First gig with the Audya

Posted by: skude

First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 03:59 AM

Hi folks
Don't feel like putting more "gas on the Audya fire", and I know I will ruin the day for many of you, but anyway Had my first gig with the Audya, after years with Korg changing to Ketron I was a little stressed. Still beeing a Korgy (at least in my band)I just can say that for my kind of music and for me only using styles, the Audya did a complete "Knock Out" on my PA800.(please notice the "for me" ) It was almost like having a drummer and bassplayer right there, The live guitar sounds really good. I got so much good "feedback" from people, I never knew so many of the dancing and drinking crowd really listen to what comes out of the speakers. Several musicans was at the gig, they had never heard the Audya live, they were really suprised how good it sounded. One came up on stage while I was playing just to se if I was using styles. Had my wife with me to this gig, she is worst than Simon Cowell if she dont like my performance (I mean on stage ). She really liked what she heard and she also got lots good reponse from people, for my performance. I have put together a sound, a pad and a elpiano, here I was using this sound and this guy comes up to me,
"Oh man" you have this wonderfull old D-50 "Stacato Heaven" sound in your KB. People are listening, and thats great. I use to have the D50, today I did a search for the sound, found an mp3 and it's really very similar, never thought of the D50 when I made it. For those of you that dont like what you're reading this might help a little. When I turned on my Audya to start playing, the sound from the "Count In" was gone, had to do a restart and it was fine all night. Looks like my Audya has a kind of 2 steps turn on . I will go for the Audya next weekend also, I sure hope it will be replay of this gig.
skude
Posted by: cgiles

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 04:37 AM

Great. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a 'good' gig. Glad the Audya is working for you, however, the 'double turn on' problem would really stress me out; why? because it's not behaving like it's supposed to, and that would create all kinds of doubts (in my head) about it's reliability and whether or not that was a precursor of other 'problems'. I would definitely be on the horn with Ketron and 'pray' that it's a simple, easily rectifiable system glitch. Good luck.

chas
Posted by: Irishacts

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 06:34 AM

Good for you.

Quote:
Don't feel like putting more "gas on the Audya fire", and I know I will ruin the day for many of you, but anyway

You also shouldn't be worried about the likes of that. It's Ketron's own fault and flaming them over it will do them world of good. They wont be so quick to ever push an unfinished product out the door ever again because if it.

Quote:
Oh man" you have this wonderfull old D-50 "Stacato Heaven" sound in your KB

Ahh yes, a classic. Here's a demo of that sound. http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20D-50/Audio/Factory%20preset%20demos/61%20Staccato%20Heaven.mp3

Talking about D50 sounds. If any KORG M3 users are reading this, the sound Enya used in Orinoco Flow is from the D50 also (Pizzagogo), and I've made made a version for the M3 & OASYS here. It's as close to the real thing as you will get on any modern synth.
http://www.korgforums.com/support/oasys/orinoco.zip

Here's a quick demo of me playing a few notes. http://www.irishacts.com/misc/orinoco-flow-v2.mp3

Regards
James
Posted by: DonM

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 06:57 AM

I've had the same crowd reaction, but no problem with the count-in sound. I normally don't use the count-in anyway, but I had a guitar player working with me Saturday, and used it for his benefit.
DonM
Posted by: leezone

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 06:58 AM

Ketrons and especially AUDYA sound fuller, more "live", and generally cut through your PA like NO OTHER ARRANGER.

I have tried Korgs, Rolands, and KEtron, except Yammy, but i know what the result would be with Yamaha

as far as Stacato Heaven, NO OTHER keyboard can reproduce it, not even the latest Roland keyboards,

the D-50 is a classic, and that is why i will keep mine forever...
Posted by: Nedim

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
They wont be so quick to ever push an unfinished product out the door ever again because if it.

If they ever push a product out at all again...

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
as far as Stacato Heaven, NO OTHER keyboard can reproduce it, not even the latest Roland keyboards,

the D-50 is a classic, and that is why i will keep mine forever...

The D50 or the Audya for that matter are by no means special in anyway that they are the only two keyboard able to produce the Staccato Heaven patch.

I haven't found a patch I wanted that I couldn't recreate yet.

