Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275990 - 11/19/09 07:29 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
My last Yamaha was the psr 730. Great keyboard. But like James said after the great psr 9000 pro they didn't make keyboards anymore that I like.

Actually, I wasn't too fussy about the PSR-730, and I think Yamaha really came to the top of their game with the PSR-2000/3000/S900/S910.

Nowadays, a mid-range keyboard does so much, that it's not necessary to buy a TOTL instrument.

The PA-800 seems to be a great instrument...there are few users on SZ that are very enthusiastic about them.

I'm helplessly hooked on Yamaha, especially the PSR-S910, although I think Korg's idea of the PA-588 would be something Yamaha should seriously look at in terms of an 88 note portable arranger.

Skinny it up a bit more...down to about 30 lbs, and stick the S910's innards inside it...plus use Yamaha's Graded Hammer action like on the very successful P85 digital portable piano.

They certainly can learn from one another....no shame in that.

#275991 - 11/19/09 07:41 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
My 1st arranger was a X4500 ( PSR4600) and there are some things that I have liked about Yamaha. I miss the dynamic arranger feature.

I guess it all goes back to what sound you like and Yamaha hasn't been what I want.

I think 76keys has more versatility.

I am not an Audya owner. I still have my SD1 at home and a SD1plus at my Church. I will get an Audya one day, but waiting for the OS to stabilize.

So when I talk about being spoiled, it really is just my opinion of what I like sound wise.

Yamaha doesn't sound authentic. Until Friday !

#275992 - 11/19/09 07:42 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Actually, I wasn't too fussy about the PSR-730, and I think Yamaha really came to the top of their game with the PSR-2000/3000/S900/S910.

Nowadays, a mid-range keyboard does so much, that it's not necessary to buy a TOTL instrument.

The PA-800 seems to be a great instrument...there are few users on SZ that are very enthusiastic about them.

I'm helplessly hooked on Yamaha, especially the PSR-S910, although I think Korg's idea of the PA-588 would be something Yamaha should seriously look at in terms of an 88 note portable arranger.

Skinny it up a bit more...down to about 30 lbs, and stick the S910's innards inside it...plus use Yamaha's Graded Hammer action like on the very successful P85 digital portable piano.

They certainly can learn from one another....no shame in that.

Yes I also was hooked on Yamaha in the past. Still a little (the motif )
I have listen to the s910 and this keyboard sounds really good. Only I miss something in the drums and basses. Did you listen to the demos of the Korg PA 500 Muzikant Ian? Maby something for next to your S910. A great combi I think

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 11-19-2009).]

#275993 - 11/19/09 07:59 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:

I guess it all goes back to what sound you like and Yamaha hasn't been what I want.

I think 76keys has more versatility.

So when I talk about being spoiled, it really is just my opinion of what I like sound wise.

Yamaha doesn't sound authentic. Until Friday !

Ah well Dan, you win some, you lose some...name of the game.

We all know what kind of sound that we want to hear coming out of our speakers...yours is Ketron...mine is Yamaha.

Authenticity has been the foremost reason why I use Yamaha arrangers....but, that can mean different things to people as well, but it's me I have to please.

Bottom line is to use whatever instrument that inspires you and makes you want to sit and just play...I'm very happy with my little PSR-S910...it hits all the right buttons...I like it more than the Tyros3, and that's saying a lot, as the T3 is an impressive instrument.

Like the Korg arrangers, Ketron instruments are very thin on the ground in my region...they could be more popular further west, but in the Maritimes, the arranger of choice is Yamaha, followed by Roland.

I've never seen a Ketron, let alone played one...hopefully someday I'll have the pleasure.

Ian

#275994 - 11/19/09 08:10 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
124 Offline

Ian, I seem to be forming the opinion that you have an affinity for things Yamaha. But, you know, you need to get away from that frozen outcrop. Can't you get Yamaha to swing you a trip to Tronna on some ruse, and then you could slip away at nightfall to a Korg dealer and try a Pa series board for real. You'll never be the same. Play Sonny, and have your dream come true, bye!

I hope you'll gather that the foregoing is written in jest.

