SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#277136 - 12/03/09 07:27 AM THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
bucho2004 Offline

Loc: london
Hello everyone
I have been following your comments on this site for quite some time now, although almost never posting anything I always found the little squabbles and quarrels you have about opinions on keyboards especially arrangers quite entertaining, and somewhat amusing.
Any way I have decided to write this. And would like any opinions if you agree or disagree with my analysis.
Before I begin I would like to say that all my previous keyboards were Yamahas (psr330, psr740, psr2000, and my last psr3000. I’ve never gave it a second thought about owning something different, because at the time I thought Yamaha was superior to anything else out there. I see a few members on this site (won’t name names) trying so hard at every opportunity to defend and praise their yammies, and when someone mentions something negative about a different make say (korg, roland, and the infamous Audya) they are immediately there joining in. And I HAVE TO SAY THE OTHER KEYBOARDS OWNERS ARE NOT AS BRUTAL, and I am sure there are things they don’t like about Yamaha arrangers, also they know , like I myself have recently found out, that OTHER keyboards IN CERTAIN AREAS, HAVE HUGE ADVANTAGES OVER YAMAHA.
And if you don’t give them the chance that they deserve, you will never know what they are.
I am glad I did, and now I know the truth???
P.S I am a proud owner of a ROLAND GW 8 and I will write a review soon of what I prefer and don’t prefer over my Yamaha psr3000.
And although I bought the GW 8 for a third of the price of my psr3000, after spending some time with it (it has every right to be compared to higher priced keyboard.)

#277137 - 12/03/09 07:34 AM Re: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I purchased a Roland Prelude version2 ..two months ago..and I feel as you ..The Prelude competes with boards twice the price...

I should also write a follow up to my "first impression" comments, a while back..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Preluded/reviews/

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 12-03-2009).]

#277138 - 12/03/09 07:40 AM Re: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, I've never owned a keyboard that I didn't absolutely love--they were all great. And, I've owned Korg, Yamaha, Roland, and several other brands. They all had excellent features, all were mid price range keyboards and all were used extensively.

Someone else recently posted something about love/hate relationships with keyboards. I never owned one that I hated, some had features that others did not have, but with a little work you learned ways to work around those shortcomings.

Currently, I still perform daily using a PSR-3000, which I love working with. It does exactly what I want, it sounds excellent in my hands, and from my perspective it's a real workhorse machine that I'll continue to use until something earthshaking comes along. And, when that new, earthshaking keyboard does come along, the last thing I'll be looking at is the brand name--it doesn't make a bit of difference if it does what I want it to do.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277139 - 12/03/09 07:50 AM Re: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Bucho, I look forward to your review.

#277140 - 12/03/09 07:59 AM Re: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You're right, bucho, the GW-8 is a marvelous instrument...so much so, that I very nearly bought one.

It's still on my list, but I'm not getting it until they add style assembly to the OS...if that is actually possible.

Most of the opinions on this site about gear come from knowledgeable people..there are a few who just like to bash for no reason, but they are in the minority.

Some own only Roland and believe they are the only way, some own Yamaha or Korg, and think that as well.

I use what I like...if a Roland (or Korg) keyboard can add to my playing enjoyment, I will get one.

Since there are no new MOTL and TOTL Roland arrangers being made, I'm stuck with the Prelude/GW-8 as my only choice (unless I buy second hand), and, as I said above, I won't buy one until it does what I need it to do, which is be able to create/assemble styles on-board the instrument itself.

In regards to the "infamous Audya"...the more people complain about it, and discuss it's shortcomings on this site, the quicker Ketron will perform the fixes, as no manufacturer wants bad publicity.

Congratulations on your new instrument, and welcome to the forum.

Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online