Regards
James
Posted by: FransN

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:43 AM

Ketron sound metallic and thin. Oh and a good synthesizer (Korg) can recreate any sound.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:43 AM

Crap double posting again

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 11-02-2009).]
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:55 AM

Quote:
Good for you.

Here's a quick demo of me playing a few notes. http://www.irishacts.com/misc/orinoco-flow-v2.mp3

Regards
James

James,

About what percentage of your arranger use involves playing with styles?

I heard a few of your previous demos (which were very good, by the way) and you were basically playing full keyboard, or playing over a Karma style background.

For instance, when I gig, I use styles (mainly my own assembled/edited 16-32 bar versions) and I was wondering if and when you do gig "live", what kind of setup do you use, and what type of background (SMF, or styles, for instance) do you employ?

Are you using a Korg PA type arranger and an Oasys, or just the latter?

Ian the Curious
Posted by: DonM

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Ketron sound metallic and thin. Oh and a good synthesizer (Korg) can recreate any sound.

I hope this is a failure to communicate because of language, but despite all the criticism of Ketron, nobody has EVER said they sounded thin and metallic before.
I couldn't make mine sound thin if I tried, and that includes Midjay, SD1, X1, SD5 and Audya.

DonM

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
James,

About what percentage of your arranger use involves playing with styles?

I heard a few of your previous demos (which were very good, by the way) and you were basically playing full keyboard, or playing over a Karma style background.

For instance, when I gig, I use styles (mainly my own assembled/edited 16-32 bar versions) and I was wondering if and when you do gig "live", what kind of setup do you use, and what type of background (SMF, or styles, for instance) do you employ?

Are you using a Korg PA type arranger and an Oasys, or just the latter?

Ian the Curious

Hi Ian.

My Style usage can be anywhere from 0% to 100% depending on the job and how much I'm being paid. Pay me good money and I will use my OASYS to sequence everything, pay me peanuts and I'll just use my Pa1X Pro and a factory style.

For my own original music I'll use a bit of both, but I'll likely create my own styles on the Pa1X and record the style playing different chords into my OASYS Sequencer. From there everything will be sequenced into a full song.

I've no set way of working, I just do whatever is required to get the job done best it can based on the circumstances.

Regards
James.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:36 AM

FransN, either has to get his hearing checked or...
he meant to say "Yamaha" sounds thin...

certainly NOT Ketron, and NOT AUDYA

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:37 AM

or he was pumping his Ketron/AUDYA through his Logitech speakers at his gig
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skude:
.......It was almost like having a drummer and bassplayer right there.....

First, congtratulations! Nice to hear your gig was a big success, just as I'm sure the
next and all other gigs will be as well.

Regarding your comment about drummer and bassplayer, this is exactly how the SD1 make
me feel too, and both listeners and other users has mentioned about it. This is sure a
good thing about Ketron.

Keep on having fun and sucessful gigs!

Cheers
GJ

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:52 AM

Quote:

Lee,

I was much the same as FransN when I had my first beer.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your assessment that Yamaha sounds "thin"...compressed, maybe?

You haven't been listening to and playing the SA voices at all, have you?

You certainly have every right to your opinion, but I'm afraid in this case, and from my own experience...it's just plain wrong.

And regarding thin...the DX-7 sounded "thin" but it didn't stop it from becoming one of the best selling synths ever.

The Korg M1 sounded "thin"(especially it's piano)...sales were very good...probably exceeding the aforementioned DX-7.

It's nice to discuss the relative merits of one arranger's sound to another...but they are just "relative" and will mean completely different things to each type of player.

All this is certain, and anyone who begs to differ, may as well be sitting on the beach in a robe telling the ocean to go away.

So, having cleared that up ....are you getting an Audya?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-02-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 09:09 AM

James
Your D50 demo sure got me to think back to the good old days,(not that long ago, really, or is it?)My setup that time was the DX7 D50 and the Solina strings. I'm not saying my Audya "Stacato Heaven" can be compared with the real thing, never ment to be, but it's a kind of fun when people respond like this guy did. I still have my 01W, also with some nice sounds I think. For sure, I'm not a "pro" in making sounds or styles, but I do have a lot of fun trying to. BTW the "Count In" problem may be solved, I will have to do some testing the comming days to be sure.
skude

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 09:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Ian.