#275995 - 11/19/09 08:14 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Only I miss something in the drums and basses. Did you listen to the demos of the Korg PA 500 Muzikant Ian? Maby something for next to your S910. A great combi I think

Yeah, I know what you mean...Yamaha has a more compressed sound than other arrangers...I just happen to like that sound...it works very well for my needs, and I like how it sounds in recordings.

The Korg PA-500 demos you posted are excellent....an impressive instrument, and indicative of the power of MOTL arrangers...again, I have no way of trying out such instruments...I was looking at the Roland GW-8/Prelude, but until they add style assembly to the OS (necessary for my needs) I'm going to wait.

I may be making a fairly lengthy road trip in the next few weeks, and I'll see if I can find a store that handles Korgs....if anything, they should at least have a PA-500.

Ian

#275996 - 11/19/09 08:29 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
Ian, I seem to be forming the opinion that you have an affinity for things Yamaha. But, you know, you need to get away from that frozen outcrop. .

I'd get away 124, but I'm frozen stuck to the ground...colder than a mother-in-law's kiss here last night.

Actually, I love anything that sounds good. I used Roland arrangers for many years, and I have a Roland synth (Jupiter 8) that I love...I also played a few Technics arrangers, back in the day, and they were very impressive...definitely ahead of Yamaha (and Roland) at the time.

I may be doing some extensive traveling in December, so I might be lucky enough to find a dealer with Korg arrangers.

The local dealer sells Korg digital pianos, and I believe they had a few workstations....but, no arrangers. Not sure why.

I did try out a Roland GW-8, but only briefly, but I still liked it a lot...I'll be keeping an eye on it's OS progress.

I'm very interested in the allegedly super duper Casio that is supposed to make an appearance next year...I used their pro synths CZ-1, and VZ-1, and their sampler, the FZ-1, so I know they are quite capable of making a high quality "pro" instrument.

I hope you realize how difficult it is to play with mittens on...of course, I come up with some pretty wild chords.

Ian

#275997 - 11/19/09 09:34 PM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
My 1st arranger was a X4500 ( PSR4600) and there are some things that I have liked about Yamaha. !

I remember those...they had the roll bars under the keys, in front...very futuristic looking...there was a PSR-4500 as well, but the 4600 was the better instrument by far....they used DASS synthesis, and they were great sounding instruments.

Still, the E-series, from Roland, was very popular...they just sounded better, especially the styles.

Come to think of it, I do remember playing a Korg...it was an I-series...an I-3, I believe...61 keys...it had a wicked Sax sound, and the styles could easily be revoiced...you could have a big band arrangement of a heavy rock style, or a rock band playing a Viennese waltz.

It was my only experience with things Korgian as far as newer arrangers went, although I did play an SAS-20(?) that was a trade in at the store where I worked...it was pretty cool.

Ian

#275998 - 11/20/09 02:16 AM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I went to Guitar Center the other day and they had the T3 on display, priced at $4599.

All I can say is that the keyboard really does not impress me. Not enough change from T2 or T1 for that matter. Dan 01

The Tyros 3 keyboard (and this is about me) can not be played, I think the expression is out-of-the-box and be appreciated. My knowledge of the Ty3 keeps growing and I now understand perimeters/features of this keyboard they are amazing. The possibilities seem unlimited, my sound keeps improving as my knowledge improves. I am more than satisfied with my Tyros3. I do not need instant success, I need a keyboard keeps me involved, that keeps my interest, that keeps me growing, that keeps opening new horizons. Of course this is based on the fact that I no longer play out.

IMHO, John C.

PS, the $4599 price is the highest I have ever seen the Tyros3 offer for.

#275999 - 11/27/09 05:08 AM Re: Played the T3 for 1st time
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I got invited to a Tyros 2 launch party. I was able to play a PSR2 or 3k, Ty1 and Ty2 in quick succession.

I'm a 2k / 3k owner. I can live with the rubbery keybed although it's not a strong point of thed keyboard!

I thought the Ty1 keybed was very lightly sprung and didn't like it at all.

On the other hand the Ty2 keybed was much better and I found it instantly just right to the extent that I could coax some very nice noises out of the SA voices almost immediately.

I can't comment on the T3 but I'd hope its the same as the T2.

Incidentally I've got 2 Italian build Ensoniqs (ESQ1, SD1) both of which use Fatar Keybeds which are built like brick outhouses and have never caused me a problem.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online