SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#276675 - 11/23/09 01:34 PM OT: Paypal transaction
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Somebody offered me to buy an HP Touchsmart PC which I advertised in craigslist. She offered $150 more than my asking price plus the S/H. She said she's going to pay thru Paypal and this pc will be shipped to another state for her daughter. She's asking for my Paypal address. Am I need to be concern? Can a buyer retract from buying from Paypal after receiving the goods? Am I missing something here?
Thanks for any input.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#276676 - 11/23/09 02:06 PM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Jim,

Will reply in point form

1. As you are shipping to her, she does not need your Payapl address
2.Once a transaction has been concluded in Paypal, ONLY the receiver can cancel and thereby refund the payment. Even then that can only be at the request of the buyer.
3.What can happen is that the person uses a bank account as the payment method, and then leaves no funds in it to pay the amount. However the usual case with Paypal is a user MUST have a back-up CC with which Paypal can use. In most cases the CC is a verified one, however it is possible, though very unlikely, that someone could use a fake/stolen credit card.

What you could do, is allow say a seven day shipping period just to make sure the funds clear.

As soon as they appear in your Paypal account, transfer them over to your bank account. I am not sure about the U.S., but out here, once in your bank account it is almost impossible to get back without the account holders permission. Ergo, if you clear them from your Paypal account as soon as you can, it would mean Paypal would have to chase her, rather than just take it back from your Paypal account.

Unless you have actually made a payment for goods/services via Paypal, they are NOT authorised to access your bank account for any reason other than to pay for said goods/services.
In other words by using Paypal for a transaction, you are ONLY authorising that particular transaction, and no others.

Dennis

#276677 - 11/23/09 02:18 PM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Synerjim, it stinks to me. Any time someone offers you more than you ask, you'd better be very careful.
She will have to have the email address that you use on Paypal in order to make the payment.
In any case do not ship until you receive payment.
DonM

#276678 - 11/23/09 02:44 PM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
She will need the email address you use as your PayPal account name, but that's all. PayPal has been holding payment until product arrives, but I haven't seen otherwise. You can simply hold the product until payment clears. Tell her that up front.
It does sound a little strange, but then some strange things do occasionally happen. If you can rectify the extra money in your mind then try the above. Otherwise, I agree that anytime someone offers you more than your asking price you should be wary.

#276679 - 11/23/09 04:57 PM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
DONT DO IT! Thats only a scam, nothing else.
I get those on Ebay every day. For my daghter
to Nigeria and what not...imagine a woman from
Africa buying Turkish sounds...if my products
is still available...if i have it in stock...LOLZ!

#276680 - 11/23/09 11:29 PM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I have not decided yet. I have a mixed feeling about this too. But if this is a scam, how can she pull this through if i'll just give my paypal email address?

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#276681 - 11/24/09 05:05 AM Re: OT: Paypal transaction
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Jim

I have an iPod touch for sale and got an identical e-mail. Run as fast as you can away from this transaction. Jim here's how my message read from the buyer at Craigslist:

"I really appreciate the quick reply.I am buying this item for a son of mine as Christmas gift and i will be adding $150 for the shipping and handling.I would have made this transaction locally but am not in town presently i would have come down to your house to discuss on it please get back to me asap with your PayPal email address for me to remit the funds and once payment is being received from paypal you can be able to ship this item i am doing this very fast because i have promised my son that the item will be there soonest get back to me immediately as for us to transact very fast.
i will be offering you $270 for the item,do get back tome with your pay pal email so i can remit the fund ASAP Hope to read from you soon.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®"

The poor English is a clue. I'd be curious to read what your potential buyer wrote.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-24-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online