My Style usage can be anywhere from 0% to 100% depending on the job and how much I'm being paid. Pay me good money and I will use my OASYS to sequence everything, pay me peanuts and I'll just use my Pa1X Pro and a factory style.

Thanks James...very interesting...I'm always curious about how other "arranger" player use their instruments.

My experience using styles on a gig is rather the polar opposite of yours...they are my highest paying jobs.

It used to be the other way 'round, when I played solo piano and/or worked as a sideman or studio player.

The Oasys is quite an instrument...beautifully done, and a genuine feather in Korg's cap.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 09:21 AM

Staccato Heaven now in KORG M3 format thanks to me.
http://www.irishacts.com/misc/staccato-heaven.zip

Regards
James

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 10:13 AM

i have stacatto heaven loaded as instrument/samples and use ableton live with laptop and controller to trigger

EXACTLY like the real deal...
Posted by: mc

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 01:40 PM

Quote:

Nope, FranS been on this mine is better than yours BS for a little while now. There must be little to do in the Netherlands.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-02-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 01:51 PM

skude,

glad to hear that the audya is working out for you. good luck, I'm sure everything will workout.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Nope, FranS been on this mine is better than yours BS for a little while now. There must be little to do in the Netherlands.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-02-2009).]

Oh I am very busy here in the Netherlands but it all started on a other thread where some people say that the Audya is so damn good and Korg sounds weak. I just give my opinion just as eveyone else. Korg sound is not weak but very powerful and fat.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 02:11 PM

Quote:

Nope didn't mean Yamaha. Yamaha sound better then Audya except not the drums.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 11-02-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:39 PM

FransN,

and would you say the accomp. on Yamaha sounds better than AUDYA's?

lets say the audio guitar accomp. on audya vs the midi guitar accomp on Yamaha?

if you think Yamaha accomp. is better then you are certainly deaf or like that midi metallic sound, vs the real deal audio guitars

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 07:41 PM

and the bass guitar accomp. sound better on yammy? so it's not only the drums my friend,

the only thing better in my opinion and lots of other synthzoners opinion are those Super-Voices on Yamaha

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:00 PM

Quote:
and would you say the accomp. on Yamaha sounds better than AUDYA's?

lets say the audio guitar accomp. on audya vs the midi guitar accomp on Yamaha?

if you think Yamaha accomp. is better then you are certainly deaf or like that midi metallic sound, vs the real deal audio guitars

I think FransN is referring to Yamaha's Mega Voice realism, if it is the accompaniment being compared.

Yes, Audya guitars are "audio", but so are Yamaha's Mega Voices...they are "audio", because they are audio samples of guitars...the T3 and S910 carry it even further with the new Guitar NTT.

Think of it Lee...you are hearing "real" guitar sounds (recordings) in both cases, except perhaps, that Yamaha's mega sampled voices are more homogeneous when it comes to playing more complex chords...the Audya has to mix two forms of technology to do that successfully, and so far, it is not quite seamless.

The area the Audya excels, is in the drums and percussion....they sound less compressed than Yamaha's, and are almost as "live" as Roland's.

I still think Yamaha's mega voice, and also Korg's DNC are the equal of the Audya...and in some instances, much more flexible....but, that's my opinion...your mileage may vary.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:10 PM

Quote:
The area the Audya excels, is in the drums and percussion....they sound less compressed than Yamaha's, and are almost as "live" as Roland's.

ianmcnll
Roland's Drums more "live" than AUDYA's ???

you're kidding right?
audio drums less live than midi is what you are saying?

maybe i should get my ears checked,
i love my G-70, but AUDYA's Drums kick it's ass big time...

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:24 PM

Quote:
ianmcnll
Roland's Drums more "live" than AUDYA's ???

you're kidding right?
audio drums less live than midi is what you are saying?

maybe i should get my ears checked,
i love my G-70, but AUDYA's Drums kick it's ass big time...

Well, to be frank, Lee, I haven't heard the Audya "live"...in other words, I haven't played it.

I did play the G-70 and E-80, and I think their drum sounds are much less compressed than the Yamaha, but, a lot of people like the latter's tightness....I know I do.

I'm comparing the on line demos I heard of the Audya to the on line demos of the G70...it's all I have to go on, but it does give me at least a general idea of how they compare.

