SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#280084 - 01/26/10 03:43 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have both a Tyros3 and a PSR-S910.

Both will read styles from earlier PSR (back to at least the PSR-2000), but some OTS in the PSR styles may need to be changed to the relevant voices on the T3, because the PSR do not have aftertouch.

Otherwise they play perfectly on the Tyros3.

Congratulations on your new instrument.

Ian

#280085 - 01/26/10 05:51 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Hi Danny,
One word on Tyros 3 "It Works" and it does what it says it does.

Now the only other word is, I wish Yamaha would put out a major drum upgrade for the T3, its what we all want, but for some reason they havn't delivered or can't for some reason????? any one have any ideas's. its a small gripe but overall I love the T3

#280086 - 01/26/10 06:00 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
That's the best kept secret for an ARRANGER that other companies are not getting.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-26-2010).]

To be fair, I think that the companies are very aware of how their styles are perceived by their customers... it's just that they all have a slightly different customer in mind! The very same style which to a skilled player might be seen as too busy might be the perfect amount of assistance to a less skilled player.

Overall, I've always felt that Roland's styles, which seem a bit barebones to many here, are the perfect amount of room for someone determined to PLAY as much of it as they can. Yamaha and Korg, OTOH, seem a bit more determined to play much of it themselves. Of course, you go back to older legacy styles, or user styles that all seem to be fairly stripped down compared to modern arrangers' styles, and you are good to go.

But just like there's no one perfect REAL rhythm section, it's all about the gestalt of the whole thing, not just the support for the keyboard player, different people are going to find the exact arranger style thing quite different depending on how they play...

#280087 - 01/26/10 06:07 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

Hi Robbo, what makes you say that the T3 requires a drum overhaul? Are you comparing them to the Audya??

#280088 - 01/26/10 06:09 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's pretty easy to turn style parts off on a Korg or Yamaha and thin out the style.

On the T3 and S910, you can have the instrument remember what parts were turned off when you select a new style.

Ian

#280089 - 01/27/10 12:34 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Yamaha and Korg, OTOH, seem a bit more determined to play much of it themselves. ...

I disagree.

Using both for years, IMO
Korg styles are more busier.(unconventional fills, too)
But Yamaha's styles are simpler (with simpler bass lines too), (they have this less is more approach).

Roland's styles on the other hand is not as busy as Korg, but the style programming still need to be improved.

#280090 - 01/27/10 01:51 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:

I disagree.

Using both for years, IMO
Korg styles are more busier.(unconventional fills, too)
But Yamaha's styles are simpler (with simpler bass lines too), (they have this less is more approach).

Roland's styles on the other hand is not as busy as Korg, but the style programming still need to be improved.

What a nonsense

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 01-27-2010).]

#280091 - 01/27/10 08:58 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Hi DannyUK,

I also own a Ketron SD3 Module, I can tell you that the drums kick a$# on that, so yes I believe the Audya Drums and Bass would be better, but until this illusive OS4 comes out and its well and truly tested and verified, I'll hold my opinion on that, and any way its still too damm expensive, the Audya i mean

#280092 - 01/27/10 10:21 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
What a nonsense

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 01-27-2010).]

sorry to break a fan boy's heart, but that'a a reality.

#280093 - 01/28/10 04:06 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry to break EVERYONE'S heart, but it's ALL opinion

And it just goes to show how the exact same thing is perceived differently by different people. To be honest, I'm kind of referring to modern styles by the big3... They have, IMO, gotten busier over the years.

And Ian, we've had this conversation before, but to repeat, there's a huge difference between turning the part off, and having the part just be sparser. You know the difference, I'm sure. Just think of some Berklee grad or shredfest student playing guitar in a band, or a seasoned studio guy. A guitar part IS being played, but the studio guy will be able to say what needs to be said in a MUCH more concise and less cluttered way.

Same thing with styles. You still NEED a guitar part, or horns, or a bass line. But how MUCH you need varies drastically for each player.

BTW, see Line 1. of this post...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online