SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#280074 - 01/26/10 10:51 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Glad to see you back Danny.
I had an X1, but it was after they had been out for a year or so. No problems that I can recall.
Since then I have had SD1, two Midjays, SD5 and now Audya, with no problem with any of them, except a couple were damaged in shipping.
I've only had one problem with a Yamaha failing and that was with the PSR S900, which Yamaha promptly replaced. I've had most all the models up through Tyros 2.
I have heard the T3 a lot and it is a beautiful sounding instrument. ONe of my gripes with Yamaha is that they are WAY behind on the vocal harmonizer. It is just bad in comparison to Ketron, Roland and Korg and to just about any outboard unit.
As I've always said, the Ketrons, and to a slightly lesser extent Rolands, sound more like a live band, and the Yammies more polished, like a CD.
My experiences with Korg have not been good. I did enjoy the PA80, but the 800 I had sounded awful. They later issued a complete software upgrade that made it much better, but mine was long gone. My other problems with Korg was finding enough variation of styles and the limited fill-ins.
It comes down to whatever you prefer to hear, and to the features you need or want.
I must add that Roland has made excellent-sounding boards with lots of features. They undoubtedly play midi files best of all, if you are into that. I hope they come up with something new sooner or later.
DonM

#280075 - 01/26/10 11:05 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Danny is that true every Ketron you have bought has broken down, I'm worried even more now.

That can be with any keyboard, Korg PA2X issues, I had a Roland EM2000 with many screen problems, Yamaha s910 has issues. No keyboard is perfect!

#280076 - 01/26/10 11:07 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
That can be with any keyboard, Korg PA2X issues, I had a Roland EM2000 with many screen problems, Yamaha s910 has issues. No keyboard is perfect!

MC, he said every Ketron
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#280077 - 01/26/10 11:10 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Tony, the X1 and Audya are two very different boards so I hope that it won't happen to you. I don't know much about the release of Audya but I remember the X1 was released without properly being tested, it was rushed out of production and it showed.

Sounds a bit like history repeating it's self with the Audya. SSDD.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#280078 - 01/26/10 11:20 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

Nice to be back DonM!

I've never owned a Roland, something that for some strange reason I seem to overlooked same as the Technics, both have always been held in high regard but I've not owned them before.

Not too bothered about midi files as I tend to use them either when my kids want to sing along to a song (when they get bored of singstar lol), or if I want to learn a certain song I like to reference midi files for certain chords.

The main thing for me has always been the quality of styles that's the most important for me and maybe by the history of all that i've owned it's shown that I've tried to find a kb with the best styles but now I think it's so evenly matched, certainly I think both the T3 and Audya have great sounding styles.

#280079 - 01/26/10 11:28 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
mc Offline

Loc: New York
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
MC, he said every Ketron [/QUOTE

Have you owned any other ketrons beside the audya?

#280080 - 01/26/10 11:51 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

Tony, please don't let me experience of the X1 be a common issue across all Ketron's because I am sure they're not! It looks like I was just unfortunate with the X1 as I did buy the early models and usually if there was going to be a fault it would be in the early releases. After that though right up until I sold my X1 it worked fine!

As people have already suggested, no board is infallible or perfect especially at how complex they are becoming.

#280081 - 01/26/10 12:00 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
leezone Offline

Quote:
not had a chance to try Audya as there is nobody local to me where I can find it to try it.

that's the problem with AUDYA (along with high high price)

how can one buy it if one can't try it?
maybe some people can, but ME, i need to test drive it (just like a car)

here in Manhattan, NY you think you'd find it at the major stores like B&H, Sam Ash, Guitar Ctr. Manny's (back in the day), etc.

Nope, the AUDYA's are not here in Manhattan,
Luckily i can drive to Mr. Sound,

I do realize that arrangers are not as big a market as workstations, but there is a reason, and part of it is lack of exposure and publicity, lack of clinics, etc.

Many more people probably would buy AUDYA IF they were available to play @ the music stores next to the Korg PA2X's, Roland's etc.,

just my $.02

#280082 - 01/26/10 12:27 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
I've learn't my lesson with keyboards now, it's not always about how great the styles sound, it's really about how well they have been arranged so you can play along with them, sometimes a little is a lot and I think that's one of the things I started to dislike about the PA1x as some of the styles are just too busy. I've always remembered Yammy's having great styles to play along with because they were never that complex, I think that's the best approach.

]

That's the best kept secret for an ARRANGER that other companies are not getting.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-26-2010).]

#280083 - 01/26/10 03:38 PM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

I have a question. Is the T3 backwards compatible with all Yammy's including PSR's? Or would they need converting?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online