Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275029 - 11/02/09 08:18 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Ketron sound metallic and thin. Oh and a good synthesizer (Korg) can recreate any sound.

I hope this is a failure to communicate because of language, but despite all the criticism of Ketron, nobody has EVER said they sounded thin and metallic before.
I couldn't make mine sound thin if I tried, and that includes Midjay, SD1, X1, SD5 and Audya.

DonM

#275030 - 11/02/09 08:33 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
James,

About what percentage of your arranger use involves playing with styles?

I heard a few of your previous demos (which were very good, by the way) and you were basically playing full keyboard, or playing over a Karma style background.

For instance, when I gig, I use styles (mainly my own assembled/edited 16-32 bar versions) and I was wondering if and when you do gig "live", what kind of setup do you use, and what type of background (SMF, or styles, for instance) do you employ?

Are you using a Korg PA type arranger and an Oasys, or just the latter?

Ian the Curious

Hi Ian.

My Style usage can be anywhere from 0% to 100% depending on the job and how much I'm being paid. Pay me good money and I will use my OASYS to sequence everything, pay me peanuts and I'll just use my Pa1X Pro and a factory style.

For my own original music I'll use a bit of both, but I'll likely create my own styles on the Pa1X and record the style playing different chords into my OASYS Sequencer. From there everything will be sequenced into a full song.

I've no set way of working, I just do whatever is required to get the job done best it can based on the circumstances.

Regards
James.

#275031 - 11/02/09 08:36 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
leezone Offline

FransN, either has to get his hearing checked or...
he meant to say "Yamaha" sounds thin...

certainly NOT Ketron, and NOT AUDYA

#275032 - 11/02/09 08:37 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
leezone Offline

or he was pumping his Ketron/AUDYA through his Logitech speakers at his gig

#275033 - 11/02/09 08:46 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by skude:
.......It was almost like having a drummer and bassplayer right there.....

First, congtratulations! Nice to hear your gig was a big success, just as I'm sure the
next and all other gigs will be as well.

Regarding your comment about drummer and bassplayer, this is exactly how the SD1 make
me feel too, and both listeners and other users has mentioned about it. This is sure a
good thing about Ketron.

Keep on having fun and sucessful gigs!

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#275034 - 11/02/09 08:52 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
FransN, either has to get his hearing checked or...
he meant to say "Yamaha" sounds thin...

Lee,

I was much the same as FransN when I had my first beer.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your assessment that Yamaha sounds "thin"...compressed, maybe?

You haven't been listening to and playing the SA voices at all, have you?

You certainly have every right to your opinion, but I'm afraid in this case, and from my own experience...it's just plain wrong.

And regarding thin...the DX-7 sounded "thin" but it didn't stop it from becoming one of the best selling synths ever.

The Korg M1 sounded "thin"(especially it's piano)...sales were very good...probably exceeding the aforementioned DX-7.

It's nice to discuss the relative merits of one arranger's sound to another...but they are just "relative" and will mean completely different things to each type of player.

All this is certain, and anyone who begs to differ, may as well be sitting on the beach in a robe telling the ocean to go away.

So, having cleared that up ....are you getting an Audya?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-02-2009).]

#275035 - 11/02/09 09:09 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
skude Offline

James
Your D50 demo sure got me to think back to the good old days,(not that long ago, really, or is it?)My setup that time was the DX7 D50 and the Solina strings. I'm not saying my Audya "Stacato Heaven" can be compared with the real thing, never ment to be, but it's a kind of fun when people respond like this guy did. I still have my 01W, also with some nice sounds I think. For sure, I'm not a "pro" in making sounds or styles, but I do have a lot of fun trying to. BTW the "Count In" problem may be solved, I will have to do some testing the comming days to be sure.
skude

#275036 - 11/02/09 09:15 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Ian.

My Style usage can be anywhere from 0% to 100% depending on the job and how much I'm being paid. Pay me good money and I will use my OASYS to sequence everything, pay me peanuts and I'll just use my Pa1X Pro and a factory style.

Thanks James...very interesting...I'm always curious about how other "arranger" player use their instruments.

My experience using styles on a gig is rather the polar opposite of yours...they are my highest paying jobs.

It used to be the other way 'round, when I played solo piano and/or worked as a sideman or studio player.

The Oasys is quite an instrument...beautifully done, and a genuine feather in Korg's cap.

#275037 - 11/02/09 09:21 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Staccato Heaven now in KORG M3 format thanks to me.
http://www.irishacts.com/misc/staccato-heaven.zip

Regards
James

#275038 - 11/02/09 10:13 AM Re: First gig with the Audya
leezone Offline

i have stacatto heaven loaded as instrument/samples and use ableton live with laptop and controller to trigger

EXACTLY like the real deal...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online