You don't need your ears checked...we all have a certain "sound" we like to hear, and you are drawn towards Audya's percussion...can't say I blame you...it is very good.

The guitars, on the other hand, still have a way to go.

BTW, the Audya's bass is excellent too...very "live" sounding.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 08:29 PM

Quote:
but, a lot of people like the latter's tightness....I know I do.

Ditto
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/02/09 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I hope this is a failure to communicate because of language, but despite all the criticism of Ketron, nobody has EVER said they sounded thin and metallic before.
I couldn't make mine sound thin if I tried, and that includes Midjay, SD1, X1, SD5 and Audya.

DonM

No I agree with you Don , for all the crap we have had from Ketters it's not thin, everthing else I agree with

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:11 AM

I quess I need some oxygen

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 11-03-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:52 AM

Quote:
That thing (Audya) is way to expensive. Waste of money. I never liked that Italian crap Gem, Solton, Ketron, Farfisa.

I think you'll get a big thumbs up from Leezone about the Audya being too expensive.

Sometimes the adage, "You get what you pay for" is true, but with all the bugs and setbacks in the Audya, I have my doubts that it applies in this case.

Now, I could be wrong, FransN, but although Korg most definitely originated in Japan, I was under the impression that their arrangers were made(or at least, assembled) in Italy.

Perhaps you, or someone else, can correct me about that allegation?

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 09:10 AM

Quote:
I think you'll get a big thumbs up from Leezone about the Audya being too expensive.

Sometimes the adage, "You get what you pay for" is true, but with all the bugs and setbacks in the Audya, I have my doubts that it applies in this case.

Now, I could be wrong, FransN, but although Korg most definitely originated in Japan, I was under the impression that their arrangers were made(or at least, assembled) in Italy.

Yes korg pa's are made in Italy and China but Korg is a Japanese brand. The ones I mentioned are a Italian brand. Most Japanese stuff today are made in China yes even Yamaha but that doesn't mean it is a Chinese brand isn't it.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 09:23 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That thing (Audya) is way to expensive. Waste of money. I never liked that Italian crap Gem, Solton, Ketron, Farfisa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------
Korgs Arranger division moved to Italy in 1996 very near to Ketron (down the street from what I was told. I believe the PA50 is made in china but the PA2x / Pa800 are made in Italy.

So if that's the case, Mr. Frans can included the korg to his list of "crap".

ola.......

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-03-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yes korg pa's are made in Italy and China but Korg is a Japanese brand. The ones I mentioned are a Italian brand. Most Japanese stuff today are made in China yes even Yamaha but that doesn't mean it is a Chinese brand isn't it.

I've heard that Korg arrangers are produced in Italy, and from what I understand, that included R&D as well as assembly....much like Roland's arrangers...I'm told by my Roland rep buddy, that their arrangers are produced in the former SIEL plant in Italy...remember the SIEL synths?

Produced can, and usually, means developed, created, designed, manufactured...or all of these terms.

Yes, there were some "junky" keyboards out of Italy....but, there were crappy keyboards out of the USA, the UK, and even Japan back in the day.

Times have changed considerably since the Farfisa, and although they were screechy little buggers, they were pretty reliable...I had a couple.

{Edited to add}...Ahhh...I see "mc" has found some concrete evidence...1996, eh?

I think Roland moved their arranger production to Italy in the late 80's.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-03-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
quote:

It doesn't matter where the Korgs are made it is an Japanese brand not Italian.
I stick with the 3 big ones ( Yamaha, Korg, Roland) because I trust and know them. It's the same with cars. I don't drive European crap only Japanese or Americans. And if you think I hate Yamaha because of some of my other posts no not at all. Their Motif XS is awesome. I wish they put that sound in their arrangers. But a PA800 with a Motif XS also does the job

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:00 AM

Right from Korgpa.com /Arranger History,

"During 1996, Korg did not introduce any new arranger or related product. However the new Korg Italy R&D department was established in Italy to keep focus mainly over entertainment keyboards. The laboratory actually take place in Osimo, near Ancona, in the center-east part of Italy, an area with strong traditions in musical instruments manufacturing, and was intended to support especially the European market and customers".

