SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275726 - 11/16/09 02:24 PM Re: Why an arranger?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Although some people here will honestly and legitimately state that they prefer to work an arranger-based gig (drunk drummer, bigger paycheck, etc.) I think most people would prefer to play 'live' if music was the only consideration. I also believe that for most audiences, it is more exciting and entertaining to watch a good, well-rehearsed band than an equally good arranger-based OMB. JMO.
chas

I don't disagree with anything you said there ...
I just don't understand why people would prefer to watch a DJ ... But OF COURSE I do ... (engage whiney voice) "BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE RECORD !!!" ...

t.

#275727 - 11/16/09 06:10 PM Re: Why an arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I got to meet another arranger player today.
The music store called and asked if they could give him my number because he needed help making a KN6500 talk to a TC Helicon vocal harmonizer.
Anyway, I went to his house to try and help.
It wasn't a major problem, just a matter of a couple of settings in the Technics.
We had a nice visit and I invited him to check in on the forum when he can. The KN6500 has some really good sounds, good styles, excellent operating system and is well laid-out.
Nice adjustable screen too.
He is retired from the military and moved here after Katrina hit New Orleans. I think he will make a valuable addition to our "family". I'm sending him the links now.
DonM

#275728 - 11/16/09 06:23 PM Re: Why an arranger?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I just don't understand why people would prefer to watch a DJ ... But OF COURSE I do ... (engage whiney voice) "BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE RECORD !!!" ...

t. [/B][/QUOTE]

No one is there to "watch" a DJ. They are there to dance to his music. Likewise, when we play for dancing, nobody is there to watch us, they are there to dance to our music.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#275729 - 11/16/09 06:42 PM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You answered my question, just fine, Chas. You can also type a lot better (faster) than I....I have to pause ever so often, and wipe up the drool.

Whilst I do enjoy playing with my buddies, most, if not all the gigs with them , are jam sessions....which is fine, as I always seem to pick up a few new licks, and, it's fun, but not fine, if I want to pay for my oil, and food..

The arranger lets me play when no one else is available...it will rehearse anytime I want, for as long as I want, and do the tunes that I want.

It will play at the tempo I want, and will also be at the volume I choose.

I know, I, I, I, I....only thinkin' of me...well, sometimes that's a good thing, if I want to be playing a lot.

I can also play in any style I want...country, jazz(y), pop, R&B...and I can practice my piano, and organ chops by making an SMF and playing over it...as long as I'm not doing bass-lines, the 5 octaves are fine...if not, I'll midi the S910 to my piano.

Getting away from playing with others wasn't entirely my idea...I live in a small town, and there's not a big pool to draw from, especially for players who want to play in the same, or even some of, the genres I like.

Like I said on another thread, the arranger is my multi-purpose tool, my Swiss army knife...it can entertain me for an evening, as well as entertain an audience for some remuneration.

You are fortunate to find people to play with, and to gig on a schedule that is comfortable with yours.

What I am surprised about, is that you don't have a B-3 at home...unless you and your buds rarely play/jam or practice there, although I must say, in your defenCe, the Nord C1 sounds pretty well as close to a Hammond as anything I've ever played...even the action is a real joy to play.

I tried one through a Traynor K4...pretty darn good Leslie sim...the K4's stereo really brings out the realism...and, it is LOUD....you can really get it to scream on the top notes, like a B-3.

There I go, digressing again...

#275730 - 11/16/09 06:54 PM Re: Why an arranger?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Diki got "suspended"? Why?

If he's not here any more, then neither am I.

Sad to see another forum ruined by stupid over-"moderation".

If you didn't know then you haven't been around here much when Diki and Dnj's childish bickering hijacked numerous threads. 99% of people here are only too aware of what went down and why I gave us all a break from their antics.

And that is not to say that they are both not here ANYMORE. They are just taking a short hiatus from the forum and will be back.

Make sure you are fully aware of the facts before you start accusing me of "stupid" over moderation. Don't go off half cocked without knowing what went on. Many of the problem postings were removed at the time they became a problem.

