PSR S910 - Fantastic!!

Posted by: Nick G

PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/28/10 02:30 PM

it arrived yesterday and i was up till very ridiculous hours playing it last night / this morning. (I am feeling extremely tired right now at work in the office)

comparing to a Tyros 2 - The PSR is definitely a better sounding board.

I play alot of synth / trance / electro music and the S910 has definitely been given a huge upgrade since the Tyros 2 in that area.

it has way more better pad voices, synth leads, dance hooks, synth basses and drum kits.

it is definitely punchier and more crisp sounding that the Tyros 2 - and this is on the "flat" EQ setting.

the key feel is still soft and spongy but none the less the quality of the key bed is much higher than the previous PSR models.

I have a Motif XS and there are definitely sounds taken straight off the Motif XS and thrown into the PSR S910.

to sum this board up, its like a Tyros 2 which has been upgraded to a much better range of synth sounds, basses and drums but with a softer key feel and no after touch.

every other voice from the Tyros 2 is in the PSR S910 (so far).

one cool thing i found when you browse through the sound category folders is a folder called "Legacy". it has all the legacy voices off previous PSR and Tyros models!!

cant wait to get home tonight to keep jamming on this keyboard!

-Nick
Posted by: Mystic Jammer

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/28/10 02:37 PM

I also have a 910 for a month and IT IS a fantastic thing, at first i was very unhappy about the keybed soft and all whitout the aftertouch but i'm getting really use to the feeling of the soft key and i don't really miss the aftertouch as i'm too busy doing music

So congratulation for your new keyboard, i hope it will give you lots of nice momments!!!

MJ
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/28/10 04:58 PM

Congratulations Nick...I'm pretty struck on the S910 as well.

It does have the T2 voices nailed...and it also has the same style engine as the Tyros3.

I like the action a lot...it does take a bit of adjustment coming from a weighted or semi-weighted action, but I really love how smooth and fast it is.

Check out PSR-Tutorial for more styles.

Ian
Posted by: jamman

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/29/10 12:38 AM

concert guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSLLqUbhcA&feature=related

synth demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DoGRMJMSKg&feature=related
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/30/10 11:21 AM

Nick congratulations on the s910. I had a Tyros 2 and I'm liking the s910 more than the T2, but I do miss the T2 action. Good luck with it!
Posted by: beachbum

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/30/10 08:20 PM

Wow! My impression is like going from the psr2000 to the 2100 not that thrilled with it myself.. Glad someone loves theirs… Kind of like the 900 more since I think the concert guitar played better for some reason and the mic and vocals sounded better when running the board.. I set all the setting the same but wish I’d never would have paid the $600 to upgrade really not worth it…
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/30/10 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:

Wow! My impression is like going from the psr2000 to the 2100 not that thrilled with it myself.. Glad someone loves theirs… Kind of like the 900 more since I think the concert guitar played better for some reason and the mic and vocals sounded better when running the board.. I set all the setting the same but wish I’d never would have paid the $600 to upgrade really not worth it…

Everyone I guess has their own impressions, but mine are quite different.

If anything, many of the voices sound better on the S910. From my recollection, the ConcertGuitar is identical as is the vocal processor. I would guarantee you that there isn't one iota of difference in the vocal processor except that the harmonizer has an option for choosing your vocal registry.

The S910 has many more additional voices over the S900 when compared to the PSR-2100 over the PSR-2000. Besides, the special voices that have a ! after them, there are dozens of new other voices, especially new synth voices.

There's the excellent screen which is way better than the old screen. There is the new style format, making the guitars come more alive. Because of this and the new voices, the S910 can play all of the T2 and T3 styles although a few of the T3 styles require a little bit of tweaking.

The S910 is one awesome board.

Beakybird
Posted by: Mystic Jammer

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/30/10 10:06 PM

Verry difficult for me it is to refrain myself but i will not talk about the 910 keybed lol

MJ

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/30/10 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

it has way more better pad voices, synth leads, dance hooks, synth basses and drum kits.

it is definitely punchier and more crisp sounding that the Tyros 2 - and this is on the "flat" EQ setting.

k

Nick,

Many of the new synth voices also respond to the mod wheel, which opens and closes the filter. They are cool!

I find the S910 not only punchier than the Tyros2, but also sweeter sounding than the Tyros3.

I'm using the preset "Concert" EQ setting with my Yamaha MS60S powered monitors...it also works quite well with the Logitech Z-2300 system, and the Yamaha Stagepas 300/500 PA systems.

Sort of a good all rounder.

Ian
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 03:29 AM

Looking to some of this posts, is the PSR910 a better keyboard to buy than a Tyros2 ???
If so, Yamaha sure done a good job for the T2 owners who might wanna sell/trade T2 for
a T3, the T2 2.nd hand prices will lower a lot when the option is a brand new PSR910 ....

