Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#280114 - 01/29/10 03:08 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ian,
know what you mean.
Almost a case of how many different variations can we come up with for a single style.
Maybe they're trying to :
if variation A doesn't work for a particular song, variation b, or c , or d might do the trick, which is ok if the user is able to modify the style or only needs a single variation. haahaa
I'd luv some sort of a phrase data base, something similar to what the kn's had ( easy composer) basically dial a phrase.

Style assembly is brilliant ( I think it's even easier in the korg than it is in yamaha's) but there's no real way of keeping track of the phrases short of maybe creating multipads out of them. My case I have to go thru a number of similar type styles, till I find the phrase I'm after??
If you've go a simpler solution, luv to know about it.
I'm currently trying to incorporate some BIAB phrases into some styles. The 2 bar loops don't always work too well.
It does generate some interesting intro's & endings. Not on a par with arrangers , but still useable.

That's a brilliant term "Frankenstyle" luv it. Do you have any objection to me using it? Really does descibe what we do.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I hear you, Rikki,

My biggest issue with any arranger styles is the way the style transitions from Variation "A"(or 1)through to Variation"D"(or 4).

Most times one or two of these sections doesn't seem to even belong there, or it get so rambunctious I can't use it in a song at all.

That's why I assemble my own styles, or Frankenstyles as I've always been calling them, and I mix parts from within the style, or donated by other styles, until the style does a nice smooth and logical change from one variation to the next.

I even arrange the variations so that the first two, "A" and "B", correspond to verse 1 and verse 2, and variation "C" becomes the bridge and/or chorus, finally winding up with variation "D" for the final verse; basically the way a song is usually arranged.

I even use the intros as 4 or 8 bar variations, maybe if a song has a special section where the drums drop out or only the guitar plays...and many times I change an intro to become a fill/stop, because when you go to an intro while playing, it does it's cycle, and then the style goes back to the section you were on beforehand.

Style assembly is very easy to show someone, but very hard to put into words on a forum or in an email, so most of my style assembly/editing tutorials are done at my followup clinics.

I can spend hours editing and assembling styles...it's very easy to do on the Yamaha once you get used to it, and there are probably better style editors on the competitor's products, but, most people I show how to do the procedure, have no trouble at all afterwards...I often get newly assembled styles from my clients, and I'm happy to say, they do a great job of them.

But, there are still quite a few people who are content to buy or get third party styles rather than roll their own...many buy a new arranger just to get new styles...I only buy if I really like the newer sounds.

I think style creating/assembly/editing is a lot fun and very interesting....I can understand why you like it so much.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#280115 - 01/29/10 03:33 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

Almost a case of how many different variations can we come up with for a single style.
Maybe they're trying to :
if variation A doesn't work for a particular song, variation b, or c , or d might do the trick, which is ok if the user is able to modify the style or only needs a single variation.
That's a brilliant term "Frankenstyle" luv it. Do you have any objection to me using it? Really does descibe what we do.

best wishes
Rikki

Hi Rikki,

I have done styles with as many as seven variations, using all three intros for expansion.

I think you're right about the reasoning behind the different variations in factory styles. You'll probably agree that it's such a waste to use only one or two parts of a four part style, so away we go with the editing.

I keep a bunch of styles, that have the characteristic parts I like, in a folder...perhaps one that has a great strings pad, or another with interesting phrase parts.

I'm almost back at square one having lost everything when my laptop died a few weeks ago, but I'm slowly getting things back again, and I had some things saved on a few flash drives, so all is not lost.

Certainly you can use the term "Frankenstyles"...I coined it quite a while ago, back on SVP World, I believe.

Some days, all I do is edit/assemble styles, and then the next day, test drive them, and find tunes I like to use them in.

I rarely use song specific styles and intros, having more interest in putting my own stamp on tunes.

Ian

#280116 - 01/29/10 04:55 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
I'd stopped visiting SVP world quite a while back so hadn't come across your term.