In the 11 years I have been moderating this forum in this format I have been accused of under moderating a number of times by people that would prefer I was more hardnosed. This is the first time I have been accused of overmoderating. What on earth would make you jump to that conclusion? I always bend over backwards to let you all draw your own lines. It is only in the rare cases that people are incapable of doing that that I need to step in. And even then it is almost always a temporary suspension just to allow cooling off. But of course you already knew it was only temporary as I already said that in the posting you were referring to.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275731 - 11/17/09 12:20 AM Re: Why an arranger?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

the Nord C1 sounds pretty well as close to a Hammond as anything I've ever played...even the action is a real joy to play.

Try the KeyB http://www.keyborgan.com/product_keyb_duo_eng.html

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275732 - 11/17/09 03:58 AM Re: Why an arranger?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill, I don't know if this organ is even available in the states. In any case, as much as I like the drawbars, given the weight and price, the Nord C1 would still be my hands-down choice for gigging. For a home instrument, I would probably only consider a real B3.

Ian, I sold my last Hammond when we moved to Hawaii (and bought another 'chopped' one while there). As I've said in previous posts, when I sell the house I currently have on the market, I will purchase the best vintage B3 I can find/afford to put in my rec room. I will also be replacing my Yamaha upright with the best 5-6ft. Grand that I can afford. The small amount of 'jamming' we do, we usually do at the drummers house (one reason I want a DM10 kit for my studio). The ability to carry the C1 under one arm (I'm 6'4", 200lbs) makes moving it a non-hassle. I would still use the C1 to jam with at home, even if I had the B3 (my wife would probably confine the jamming to my studio - she has spent a lifetime stopping the migration of my music 'stuff' to the rest of the house ).

I've gotten quite comfortable with the Nord C1 and never give a thought to using anything else (XK3c, Diversi, KeyB duo, BX3, etc.) for gigging (or even pleasure playing or recording). I'm really a happy camper.

chas

#275733 - 11/17/09 06:30 AM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Bill...the KeyB sounds and looks terrific...the distortion is warm and convincing, as is the rotary sim, but, I don't think we'll see one in the local music stores here in Canada....but maybe it will happen...certainly worth a look/listen if they do make them available here.

Chas...thanks again for the explanation.

I figured you would be the one person I know that would want a real B.

The Nord really impressed me, as you might have garnered by my posts, and at 33 lbs, the convenience of having two manuals is pretty much the best out there. The Hammond XK "System" is too expensive, and too fiddly for gigging...the C1, being all-in-one, is a better design.

The C1's rotary sim through the stereo K4 almost sounded like a Leslie "moving" air...the sound seemed to "scatter" around the room...easily the equal of the pricier XK3c system, and far better than Roland/Korg/Yamaha simulators.

I might get the cabinet painted black...really...wouldn't be too difficult...although, the red is a "classy" red, and looks much better in person than in pictures....I think I could get used to it...I got used to the "silver" colored arrangers, which I disliked a lot when I first saw them.

If I was band gigging I'd get a C1, and the C1 would also be better for recording, as mic'ing a Leslie is an art in itself, and on stage, it is also a compromise at best.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275734 - 11/17/09 11:24 AM Re: Why an arranger?
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
This is a great subject and I think we are all reading bits of our life story in the replies so far.
I've always been fascinated by orchestras, big bands. An arranger puts me in the driving seat, I am a musician in the orchestra as well as conductor and no matter what I play the "band" follows me.
I am now a big fan of arrangers but we all have do a good job with these great machines.
Lads,keep up the good work.

Frank

[This message has been edited by Mockie (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275735 - 11/17/09 11:29 AM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mockie:
I've always been fascinated by orchestras, big bands.An arranger puts me in the driving seat I am a musician in the orchestra as well as conductor and no matter what I play the "band" follows me.

Exactly, Mockie...sideman, conductor, sax player, piano player, guitarist..we can pretend to be them all....and the band always plays what we want!

It's hard to be lonely when you play an arranger keyboard.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online