SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279571 - 01/18/10 01:01 AM I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hello Synthzoners,

Age, as well as my wife's nephews have finally destroyed my headphones, some Philips SBC-600 or something I got cheap on a sale.

I read a previous thread by Diki who swears by his Sony 7506 ones and an even earlier thread where George Kaye said that the Behringer 5000 were very good value for their money.

The prices I find are about 35-50 Euros for the Behringer (price is OK) and about 120-140 Euros for the Sony (absolutely top price for me). Sony also has a 7509 model at about 200 Euros (out of price range).

I need something that can last me some years and have a decent sound quality.

Any other recommendations or confirmations on the above?

The headphones are going to be used in conjuction with an old Sansui AU D33 hi-fi amplifier.

Diki,
I see that the Sony has a spiral cord. Is the cord long enough for every day use at about 1 meter (3-4 feet) away, or is the spiral going to pull my head like a leash?

George,
is the Behringer still recommended?

Thank you all.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-18-2010).]

#279572 - 01/18/10 03:03 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cord length is fine, but if I am needing further away, a headphone extension cord is just a few dollars.

I can't honestly advise you about whether there is anything cheaper, better than the Sony's. I have had two pairs since the mid eighties (I think, can't remember back that far these days!) and just honestly don't feel the NEED for anything better. I've tried a few high end Grado's and Ultrasone's, and yes they are killer, but they all were MUCH more than my Sony's.

I find something that good, I tend to stick to it,. Familiarity with response, and a trust in knowing what you hear in the cans will get translated just so to speakers is worth more than jack-rabbiting around all the time in search of something just a bit better. A bit better usually means a bit different, too. And different isn't good, I have come to believe!

A trusted, familiar piece of gear, whether headphones or an arranger is better than an unfamiliar piece of gear, even if it IS a bit better spec'ed.

#279573 - 01/18/10 03:26 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
After reading a previous thread by Diki who advice the Sony 7506 I did buy this headphone and must say this a great sounding headphone much better then my Sennheiser I had before. So my advice is go with the Sony 7506.

#279574 - 01/18/10 06:37 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
just heard the new Shure headphones they sound great< I think on par with the Audio-Technica

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#279575 - 01/19/10 09:49 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

I read that both models above do not engulf your ears, instead they rest on your ears... is that true?

I am used to headphones that engulf your ears. Since i will buy those above sight unseen, i would appreciate a comment on feel.

#279576 - 01/19/10 10:51 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
frankieve Offline

Jan 2010 EQ magazine does a review of headphones:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH440
Shure SRH840
Sony MDR-7509HD
Ultrasone Proline 750
Ultrasone Edition 8
AKG K 271 MkII
AKG K 702

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#279577 - 01/19/10 12:25 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I was looking for headphones and remembered that in a recording studio they used the brand name Grado. A couple of months ago, I did a search on this particular brand and saw that studio phones cost about $1,600. Then I stumbled across a couple of rave reviews about Grado's 2 under $100 headsets. Here is one of the articles. http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306258p1.html
Does anyone know first hand about these 2 Grado headsets, the 60 and the 80?
Ciao,
Jerry

#279578 - 01/19/10 01:12 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
I read that both models above do not engulf your ears, instead they rest on your ears... is that true?

I am used to headphones that engulf your ears. Since i will buy those above sight unseen, i would appreciate a comment on feel.

Yes the sony 7506 rest on my ears. It is a small headphone. But you get used to it.

#279579 - 01/19/10 01:12 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

Reading the review now Frank, but only for informative purposes.

Those things are way above my budget

By he way, the guy mentions "... The Sony is about the same cost as the Shure SRH840, and would be my recommendation if you also expect to do tracking with the phones—they’re durable, and the midrange lift puts the spotlight on the all-important instrumental frequencies...."

What is "tracking" ?

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-19-2010).]

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-19-2010).]

#279580 - 01/19/10 01:37 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
frankieve Offline

It's a term used when you are monitoring recording tracks, either playing or engineering.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online