Cheers
GJ

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 04:56 AM

Hi Johnny,

The psr s910 is hands down a much better machine than the Tyros 2!

To me the only 1 thing that the Tyros 2 has over the PSR is the keybed...

I had the Tyros 2 for a year or so and straight away after playing a few styles and sounds on the psr u can tell the difference in sound.

The drums are much more punchier and crisp.
the analog t8 and t9 kits are a big improvement over the "dance kit"

The synth basses, synth voices and pads are far better as well.

I am very surprised how many good usable synth sounds there are in this 'mid range' keyboard. I have a Motif XS 6 which has not been switched on since I purchased the PSR S910.

just as Ian said - the Mod wheel works for most of the synth and pad voices as a cut off filter! this board is definitely the first PSR which you could classify as a semi synth arranger.

I doesnt have the granular sound editing that the Korgs and Rolands have but to me the sounds are already spot on! Only minimal editing is required for some voices.

Just to add - I am using the Logitech Z2300 speaker system as well. I wish there was a speaker mute button on the PSR but I figured that you just need to stick a guitar jack into the headphone port to mute the speakers

I havent mucked around with the USB recording or MP3 playback yet but should do very soon.

-Nick
Posted by: FransN

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 05:52 AM

Quote:
Hi Johnny,

I doesnt have the granular sound editing that the Korgs and Rolands have but to me the sounds are already spot on! Only minimal editing is required for some voices.

-Nick

Yes but I don't use my Korg PA500 to better the sounds because that isn't necessary but to create whole new sounds. That is what a synth is all about.

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 06:26 AM

Quote:

I havent mucked around with the USB recording or MP3 playback yet but should do very soon.

-Nick

It's surprising how much the basic editing, "Voice Set", can affect the sounds...you've got control over Filter, Amplitude, LFO(with Pitch, Filter,and Amplitude modulation), and Envelope Generator.

Stacking two synth voices and detuning is cool too.

All it takes is a bit of imagination.

Certainly more than enough editing for an arranger, because, as you say, the synth sounds are already excellent.

The Audio to USB is one of my favorite features...no need of a fiddly HD...use a "no-moving-parts" flashdrive...the instrument records to the USB device in WAV, and it's then easy to upload to your laptop or PC and burn to a CD or convert to MP3 and email to your friends or upload to a forum.

The multi pads are great as well...there are quite a few new ones.

The PSR-S910 easily rivals TOTL models, and is better than some, and it really lacks nothing I'd need in an arranger.

Ian
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 07:11 AM

As a Korg Pa2xPro owner and fan of the "Songbook" feature on the Korg, the new MFD feature made the s910 a worthwhile upgrade. Add that to what I perceive as better drums and overall sound I'm happy I made the move to the s910.

I had been using my Korg Pa2xPro at my assisted living facility gigs for the last couple of years. Shortly after upgrading to the S910 from the s900 this past October I spent some time with the s910 getting it tweaked for my use at those facilities. Based on Thursday's gig, here's what I posted at the PSR forum this past week after using at a facility I've been playing at regularly:

As the saying goes, " beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I use to own a 3000 and it was a great board, but for me I prefer the s910. Here's my experience at today's gig.

It's at an upscale retirement home that I have played at regularly the last 4 years first using the 3000, Tyros 2, then the Korg Pa2xpro. When I played there during 2009, the AD always commented how much she liked the Korg Pa2xPro and what an impressive keyboard it was. Today was the first time I played there this year and used the S910. Everyone was just blown away by what they heard coming from the s910 thru the Bose Compact. I started with about 15 people in the room. By the time I finished there were about 85 once they heard the s910 they seemed to have come out of the woodwork to listen to the music, that included staff members who normally don't normally come to listen.

Disclaimer: This does not mean I will part with the Pa2xPro.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-31-2010).]
Posted by: Diki

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 01/31/10 11:48 AM

I just think they were responding to how well suited the Yamaha styles are for that 'senior' crowd... Korg always struck me as better contemporary styles, especially smooth jazz, and trip hop, acid jazz, sort of 'hip' styles (not 'broken hip' styles! ), but Yamaha have got that 'oldies' thing down cold....
Posted by: bruno123

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 03:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]I just think they were responding to how well suited the Yamaha styles are for that 'senior' crowd...

Diki, Once again your insight in my opinion is correct.

Senior Crowd;
1-The Best Technics –Gone
2-Second best Yamaha
All other keyboards fall below. Each time I played Korgs and Rolands I had the same feel, they were missing the Senior Crowd.

I have managed to get some KN7000 flavor from my Tyros3, no easy job but it’s close. I guess Yamaha tries to please all and I feel there is no affordable keyboard that does it all so my choice Ty3.