I guess Korg needed that "Italian Touch" to make a good sounding keyboard.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Right from Korgpa.com /Arranger History,

"During 1996, Korg did not introduce any new arranger or related product. However the new Korg Italy R&D department was established in Italy to keep focus mainly over entertainment keyboards. The laboratory actually take place in Osimo, near Ancona, in the center-east part of Italy, an area with strong traditions in musical instruments manufacturing, and was intended to support especially the European market and customers".

I guess Korg needed that "Italian Touch" to make a good sounding keyboard.

So? Korg PA2x, pa800 and pa500 use the sound engine of the M3 manufactured in Japan. I guess Korg needed that "Japanese Touch" to make a good sounding keyboard. What a BS

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:19 AM

Quote:
So? Korg PA2x, pa800 and pa500 use the sound engine of the M3 manufactured in Japan. I guess Korg needed that "Japanese Touch" to make a good sounding keyboard. What a BS

That's one's opinion, but who really cares. Good luck with your Japanese/Italian hybrid, Make music........

Adeus Pa’

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:20 AM

so when does the mine is better then yours ever stop? eh?

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:29 AM

Quote:
So? Korg PA2x, pa800 and pa500 use the sound engine of the M3 manufactured in Japan.

Actually, it took sending arranger production, and R&D, to Italy, to integrate M3's sound engine properly with the accompaniment section.

Thus giving Korg arrangers that "Italiano" touch.

Maybe Yamaha will end up with a factory in Italy...I know they are designing some of their motorcycles over there.

The most beautiful automobiles in the world were designed in Italy...not the most reliable, but definitely, the most good-looking.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 10:31 AM

Quote:

It's human nature, always will be.

I know plenty places in the world where you have to watch what side of the street you walk down.

Sad, but true.

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 11-03-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

I don't have a problem with people sharing their point of views on arrangers, in some cases I end up learning more about an arranger that I would have frown upon. but there is a fine line between someone views and just being antagonistic. Ultimately it doesn't really matter who uses what. It just matters if the keyboard fits your needs.
Posted by: Diki

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 01:48 PM

Quote:

About the same time that '1,2,cha,cha,cha' (sic) stops, Donny

Or are you telling me your S910 ISN'T better than my G70?

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
About the same time that '1,2,cha,cha,cha' (sic) stops, Donny

Or are you telling me your S910 ISN'T better than my G70?

I think Yamaha made Donny sign an NDA, so you don't have to worry.

One two, buckle my shoe.
....."Buckle your own shoe!"

Who said that?
....."I did. What are you doing with those silly buckles on your shoes anyway?"

Three, Four, shut the door.
....."You shut it--you opened it."

Er . . . five, six, pick up sticks.
....."Why should I pick them up--do you think I'm your slave? Buckle my shoe, shut the door, pick up sticks, next thing you'll be telling me is to lay them straight."

But it's only a poem. . . . Nine, ten, a big fat . . . oh never mind.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 02:38 PM

Quote:
Actually, it took sending arranger production, and R&D, to Italy, to integrate M3's sound engine properly with the accompaniment section.

Thus giving Korg arrangers that "Italiano" touch.

Maybe Yamaha will end up with a factory in Italy...I know they are designing some of their motorcycles over there.

The most beautiful automobiles in the world were designed in Italy...not the most reliable, but definitely, the most good-looking.

Mmm PA 500 is made in China not Italy. Italian cars that no one can afford. I prefer Lexus my friend beautiful, reliable and affordable.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 02:53 PM

Quote:
Mmm PA 500 is made in China not Italy. Italian cars that no one can afford. I prefer Lexus my friend beautiful, reliable and affordable.

Lexus is nice...also the design was heavily influenced by Italian designers...Fioravanti just did the new Lexus LF-A coupe, the new Prius coupe is also of Italian design, and several older cars...the Lexus GS 300/Toyota Aristo.

More than a passing influence.

I'm a Honda Accord guy myself...picked up a mint 2002 Special Edition last year...awesome car.

PA500 made in China?

Probably just assembled there, but the design was no doubt done at their Italian Headquarters...can't see them having a separate one in China.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:07 PM

Quote:
Lexus is nice...also the design was heavily influenced by Italian designers...Fioravanti just did the new Lexus LF-A coupe, the new Prius coupe is also of Italian design, and several older cars...the Lexus GS 300/Toyota Aristo.

More than a passing influence.

