Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275069 - 11/03/09 03:15 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
It doesn't MATTER where it was assembled...

It matters where and who DESIGNED it. Yes, Italian manufacturers with no Japanese parent company have a disadvantage when it comes to the sound engine in the arranger (but it seems Ketron still manage to make good ROM sounds), but this is like getting a Ford engine and sticking it in an Italian chassis and body.

It isn't even REMOTELY American after THAT...!

Korg may make the chip that makes the sounds, but the Italians make the arranger out of the chip. Same with Roland. Personally, after hearing abut how Roland tried to move development AND production of arrangers back East, I am more and more convinced that the reason we are seeing so little new product is that the Japanese learned that it is MUCH harder to make a good arranger when you don't have the experienced arranger developers (who tend to be mostly Italians, or at least Europeans) on hand...

Just look at how hard they tried with the GW-8 to pretend that it isn't an arranger in the first place You can't make a good arranger using people that don't even LIKE arrangers, one would think!

The Japanese make great synths. The Italians turn them into great arrangers...

I think this was Dom's problem. He MIGHT have made a great arranger if he wasn't working so hard to try and make a great synth. If somebody else had provided a finished, mature sound engine and samples, he could have concentrated on JUST getting the arranger right...

'For the want of a nail'...

Yamaha seems to manage it well without Italy

#275070 - 11/03/09 03:35 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
mc Offline

Loc: New York
The japanese R&D team also speak Italian....

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275071 - 11/03/09 03:36 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The lone successful exception. But aren't the Yamaha UK team very involved in their design and stylings?

But... if you are into painting all manufacturers with the same brush, wouldn't Casio be the exception to your exception? There's as much rubbish coming out of Japan as Italy, IMO...

#275072 - 11/03/09 03:40 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yamaha seems to manage it well without Italy

Yes, it seems that way.

Roland's initial move to Italy was purely economic...labor was cheaper than in Japan...methinks Korg moved for the same reason.

Of course, nowadays, the same reason applies for keyboards being assembled in China.

Roland and Korg are very small companies when compared to Yamaha....and Yamaha is under the Nippon Gakki umbrella.

Korg was saved from oblivion by Yamaha some years back, and there are conflicting opinions that they still have a percentage of Korg's stock. Korg made a few FM synths during that time.

Yamaha bought out Sequential Circuits (of Prophet-5 fame), and later sold it to Korg, who used the latter's VS technology to make the Wavestation

In total keyboard sales (including pianos), Yamaha has about 60% of the market...the rest is divided up among Roland, Korg and Casio.

I'd like to see more Italian influence in Yamaha arrangers...Diki is right, they were the ones that took it to the pro level.

That's why the Audya is so musical and it is popular, even with all it's bugs and shortcomings.

#275073 - 11/03/09 03:50 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
FransN Offline

They (Ketron) aren't popular here in the Netherlands.
Most popular here are Yamaha and Roland and Korg ofcourse. Diki I live in Europe and can tell you that Italy make crappy stuff. There cars are rusty there washing machines too etc etc. Only Italian women are not crappy they are HOT. Germany make good stuff. You better buy a Wersi.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275074 - 11/03/09 04:10 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So much OPINION disguised as FACT, FranS (maybe it's just having 'Fran' as part of your handle? )...

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'd MUCH rather have a Ferrari than a Suzuki... Put it this way: I'd rather have a hot Japanese girl next to me in my Ferrari, that a hot Italian girl next to me in my Suzuki

Then there's the food, the architecture, the history...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Peace out...

#275075 - 11/03/09 04:19 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
FransN Offline

Quote:
So much OPINION disguised as FACT, FranS (maybe it's just having 'Fran' as part of your handle? )...

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'd MUCH rather have a Ferrari than a Suzuki... Put it this way: I'd rather have a hot Japanese girl next to me in my Ferrari, that a hot Italian girl next to me in my Suzuki

Then there's the food, the architecture, the history...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Peace out...

Nope it is Frans. And Suzuki isn't the only Japanese car. They make sport cars you know and very beautiful ones too and cheaper then the Italians just as the Japanese keyboards are all cheaper than the overpriced Audya and the rest of Ketron crap. I prefer a Lexus or Nissan or Toyota or Mazda or Honda or Suzuki with a Italian women. They are much prettier then the Japanese women. Oh and Diki don't you need to go to the Roland forum to continue your discussion with Colleen or did you chase her away too just as Fran.
Here is something beautiful from Italy. Tip: Not the Singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYLk5lY3Aho

#275076 - 11/03/09 04:19 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
124 Offline

Jeez. What is this, a (dis)United Nations forum all of a sudden? It's sure moved a long way from First Gig with an Audya.

#275077 - 11/03/09 06:25 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:

Peace out...

Actually, the Chinese did all of this and more long before the Romans and Japanese. There's lots of documentation available on this subject(s), but one of my favorites is a book titled Fusang . I've read this particular book at least three times, my children and friends have also read it, and all were enthralled by what the Chinese have not only accomplished, but additionally, they were amazed at just how many inventions the Chinese brought to the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275078 - 11/03/09 06:30 PM Re: First gig with the Audya
FransN Offline

The Romans were only good in killing and raping women.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online