or some Bigband, etc..

Better samples, more dynamic velocity curves and velocity cross samples (all doable with the engine they have) would all make a noticeable difference in the drum sound (which basically sets the tone for the whole style), but an engine upgrade without addressing the core issue of better samples in the first place wouldn't really help, IMO...

Hey, Ian, when you've finished riding the elevator, how about showing us what CAN be done to make Yamaha's more 'live' sounding? I'm pretty sure it can be done...

#281587 - 02/17/10 02:50 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yamaha's AWM2 is a classic...why fix it if it ain't broke?

Add SA1 and SA2 voices to the mix, and you've got the classic, and yet, contemporary Yamaha sound.

Keyboard Magazine (March 2010) said, "Sounds are among the best available in
any keyboard. Yamaha’s Styles for live
solo performing are the best in the business."

And to conclude the review...

"Still, it’s hard to argue with success,
and as it is, the Tyros continues its reign as
the benchmark of stage arrangers."

You guys need to get out more...expand your world a little.

Ian

#281588 - 02/17/10 03:00 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
FransN Offline

But Ian you said that some voices on the Roland GW8 sounded old. And some people also said this about the Korg PA50 who use the Triton engine. And both instruments has a younger sound engine then Yamaha. And about the reviews they get paid by Yamaha to write a good review. That also belong to their marketing success. And they can write what they want but I trust my own ears.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-17-2010).]

#281589 - 02/17/10 03:04 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Beakybird Offline

These styles have been around for a while. I have the T2 version. I don't know if someone passed them along to me or if I had purchased them.

To my ears and on my keyboard, these styles sound great, especially the 70's bossa.

I only wish they were brand new styles that I don't already own.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online