I'm a Honda Accord guy myself...picked up a mint 2002 Special Edition last year...awesome car.

PA500 made in China?

Probably just assembled there, but the design was no doubt done at their Italian Headquarters...can't see them having a separate one in China.

Yes Italian design or not the make is Japanese that is what important for me.
Yamaha psr s910 is made in China. Is it a Chinese keyboard then. No and that is what I try to say all the time. The brand is Japanese that is important not who disigne it or in what country it is build. Maby there are Mercedes factories in the USA I don't know but if there are it still is a german car.

And now to more important things.
Must I buy a psr s910 or a Korg PA800? Not sure yet.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:10 PM

It doesn't MATTER where it was assembled...

It matters where and who DESIGNED it. Yes, Italian manufacturers with no Japanese parent company have a disadvantage when it comes to the sound engine in the arranger (but it seems Ketron still manage to make good ROM sounds), but this is like getting a Ford engine and sticking it in an Italian chassis and body.

It isn't even REMOTELY American after THAT...!

Korg may make the chip that makes the sounds, but the Italians make the arranger out of the chip. Same with Roland. Personally, after hearing abut how Roland tried to move development AND production of arrangers back East, I am more and more convinced that the reason we are seeing so little new product is that the Japanese learned that it is MUCH harder to make a good arranger when you don't have the experienced arranger developers (who tend to be mostly Italians, or at least Europeans) on hand...

Just look at how hard they tried with the GW-8 to pretend that it isn't an arranger in the first place You can't make a good arranger using people that don't even LIKE arrangers, one would think!

The Japanese make great synths. The Italians turn them into great arrangers...

I think this was Dom's problem. He MIGHT have made a great arranger if he wasn't working so hard to try and make a great synth. If somebody else had provided a finished, mature sound engine and samples, he could have concentrated on JUST getting the arranger right...

'For the want of a nail'...

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:15 PM

Quote:
It doesn't MATTER where it was assembled...

It matters where and who DESIGNED it. Yes, Italian manufacturers with no Japanese parent company have a disadvantage when it comes to the sound engine in the arranger (but it seems Ketron still manage to make good ROM sounds), but this is like getting a Ford engine and sticking it in an Italian chassis and body.

It isn't even REMOTELY American after THAT...!

Korg may make the chip that makes the sounds, but the Italians make the arranger out of the chip. Same with Roland. Personally, after hearing abut how Roland tried to move development AND production of arrangers back East, I am more and more convinced that the reason we are seeing so little new product is that the Japanese learned that it is MUCH harder to make a good arranger when you don't have the experienced arranger developers (who tend to be mostly Italians, or at least Europeans) on hand...

Just look at how hard they tried with the GW-8 to pretend that it isn't an arranger in the first place You can't make a good arranger using people that don't even LIKE arrangers, one would think!

The Japanese make great synths. The Italians turn them into great arrangers...

I think this was Dom's problem. He MIGHT have made a great arranger if he wasn't working so hard to try and make a great synth. If somebody else had provided a finished, mature sound engine and samples, he could have concentrated on JUST getting the arranger right...

'For the want of a nail'...

Yamaha seems to manage it well without Italy

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:35 PM

The japanese R&D team also speak Italian....

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-03-2009).]

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:36 PM

The lone successful exception. But aren't the Yamaha UK team very involved in their design and stylings?

But... if you are into painting all manufacturers with the same brush, wouldn't Casio be the exception to your exception? There's as much rubbish coming out of Japan as Italy, IMO...

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yamaha seems to manage it well without Italy

Yes, it seems that way.

Roland's initial move to Italy was purely economic...labor was cheaper than in Japan...methinks Korg moved for the same reason.

Of course, nowadays, the same reason applies for keyboards being assembled in China.

Roland and Korg are very small companies when compared to Yamaha....and Yamaha is under the Nippon Gakki umbrella.

Korg was saved from oblivion by Yamaha some years back, and there are conflicting opinions that they still have a percentage of Korg's stock. Korg made a few FM synths during that time.

Yamaha bought out Sequential Circuits (of Prophet-5 fame), and later sold it to Korg, who used the latter's VS technology to make the Wavestation

In total keyboard sales (including pianos), Yamaha has about 60% of the market...the rest is divided up among Roland, Korg and Casio.