Sorry to hear about your laptop, such a pain having to load everything back in to a new one.
Nowadays I just load my programs in & all my files are saved to sd card & backed up on usb sticks. I've got an old desktop, an old laptop, ( either could die any minute) & a netbook which I use constantly.

I save my edited intro's/endings as a style.
Some of the korgs waffle on for 10/12 bars, so I cut endings down to approx 2 bars, means I can reuse them. Cutting sometimes works with Intro's also.

I'm still considering saving interesting phrases, drumtracks, guitar strums, piano arpeggio's as multipads.
Possibly easier in the korg than psr. Just a case of copying the style track to a pad ( & vice versa).
This way I can audition the style, mute one of the tracks , & play the pad instead of the track I want to replace.. If it works, I can copy the pad across to the style.
Should work if I ever get around to it.
Keeping track of them , may be the problem. haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hi Rikki,

I have done styles with as many as seven variations, using all three intros for expansion.

I think you're right about the reasoning behind the different variations in factory styles. You'll probably agree that it's such a waste to use only one or two parts of a four part style, so away we go with the editing.

I keep a bunch of styles, that have the characteristic parts I like, in a folder...perhaps one that has a great strings pad, or another with interesting phrase parts.

I'm almost back at square one having lost everything when my laptop died a few weeks ago, but I'm slowly getting things back again, and I had some things saved on a few flash drives, so all is not lost.

Certainly you can use the term "Frankenstyles"...I coined it quite a while ago, back on SVP World, I believe.

Some days, all I do is edit/assemble styles, and then the next day, test drive them, and find tunes I like to use them in.

I rarely use song specific styles and intros, having more interest in putting my own stamp on tunes.

Ian

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-30-2010).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#280117 - 01/30/10 01:55 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
interesting idea, like trigger the extra layers via velocity or something?
I'm no expert, but I still think with arranger playing you still need to have some sort of control over what you play.

SD1+ had some sort of velocity function that changed the style somehow, never could get it to work, or else it was so subtle my tinny ear didn't pick up on it. Can't quite remember what it was supposed to do.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]Maybe we need something like a 'Layers' feature in future arrangers? You start out with a pretty simple part, then layer additional notes on top of it to make it busier, and give the player a control to bring it in and out at will? I know it sounds a BIT like what a multipad can do, but it's more than that...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#280118 - 01/30/10 03:45 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
My old Yamaha PSR 6700 already had something like that. How harder you play how busier the style become.

#280119 - 01/30/10 03:53 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
My old Yamaha PSR 6700 already had something like that. How harder you play how busier the style become.

Yep, it was called "Interactive Accompaniment"...worked pretty good.

The Tyros and PSR have velocity controlled accompaniment..it mostly just gets louder...I don't use it.

Casio had a similar setup to the PSR-6700 in their CT-6000, called "Super Accompaniment" that came out in 1984, so this idea's been around for some time.

I think my old Roland E-70 had something similar.

Ian

#280120 - 01/30/10 04:12 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
FransN Offline

Ahh yes Interactive Accompaniment. One of my cats destroyed that keyboard while throw up over it.

#280121 - 01/30/10 04:23 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Ahh yes Interactive Accompaniment. One of my cats destroyed that keyboard while throw up over it.

A catastrophe.

#280122 - 01/30/10 04:34 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
FransN Offline

Hahaha yes.

#280123 - 01/30/10 06:27 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I hear so much about how bad the styles are and nothing about how to make great use of the styles that we have. It is impossible to make styles to please all but with some adjustments and slight editing and the pads you can come up with some great styles pleasing to you.

For the “I wanna play it as is right out of the box or have to do little to use”, users They must select the keyboard closest to their liking. And that does not make it the best keyboard in the world for EVERYONE.

My opinion of the Tyros 3 --- if you are willing to go through the learning curve the keyboard can do just about anything, it’s great.

IMHO, John C.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online