IMHO, John C.
Posted by: mc

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 04:20 AM

I debating whether to upgrade to a S910 from S900 but is it really worth it, besides MP3 player, what else really make the s910 stand out better than the S900. I don't want to upgrade for a few new right hand sounds and 1/2 dozen new styles.

thanks for your responses.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
... Korg always struck me as better contemporary styles, especially smooth jazz, and trip hop, acid jazz, sort of 'hip' styles (not 'broken hip' styles! ....

Funny, except that I now belong to the 'replacement hip' crowd . I agree with the Korg/Yamaha styles assessment. I never think of going to the T2 to look for a drum pattern to use for a rhythm track. I probably should. I could midi the drums into the SonicCell (or G7) or the DM10 module and with some tweaking, some of the Yammy patterns might sound pretty good. Has anyone tried midi-ing the Yammy drums out to something else with better samples? How did it go? Would it be easier just to try tweaking what's there?

chas

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
I debating whether to upgrade to a S910 from S900 but is it really worth it, besides MP3 player, what else really make the s910 stand out better than the S900. I don't want to upgrade for a few new right hand sounds and 1/2 dozen new styles.

thanks for your responses.

The PSR 910 has the following:
- Mega Strings and the new S.A Strings (from T2)
- Mega Trumpets and the new S.A Trumpets (from T2)
- the new accordians (from T2)
- the new Organs (from T2)
- new drum kits (from T3)
- new basses (from t3)
- new pads (from T3)
- new synth voices (from T3)
- new multipads (from T3)
- better voicing for the guitar chord playback
- TFT Screen (crystal clear!)
- better quality keybed
- New Effects.
- overall the board sounds much punchier and clearer than the T2 and PSR S900.

Its not just 'a few new voices for the right hand". its essentially a whole new keyboard.

I dont own a Tyros 3 but looking at the specs and features - here is what the Tyros 3 has that the PSR S910 does NOT have:

- FSX Keyboard
- sliders / faders
- S.A 2 voices
- New Grand Piano Voices
- New styles (which can be tweaked to play in the S910)
- the bigger fold up screen
- ability to layer 3 voices in right hand
- Sampling capability

maybe more that I have missed...?

good lucki!

-Nick

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 05:58 AM

The Tyros3 also adds an 80 gig HD with 2 track audio recording.

Special DSP Block for styles and more effects.

USB 2.0 Technology: USB-to host and 2 x USB-to device.

Three assignable pedal inputs.

Loop Send: (L/L+R, R), Aux Out (Level Fixed): Selectable
Loop Return: (L/L+R, R), Aux In (Level Fixed)

The Tyros3 does not have built in speakers...speakers are optional.

Ian

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 12:53 PM

I have never heard Ian comment that there is a better keybed in the S910... I thought they used the same one.

Perhaps you are reacting to how a NEW PSR keybed feels, compared to one that had been 'played in'?

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 01:03 PM

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-02-2010).]

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 02:34 PM

sorry when I said better keybed I mean: they don't rattle and feel 'cheap'?

so basically you can rub the palm of your hand over them and u don't hear any shakes or rattles. Its a very solid build quality.

but yes the actual action is still soft, spongy and shallow compared to the Tyros / Motif XS line.

the velocity leveling is still pretty good as well.

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/01/10 03:42 PM

Posted by: FransN

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/02/10 07:49 AM

Does Yamaha pay you Ian for all the positive things you said about the s910?

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/02/10 08:07 AM

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/02/10 01:23 PM

Possibly the issue is, how well does the PSR keybed hold up over time? If several users are noting an improvement in the S910's keybed, but Ian (our resident PSR expert) claims no difference, it is fair to assume they are noticing a difference between what they HAD and what they now have...

Key wear can have several causes, but obviously, the first is likely to be force with which it is played (followed by how much smearing and glissing you do on it). If you come from a piano background and DON'T adjust your touch drastically to the PSR's ultra-light feel, perhaps it is not standing up too well to this? There are too many reports of 'better feel' from a new PSR keybed to discount this, I think...

By the way, just to earn the same fee from Roland as you guys are getting from Y&K ( ), I have to say, I have a G70 that has been gigged almost every day by a pretty hard player for five years, now. And I just bought a backup G70 that was virtually showroom, VERY little use. I cannot tell the slightest difference between the two's actions. Pretty good, in my book. Admittedly, after over ten years on my G1000, I thought the G70 felt a little stiffer, but only marginally.

You get what you pay for... (unless you are a WS player, then you get BETTER than what we pay for!)

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/02/10 02:37 PM

whether this helps or not - I had a PSR 3000 which I purchased brand new a few years ago when they came out.

It was years ago but I still notice the better build quality in the PSR S910 keybed over the 3000. The keys are much stiffer and less flimsy than what they used to be.

Re: PSR S910 - Fantastic!! - 02/02/10 03:25 PM