SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#279596 - 01/18/10 08:11 AM $1,000,000.00 raised in Lexington this week-end!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I am not a basketball fan, like most of the population of the state of Kentucky, even though I had season tickets to UK games given to me by a supplier and have taught off and on at the University for years.

But, John Calipari, the new UK coach, responded to the Haiti crisis by quickly organizing a telathon Sunday called "Hoops for Haiti" that netted $1,000,000.00, with more coming in from the ebay auction of donated memorabilia.

Players manned the phones, famous acquaintences from across the country called to donate, including one of my favorite customers, former coach Tubby Smith, and, by the end of the show, $500,000.00 had been pledged, with John and a major UK benefactor matching the total.

One prize is a dinner at John's house with his family and Ashley Judd, a UK graduate and super supporter (she was in one of my classes a while back-nice lady).

Kind of makes my little $5,000.00 project look insignificant. But, every little bit helps.

And, this "non-fan" has a new respect for the new UK Coach.

Please, please, everybody. Donate what you can. One look at the evening news will be enough to convince you.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-18-2010).]

#279597 - 01/18/10 09:42 AM Re: $1,000,000.00 raised in Lexington this week-end!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
They (some foreign countries) can bash America all they want, but in times of crisis, international or domestic, America can always be counted on to be in the forefront of those giving aid and comfort to the victims of these tragedies. Despite the handful of hate mongers among us, I think the majority of Americans are rooted in a sense of responsibility for our fellow man, especially the less fortunate. JMO.

chas

PS: I think Russ is a great example of what I'm talking about.

#279598 - 01/18/10 01:28 PM Re: $1,000,000.00 raised in Lexington this week-end!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now if there is only some way to stop American corporations going back into Haiti (and the whole third world) and raping these people after we as a compassionate people have helped them, then FINALLY, America might get the love that its' people deserve to receive.

But while we send our money, I GUARANTEE that someone in the Halliburton boardroom is figuring out how to squeeze the maximum profit from this situation... And they are the tip of the iceberg.

IMO, JMO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

#279599 - 01/18/10 02:18 PM Re: $1,000,000.00 raised in Lexington this week-end!
captain Russ Offline

Sadly, I agree, Diki. It's shameful, but that can't stop some from trying to help!

R.

#279600 - 01/22/10 08:42 AM Re: $1,000,000.00 raised in Lexington this week-end!
captain Russ Offline

Dinner with Ashley Judd and the Coach at the coach's home, cooked by Ashley's chef went for $98,000.00!

Man, that's "table grade"! (LOL)

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online