I'd like to see more Italian influence in Yamaha arrangers...Diki is right, they were the ones that took it to the pro level.

That's why the Audya is so musical and it is popular, even with all it's bugs and shortcomings.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 03:50 PM

They (Ketron) aren't popular here in the Netherlands.
Most popular here are Yamaha and Roland and Korg ofcourse. Diki I live in Europe and can tell you that Italy make crappy stuff. There cars are rusty there washing machines too etc etc. Only Italian women are not crappy they are HOT. Germany make good stuff. You better buy a Wersi.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 04:10 PM

So much OPINION disguised as FACT, FranS (maybe it's just having 'Fran' as part of your handle? )...

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'd MUCH rather have a Ferrari than a Suzuki... Put it this way: I'd rather have a hot Japanese girl next to me in my Ferrari, that a hot Italian girl next to me in my Suzuki

Then there's the food, the architecture, the history...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Peace out...

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 04:19 PM

Quote:
So much OPINION disguised as FACT, FranS (maybe it's just having 'Fran' as part of your handle? )...

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'd MUCH rather have a Ferrari than a Suzuki... Put it this way: I'd rather have a hot Japanese girl next to me in my Ferrari, that a hot Italian girl next to me in my Suzuki

Then there's the food, the architecture, the history...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Peace out...

Nope it is Frans. And Suzuki isn't the only Japanese car. They make sport cars you know and very beautiful ones too and cheaper then the Italians just as the Japanese keyboards are all cheaper than the overpriced Audya and the rest of Ketron crap. I prefer a Lexus or Nissan or Toyota or Mazda or Honda or Suzuki with a Italian women. They are much prettier then the Japanese women. Oh and Diki don't you need to go to the Roland forum to continue your discussion with Colleen or did you chase her away too just as Fran.
Here is something beautiful from Italy. Tip: Not the Singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYLk5lY3Aho

Posted by: 124

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 04:19 PM

Jeez. What is this, a (dis)United Nations forum all of a sudden? It's sure moved a long way from First Gig with an Audya.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:25 PM

Quote:

Peace out...

Actually, the Chinese did all of this and more long before the Romans and Japanese. There's lots of documentation available on this subject(s), but one of my favorites is a book titled Fusang . I've read this particular book at least three times, my children and friends have also read it, and all were enthralled by what the Chinese have not only accomplished, but additionally, they were amazed at just how many inventions the Chinese brought to the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Gary

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:30 PM

The Romans were only good in killing and raping women.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:45 PM

Yes, and then the Roman Empire ended up being cut in half... with a pair of Caesars!

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:49 PM

Jeez, how old are you guys? Can't recognize a Monty Python sketch when you read one? Have I got to spell out EVERYTHING?

CENTURION: What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?

BRIAN: It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'. (for you, Frans!)

CENTURION: No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!

BRIAN: Aah!

CENTURION: Come on!

BRIAN: 'R-- Romanus'?

CENTURION: Goes like...?

BRIAN: 'Annus'?

CENTURION: Vocative plural of 'annus' is...?

BRIAN: Eh. 'Anni'?

CENTURION: 'Romani'. 'Eunt'? What is 'eunt'?

BRIAN: 'Go'. Let--

CENTURION: Conjugate the verb 'to go'.

BRIAN: Uh. 'Ire'. Uh, 'eo'. 'Is'. 'It'. 'Imus'. 'Itis'. 'Eunt'.

CENTURION: So 'eunt' is...?

BRIAN: Ah, huh, third person plural, uh, present indicative. Uh, 'they go'.

CENTURION: But 'Romans, go home' is an order, so you must use the...?

BRIAN: The... imperative!

CENTURION: Which is...?

BRIAN: Umm! Oh. Oh. Um, 'i'. 'I'!

CENTURION: How many Romans?

BRIAN: Ah! 'I'-- Plural. Plural. 'Ite'. 'Ite'.

CENTURION: 'Ite'.

BRIAN: Ah. Eh.

CENTURION: 'Domus'?

BRIAN: Eh.

CENTURION: Nominative?

BRIAN: Oh.

CENTURION: 'Go home'? This is motion towards. Isn't it, boy?

