SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280305 - 01/31/10 04:56 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi Johnny,

The psr s910 is hands down a much better machine than the Tyros 2!

To me the only 1 thing that the Tyros 2 has over the PSR is the keybed...

I had the Tyros 2 for a year or so and straight away after playing a few styles and sounds on the psr u can tell the difference in sound.

The drums are much more punchier and crisp.
the analog t8 and t9 kits are a big improvement over the "dance kit"

The synth basses, synth voices and pads are far better as well.

I am very surprised how many good usable synth sounds there are in this 'mid range' keyboard. I have a Motif XS 6 which has not been switched on since I purchased the PSR S910.

just as Ian said - the Mod wheel works for most of the synth and pad voices as a cut off filter! this board is definitely the first PSR which you could classify as a semi synth arranger.

I doesnt have the granular sound editing that the Korgs and Rolands have but to me the sounds are already spot on! Only minimal editing is required for some voices.

Just to add - I am using the Logitech Z2300 speaker system as well. I wish there was a speaker mute button on the PSR but I figured that you just need to stick a guitar jack into the headphone port to mute the speakers

I havent mucked around with the USB recording or MP3 playback yet but should do very soon.

-Nick

#280306 - 01/31/10 05:52 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Hi Johnny,

I doesnt have the granular sound editing that the Korgs and Rolands have but to me the sounds are already spot on! Only minimal editing is required for some voices.

-Nick

Yes but I don't use my Korg PA500 to better the sounds because that isn't necessary but to create whole new sounds. That is what a synth is all about.

#280307 - 01/31/10 06:26 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

I havent mucked around with the USB recording or MP3 playback yet but should do very soon.

-Nick

It's surprising how much the basic editing, "Voice Set", can affect the sounds...you've got control over Filter, Amplitude, LFO(with Pitch, Filter,and Amplitude modulation), and Envelope Generator.

Stacking two synth voices and detuning is cool too.

All it takes is a bit of imagination.

Certainly more than enough editing for an arranger, because, as you say, the synth sounds are already excellent.

The Audio to USB is one of my favorite features...no need of a fiddly HD...use a "no-moving-parts" flashdrive...the instrument records to the USB device in WAV, and it's then easy to upload to your laptop or PC and burn to a CD or convert to MP3 and email to your friends or upload to a forum.

The multi pads are great as well...there are quite a few new ones.

The PSR-S910 easily rivals TOTL models, and is better than some, and it really lacks nothing I'd need in an arranger.

Ian

#280308 - 01/31/10 07:11 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
As a Korg Pa2xPro owner and fan of the "Songbook" feature on the Korg, the new MFD feature made the s910 a worthwhile upgrade. Add that to what I perceive as better drums and overall sound I'm happy I made the move to the s910.

I had been using my Korg Pa2xPro at my assisted living facility gigs for the last couple of years. Shortly after upgrading to the S910 from the s900 this past October I spent some time with the s910 getting it tweaked for my use at those facilities. Based on Thursday's gig, here's what I posted at the PSR forum this past week after using at a facility I've been playing at regularly:

As the saying goes, " beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I use to own a 3000 and it was a great board, but for me I prefer the s910. Here's my experience at today's gig.

It's at an upscale retirement home that I have played at regularly the last 4 years first using the 3000, Tyros 2, then the Korg Pa2xpro. When I played there during 2009, the AD always commented how much she liked the Korg Pa2xPro and what an impressive keyboard it was. Today was the first time I played there this year and used the S910. Everyone was just blown away by what they heard coming from the s910 thru the Bose Compact. I started with about 15 people in the room. By the time I finished there were about 85 once they heard the s910 they seemed to have come out of the woodwork to listen to the music, that included staff members who normally don't normally come to listen.

Disclaimer: This does not mean I will part with the Pa2xPro.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-31-2010).]

#280309 - 01/31/10 11:48 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just think they were responding to how well suited the Yamaha styles are for that 'senior' crowd... Korg always struck me as better contemporary styles, especially smooth jazz, and trip hop, acid jazz, sort of 'hip' styles (not 'broken hip' styles! ), but Yamaha have got that 'oldies' thing down cold....

#280310 - 02/01/10 03:06 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]I just think they were responding to how well suited the Yamaha styles are for that 'senior' crowd...

Diki, Once again your insight in my opinion is correct.

Senior Crowd;
1-The Best Technics –Gone
2-Second best Yamaha
All other keyboards fall below. Each time I played Korgs and Rolands I had the same feel, they were missing the Senior Crowd.

I have managed to get some KN7000 flavor from my Tyros3, no easy job but it’s close. I guess Yamaha tries to please all and I feel there is no affordable keyboard that does it all so my choice Ty3.

IMHO, John C.

#280311 - 02/01/10 04:20 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I debating whether to upgrade to a S910 from S900 but is it really worth it, besides MP3 player, what else really make the s910 stand out better than the S900. I don't want to upgrade for a few new right hand sounds and 1/2 dozen new styles.

thanks for your responses.

#280312 - 02/01/10 04:35 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
... Korg always struck me as better contemporary styles, especially smooth jazz, and trip hop, acid jazz, sort of 'hip' styles (not 'broken hip' styles! ....

Funny, except that I now belong to the 'replacement hip' crowd . I agree with the Korg/Yamaha styles assessment. I never think of going to the T2 to look for a drum pattern to use for a rhythm track. I probably should. I could midi the drums into the SonicCell (or G7) or the DM10 module and with some tweaking, some of the Yammy patterns might sound pretty good. Has anyone tried midi-ing the Yammy drums out to something else with better samples? How did it go? Would it be easier just to try tweaking what's there?

chas

#280313 - 02/01/10 05:15 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
I debating whether to upgrade to a S910 from S900 but is it really worth it, besides MP3 player, what else really make the s910 stand out better than the S900. I don't want to upgrade for a few new right hand sounds and 1/2 dozen new styles.

thanks for your responses.

The PSR 910 has the following:
- Mega Strings and the new S.A Strings (from T2)
- Mega Trumpets and the new S.A Trumpets (from T2)
- the new accordians (from T2)
- the new Organs (from T2)
- new drum kits (from T3)
- new basses (from t3)
- new pads (from T3)
- new synth voices (from T3)
- new multipads (from T3)
- better voicing for the guitar chord playback
- TFT Screen (crystal clear!)
- better quality keybed
- New Effects.
- overall the board sounds much punchier and clearer than the T2 and PSR S900.

Its not just 'a few new voices for the right hand". its essentially a whole new keyboard.

I dont own a Tyros 3 but looking at the specs and features - here is what the Tyros 3 has that the PSR S910 does NOT have:

- FSX Keyboard
- sliders / faders
- S.A 2 voices
- New Grand Piano Voices
- New styles (which can be tweaked to play in the S910)
- the bigger fold up screen
- ability to layer 3 voices in right hand
- Sampling capability

maybe more that I have missed...?

good lucki!

-Nick

#280314 - 02/01/10 05:58 AM Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Tyros3 also adds an 80 gig HD with 2 track audio recording.

Special DSP Block for styles and more effects.

USB 2.0 Technology: USB-to host and 2 x USB-to device.

Three assignable pedal inputs.

Loop Send: (L/L+R, R), Aux Out (Level Fixed): Selectable
Loop Return: (L/L+R, R), Aux In (Level Fixed)

The Tyros3 does not have built in speakers...speakers are optional.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online