Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#273925 - 10/20/09 01:54 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Damn, I'm confused, but I think I wanna be a DonM

It's definitly overkill for a nursing hime gig....not too mention all the setting up for an hour show.
Just leave the second BC system
in the car to use only when needed.

#273926 - 10/20/09 02:37 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ok, so what have we learned so far, kiddies? Firstly, that the question may not have been as 'dumb' as some would have you believe. 2. Two Bose systems, whether regular or compact, and no matter how hooked up, will sound better than ONE. Well, Duhhh. Everything else seems to be as much opinion as fact.

If you'll remember, Zuki prompted my question by claiming to not be 'quite' satisfied with the single compact. It was his 'then' opinion that the cure for this was to add another compact to create what he REALLY wanted, which was, a STEREO system with Bose clarity. My impression, at the time, was that he was convinced that the lack of fullness he experienced was due to the monophonic nature of the Bose system, and that nothing short of true STEREO was going to be acceptable. Following a slightly different line of thought, but based on experience, Ian (who now appears headed back to a dual L1 system) seems more driven by the overall sound of the dual system, whether or not a (questionable) stereo enhancement is responsible for the perceived 'fuller' sound.

I think if we could strip away every semblance of 'fanboyitis', we'd probably find that Gary's answer made the most sense. Likewise, DonM, who claims to hear a stereo presentation, but only if the two systems are very close to each ear, AND that it quickly blends together after leaving the speaker source. I'm guessing that you could put two pine trees close enough to each ear and get SOME kind of stereo effect (if only because your two big ugly, worn-out ears aren't exactly equal).

Sooooo, what have we learned? Same thing we knew quite a few posts back. The Bose system sounds great (depending on the venue ), TWO Bose systems (aka Bosi) sound even greater. 'FULLNESS' may be a better quality than STEREO for a PA system (again, in some venues ). Jim (Zuki) is still confused but excess money is clouding his judgement. Bose's marketing and design intent, a chicken in every po.....uh, a system for each musician, would not lead a rational person to conclude that two of these bad boys is the best solution for someone whose primary goal is TRUE, HIGHLY DETAILED, STEREO. Remember one thing. The best PA system in the world is not going to hide a sub-par performance, in fact, it's going to highlight it. GIGO (but with extreme clarity ).

You know what, screw this. I'm going for 7.1 SURROUND. Wonder if it'll sound better with 7 Bosi or .........

chas

#273927 - 10/20/09 03:12 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Now that's funny

#273928 - 10/20/09 03:20 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas,

Have you considered trying two Bose L1's or Compacts?

The reason I'm going for the L1's is that I've used them in the past, and I am familiar with their performance.

All we can do is rely on what we hear, and what we like to hear...if I'm playing a system that makes my keyboard sound at it's best (which happens to be stereo for Tyros3 and PSR-S-series) then I'm going to enjoy the playing experience much more, and also pass this vibe on to my audience.

It's no more difficult to understand than the difference between playing an instrument we like, and that seems to suit our style, and one that doesn't quite feel right.

And, as I always say, we are ultimately playing the speaker. It is the last link...like the vibrating string and soundboard of a violin.

It reminds me of the difference between a real Leslie, and a simulator...one is actually animated and moving air...one isn't.

The Bose in stereo(as most stereo systems would do) gives more animation to the instrument's sound (especially an arranger) and spreads this effect to a much wider degree than a conventional system.

Some are content to use only what is needed ("that's good enough")...others want to their sound at the best it can be, even though they might even be the only ones that notice....some fall somewhere in between.

So, Chas, what have you learned? Do you now have more interest in trying out two Bose systems, to find out what your ears tell you?

Surely they are the final answer.

Ian the Curious

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-20-2009).]

#273929 - 10/20/09 04:13 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Chas,

Have you considered trying two Bose L1's or Compacts?

I'd like to, but unfortunately, that money has already been allocated towards the purchase of a 'nearly new' '58 Edsel.

chas

#273930 - 10/20/09 04:25 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I'd like to, but unfortunately, that money has already been allocated towards the purchase of a 'nearly new' '58 Edsel.

chas

I didn't see a smiley, so are you serious?

#273931 - 10/20/09 04:28 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

no

#273932 - 10/20/09 04:32 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

That's a relief...I thought it might have been the pain killers...

#273933 - 10/20/09 04:46 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas,

Your synopsis of the thread, above, is spot on.

And, don't give up on the Edsel--I would love to have one.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273934 - 10/20/09 04:53 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Chas,

Your synopsis of the thread, above, is spot on.

Gary

I knew you'd say that, Gary...after, all, he agreed with you.

Be careful of '58 Edsel Teletouch transmissions...very problematic automatic.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online