BRIAN: Ah. Ah, dative, sir! Ahh! No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! Ah! Oh, the... accusative! Accusative! Ah! 'Domum', sir! 'Ad domum'! Ah! Oooh! Ah!

CENTURION: Except that 'domus' takes the...?

BRIAN: The locative, sir!

CENTURION: Which is...?!

BRIAN: 'Domum'.

CENTURION: 'Domum'.

BRIAN: Aaah! Ah.

CENTURION: 'Um'. Understand?

BRIAN: Yes, sir.

CENTURION: Now, write it out a hundred times.

BRIAN: Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.

CENTURION: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

BRIAN: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 06:55 PM

Wow interesting post Diki
Posted by: msutliff

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 07:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

I beat cha, Donny!

-mike

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/03/09 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

I beat cha, Donny!

-mike

WTG Mike

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 03:26 AM

Hi guys
Sorry, I never knew I was putting Jet Fuel on the Audya fire One thing for sure, the Audya can get things going, and that just because of me, a simple gigg'n musican that had a good time with his Audya and his audience That's one good reason for beeing on SZ. Anyway, thanks for all "good wishes" I will always need that, Audya or not No one have to talk to me about arrangers and bugs. I had to fight me trough all the PA80 bugs (and technical problems long after the bugs were gone). After that, all the PA800 bugs (this is my second PA800) I still have both, and now they work very good. I never expected to get a new KB not having bugs, it should'nt be like that, but it is. I can blame my Audya buy on a SZ member he really brainwashed me on another forum, at the moment I'm glad he did, I'm having fun with this machine, whatever good or bad spec's it has. Not sure, but it seems to me that Yamaha has less bugs with new releases, don't know really, my last Yamaha was the DX7II.
Thanks! skude

[This message has been edited by skude (edited 11-04-2009).]
Posted by: Henni

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 03:59 AM

Hi,

My friend has had his Audya now for a month or two. He uses it for studio work and he is extremely happy with it.

All his professional musician friends listening to his Audya are truly amazed and he receives a lot of compliments with regards to this arranger.

It is a good buy - I would motivate anyone to get and use it.

Henni
South Africa

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skude:
Not sure, but it seems to me that Yamaha has less bugs with new releases,

After using the last nine Yamaha models,
PSR 9000, 9000pro, Psr2000, 2100, 3000, Tyros, T2, S900, S910 on stage, I'd have to agree totaly with this statement 100%.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 02:40 PM

Quote:
After using the last nine Yamaha models,
PSR 9000, 9000pro, Psr2000, 2100, 3000, Tyros, T2, S900, S910 on stage, I'd have to agree totaly with this statement 100%.

I've had the s900 for almost two years now and (knock on wood) I haven't found any bugs at all.

But one thing I noticed also the only way Yamaha provides upgrades is via a new keyboard. I would have liked to see free upgrades / bonuses (styles, sounds, mp3 additions) like Ketron, Korg and Roland does. But there are + and - to everything.

I have to say though, I still enjoy my s900 very much.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 05:16 PM

Mc the good thing is Yamaha KBs retain a very good resale value used also...so if you want to upgrade the next model selling it and adding a few more dollars to upgrade is certainly worth it to have one of the BEST Sounding arrangers made on the market today.

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 05:30 PM

I think it was Beakybird (Larry) who worked out what it cost him to upgrade from two PSR-S900 to two PSR-S910 over the period of time he used the former.

It was only a relatively small amount of money per day.

The Big Three, Yamaha, Korg and Roland, hold their value very well...Casio not so good, but still a great alternative, as their initial price is generally lower.

Ian
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: First gig with the Audya - 11/04/09 07:28 PM

Actually, Yamaha provides OS upgrades at no cost. And, if needed, which is rare, you can download it from their website.

As for styles, I believe there is more third-party style files available for Yamaha than all the other manufacturers combined. Yes, Yamaha sells styles as well, but there is a huge number of free, incredible styles available at several websites. Many of these third-party styles are conversions from other manufacturers, thereby providing you with an excellent variety. Keep in mind, however, that only about 10 percent of the converted styles have been properly tuned and tweaked. There are loads of them that have only undergone a very basic conversion and not usable. In this instance, Yamaha's onboard Style Creator program provides you with the tools to transform marginal styles into outstanding ones. It just takes a little work and some creativity.

Cheers,

Gary