SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277933 - 12/22/09 06:24 PM Do I really need an arranger ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've played an arranger as my main or secondary keyboard for over 15 years now. I originally wanted it to replace the drum machine (TR505) my bandmates were complaining about. I was doing almost all my music with the drum machine until I found MIDI files, then went almost exclusively to using them - leaving the arranger for the odd song that we needed to play.

For the past six months I have been completely solo, still with my arranger but doing about 80/20 midi/styles. I dropped my G70 because of the weight and bulk, but miss the 76 keys and the good keyfeel.

I'm thinking that maybe I should find a nioe digi piano or midi controller and opt out of the styles all together. I still have an Alesis SR16 for drum patterns on the easy stuff and midis for the rest.

What are your thoughts on this subject? What other keyboards might I consider at this time of my life? I'm playing a S900, but just not getting a lot of satisfaction. What about a Juno Stage 76? I would need to be able to play my SMF through the keyboard, as I don't really want to go back to the PC. Other ideas are Sonic Cell, MidJ, something by Casio??? I'm looking for good alternatives to the standard OMB with an arranger keyboard.

#277934 - 12/22/09 07:11 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Cass, the Juno stage 76 has a nice feel and will play SMF/wave/Mp3 files..It also has enough drum patterns 6 variations each..and you can save your own..

The drawback for me..16 parts..that means the part you play on the keys is also a sequence part....This is why I sold mine..

The Prelude is 19 parts..has lyric read on version 2, and can store my G70 styles...only 61 keys but the key feel is not as good as the Juno Stage..but much better than the PSR's ..no matter what Ian says..

If you are keeping your current PSR..the Juno Stage would be a nice keyboard to "play"..It is light and solid..but $1,300..

The Prelude was the better option for me over the Juno Stage..

#277935 - 12/22/09 08:05 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep, agree 100% on the Juno Stage keybed. It is really nice to play. Has a nice weight and has the longer keys that make playing piano pieces more enjoyable.

Unlike Fran I did not have issues using track 16 as my part. The most tracks I have in a midi is 5. I DID miss aftertouch though. One of the reasons I sold mine along with the song list functions were a tad fiddly and the screen a bit small.

Dennis

#277936 - 12/22/09 08:22 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the key feel is not as good as the Juno Stage..but much better than the PSR's ..no matter what Ian says..

If you were right, I'd agree with you Fran, but I'm afraid after trying out a Juno Stage, Prelude and a GW-8 whilst on tour two weeks ago, I can say with all honesty that the PSR-S900 has at least an equal feel to all three, and perhaps better than the latter two.

Now, if you were talking G70, or E-80, I'd be inclined to agree, but you're not, and I don't.

I will agree that the Juno Stage has a better keybed than the GW-8/Prelude...they were very cheap feeling, and I was actually surprised, as I tried the GW-8 several months ago, but I guess I've been a bit spoiled by the S910.

I also thought the screens on the GW-8 and Prelude a bit small and hard to read, especially after being used to the screen on my S910, which is a smaller version of the T3's.

I was also disappointed the Juno Stage did not have aftertouch, a glaring omission on an otherwise very decent synthesizer with a nice 76-note keybed...of course, the other was lack of styles, but if all one plays is SMF and MP3, that shouldn't be a bother...it would work very well for Cassp if he was to go 100% SMF.

This is not because I think Yamaha is the best(which I do), but more of an opinion formed after a very objective assessment of these instruments.

I was thinking about getting a Prelude/GW-8, but the lack of on-board style assembly was a deal breaker for me. Even Yamaha's entry level PSR-S550 has it. Shame on Roland, and may they wake up and add it as an OS upgrade, if possible.

Happy Holiday, and a Merry Christmas to you.

Ian

PS. Strange D&D aren't back yet...I was under the impression the ban had been lifted by now.

#277937 - 12/22/09 09:07 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
miden Offline

I am not sure, and perhaps Ian can confirm..But I do remember reading somewhere that the PSR s910 uses the same FSX keybed that is on the Motif XS6??? (and tyros 2/3)

If so, no wonder Ian likes the S910 because the FSX keybeds are very nice to play (for a synth action that is). I have not played a 910, but I have played the XS keybeds..And very nice they are too!

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 12-22-2009).]

#277938 - 12/22/09 09:26 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
ianmcnll Offline

Dennis, the PSR-S910 does not use the FSX keybed.

In my opinion, the S910 is what the S900 should have been.

It sounds much more robust, and there have been no quality issues whatsoever, unlike the S900, which came out of the gate with a few problems, that were eventually corrected on later models.

The Roland Stage is a really nice synth, and would be great if you were playing in a band, or playing solo using only SMF. I thought it had a really nice piano sound, which went well with the extended keybed(76) and I also thought the organs and strings were very well done.

Aftertouch would have really increased it's desirability factor.

Ian

#277939 - 12/22/09 09:56 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
miden Offline

Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me Ian. I probably misread that information.

Dennis

#277940 - 12/22/09 09:59 PM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
miden Offline

As for the stage, I agree Ian, aftertouch definitely!!

And you are right it was good for using in exactly that manner. Probably would have been a nice fit running the S910 and the Stage together

I did look at the S900 when it arrived out here, and I ws not too impressed so I wnet along a different path. HAD they released the 900 as the 910, after reading the specs, it may have been different. especially as the 910 is using the T3 arranger engine.

Dennis

#277941 - 12/23/09 12:03 AM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I did look at the S900 when it arrived out here, and I ws not too impressed so I wnet along a different path. HAD they released the 900 as the 910, after reading the specs, it may have been different. especially as the 910 is using the T3 arranger engine.

Dennis

I'm pretty pleased with the S910...it appears to be more like the Tyros2 in the sound department, but very much like the Tyros3 with the style engine...it has the new guitar emulation in the accompaniment like the T3.

I find it has the sweeter sound of the T2 as far as the sounds go.

Sorry if I'm straying off topic, Cassp.

Ian

#277942 - 12/23/09 01:41 AM Re: Do I really need an arranger ?
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
For a change I am with Ian here I have had the GW8 and as far as I know this keyboard has the same keybed the Prelude use and I don't like it. A few weeks ago I played the psr s910 and the keys of this keyboard feels and plays much better then the GW8. The main reason I get rid of the GW8 was because of the keys.

And Cassp although the Juno Stage is a great synth you should also listen to the Korg M50. A little bit more expensive then the juno but much more features and the sound engine of the M3. If money is no issue then go for the Yamaha Motif XS7.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 12-23-2009).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online