SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#275405 - 11/08/09 04:39 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
And I'm on my way to Costco as soon as the store opens. One thing I've always heard is that you can't OD on vitimans, as the body simply discards any excess it can't use. My wife has been bugging me for years to take vitamin supplements anyway, since I'm not a big fruit and veggie eater. Thanks for the tip and reminder, Gary.

chas

#275406 - 11/08/09 05:55 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Be careful taking Vitamin A in large doses...10,000 IU a day is usually enough for most people...too much Vitamin A can be toxic, especially if you have liver disease.

I take two natural source Halibut Liver Oil capsules every day...each has 5,000 IU of Vitamin A, and 500 IU of Vitamin D...I also take a separate 1000 IU tablet of Vitamin D twice a day.

One of my Martial Arts instructors was (still is, actually) a doctor who believed in an on-going Vitamin regimen to guard against diseases and/or poor health.

This is what I take every day...check with your own doctor before taking any vitamins, as they might interfere with any medications.

Two 1000 mg Vitamin C tablets (time release)...one in morning, one at bedtime.

Two Halibut Liver Oil Capsules...same times as C.

Two 1000 IU Vitamin D...same as above.

One Vitamin E Capsule 400 IU...(D-alpha)...be especially careful with E if you are on blood thinners or blood pressure meds.

One Calcium Magnesium Tablet, that also contains 25 mg Zinc...Zinc is good for the prostate....Calcium is absorbed much better when combined with Magnesium.

One Vitamin B 50-Complex.

I also drink two large glasses of Welch's 100% Pure Grape Juice (the purple stuff) every day...the grape seed extract (Welch's is nearly the only brand that has it) is good for circulation and also the prostate.

Some Vitamins, like A can be toxic...some like E, can interfere with meds, so it's best to consult a doctor familiar with vitamins...a lot of them are not...they get very little training in nutrition.

I learned that my bowel problem was due to the stress, and life style conditions, that occurred whilst looking after my uncle for three years...he had Alzheimer's, and I was the only caregiver.

My doc told me that it was because of my otherwise strong immune system, the Martial Arts training, and, the fact that I didn't smoke or drink, that I was able to survive a very dangerous and life-threatening situation.

So it's my opinion, and my doctor's, that Vitamins supplements are good, and my regimen works for me, but not for everyone...be safe, and consult your doctor first.

By the way, the cost of the vitamins I take works out to about $2.00/day...pretty cheap insurance.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-10-2009).]

#275407 - 11/08/09 06:42 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you Google Vitamin D Levels you'll find lots of great information about studies that have recently been done on this. Among the best took place at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080811195629.htm

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275408 - 11/08/09 07:40 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
While vitamin D, also called the sunshine vitamin, is normally absorbed through the skin by exposure to sunlight, as we age the process is not very effective. It's also not effective when we live in northern climates

Hey there, Gary... another reason to move to the Sunshine State (Fla).

Congrats on your retirement experience and especially on the vitamin D discovery. Wow, what a find! You were due for a break... now stay healthy, you old goat!

Glenn
(another old goat)

#275409 - 11/09/09 06:41 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Glenn,

I've been trying to get my wife to move to Florida for 25 years--she refuses to budge from the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Must have something to do with the kids and grandson living here.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275410 - 11/09/09 08:44 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Congrats, Gary. Respect and appreciation from those you work for is a major deal. Well earned, friend.

BTW, the "fellow writer"/college prof in me says I should let you know that "Complement" in your headline should have been "Compliment".

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-09-2009).]

#275411 - 11/09/09 02:42 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Thanks Glenn,

I've been trying to get my wife to move to Florida for 25 years--she refuses to budge from the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Must have something to do with the kids and grandson living here.

Cheers,

Gary

Must have something? It's probably everything...

#275412 - 11/10/09 07:59 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
One thing I've always heard is that you can't OD on vitimans, as the body simply discards any excess it can't use.
chas

chas ... don't bet on that ... as I understand it, there are some vitamins that can be quite harmful in overdose ... just like buying a kb, CHECK IT OUT first ...
t.

#275413 - 11/10/09 08:11 AM Re: The greatest complement of all...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:

Bottom line: For those of us that sing, and sing well, our vocals are the primary instrument--the keyboard is secondary at best. It doesn't seem to make a bit of difference which keyboard you play. No one seems to pay much attention to the keyboard when you're singing.
Cheers,
Gary

You hit the nail on the head, Gar ...

I have more often been complimented about my voice than my playing ... I don't think I play BAD, but I also don't think there is anything remarkable about my playing ... my solos are always right around the basic chord progression ... But I try to use my voice as the lead instrument as you say, and it most often results in compliments about the vocals ...

Funny thing, playing a cocktail reception for a wedding on Friday night, I did an instrument medley of bossas and a woman passed by and told me that it really sounded 'pretty' ... there was no word after 'pretty' so I guess she didn't mean 'pretty bad' ... and if someone is going to say something about my playing, there no doubt are a lot worse things than "pretty" ...
t.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online