SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#273905 - 10/19/09 05:09 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I must say that I'm not implying that I know more about these systems than Gary....he forgot more than I'll ever know about PA systems.

Plus, he's older....er...more experienced.

All I can do is relate my own experience with each Bose system, and my own years of playing through conventional speakers (in stereo).

I strongly urge that anyone considering two Compacts, to try them out first.

Two of these things ain't cheap, and maybe one will do the trick.

I know, for my own satisfaction, I'll be buying two when the time comes.

#273906 - 10/19/09 06:07 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sometimes Ian and I differ on certain subjects, and this is one of those instances.

This is right off the Bose website:

"Spatial Dispersion™ loudspeaker technology features six small drivers mounted at precise angles inside a slim, vertical enclosure. This proprietary Bose technology delivers nearly 180 degrees of horizontal sound coverage. Sound remains consistent even at extreme sides of the system."

Now, lets look at the technical aspects of their advertised data. If you are a performer, and your system at one end of a square room, using a single system, the coverage is 180 degrees (actually, a little more). It is uniform in volume, it is emitted from 6 tiny speakers facing in various directions, plus the sub, which sits upon the floor.

Now, lets assume that you are positioned in the center of that wall with your keyboard, and lets farther assume that you are situated 6 feet from the wall. Now, if the Bose L1 Compact system is positioned to your right, say about 3 to 5 feet, and a couple feet to the rear, everyone in the room is hearing mono from that source, regardless of where they are in the room. That is a given from everyone that I know using the L1 and L1 compact.

Now, what would be the effect of placing another identical system, one that has 180 degree coverage, one that fills the room equally with different mono sounds from the other side of the keyboard. IT'S MONO! IT'S VERY HIGH QUALITY MONO--BUT IT'S MONO!

I tried this using both my L1 Compact and my standard L1, then set up with a pair of L1 Compacts, the second borrowed from a friend who had the same question about stereo. The sound was definitely fuller, richer, and the quality was unsurpassed by any sound system that either of us had owned at any time. But, it was still mono.

Another friend, who owns a pair of L1 Model II systems set up in a massive hall just north of Baltimore last week. He supplied the system for a Musician's Hall Of Fame Award Banquet and performed as well. The hall was jammed with nearly 200 pro musicians and performers, all of whom said it was the best sound system they ever heard. The systems were set on stage about 15 feet on either side if the instruments and performers. My friend, and the person who put the banquet together, both expected to hear stereo--THEY DIDN'T. IT WAS MONO!

And, when you look at the sound/speaker pattern from a vertical array system, not just Bose, they're all fairly consistent. The coverage, by and large, is about 180 to 210 degrees, and the falloff is minimal at best.

Now, with conventional speakers, the pattern is much more directional, averaging 45 to 50 degrees. Some speakers have a little wider dispersion, but there is probably an equal number of conventional speakers, particularly those with higher frequencies, that have a narrower cone of dispersion. A pair of them, mounted on poles or on the floor, and positioned 10 to 15 feet on either side of the keyboard, would provide a sweet spot of 20 to 30 feet. Don't take my word for it, look it up in Wikipedia under stereo systems. You can also find an enormous amount of information about stereo from dozens of other internet sources.

The most pronounced stereo is achieved by placing the speakers at extreme distances and angling them slightly toward the far end of the room. I've done this using a pair of Peavey 15s with 10-inch horns and placing them on poles about 5 feet high. The stereo effect was awesome, almost like a ping-pong ball bouncing from wall to wall. But, the crowd was much happier when the speakers were moved during the first break and placed just 6 feet on either side of the performers. (I was with a 5-piece, Country Band back then.)

I'm well aware my hearing is shot to hell, but I can still tell the difference between stereo and mono. What I hear, even with two Bose systems, is mono. I will admit, however, that a pair of Compacts, or standard L1s, does sound richer and fuller than a single of either model. For me, though, it does not sound that much better for me to purchase a second system. And, I sincerely believe my audiences would not notice the difference at all. (They're old geezers too! )

This is just MY observation, and the observation of a bunch of pro musicians at a banquet.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273907 - 10/19/09 06:18 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
So to clarify - even though there might be two separate and distinct mono sources, the fact that they are being broadcast in line arrays BLENDS the two signals into a massive mono signal? There is no directivity caused by the two differing signals? OK, works for me (yeah, right)

Gary - you're a guru!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-19-2009).]

#273908 - 10/19/09 06:33 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
zuki Offline

On 11/25 I'll be able to set up two Compacts at a large retirement facility (they have one as a house system).

I think it would be a shame not to have the stereo effect available by using 2 Bose, L/R out from the keyboard.

You mean to tell me there is no panning sounds, as they run left to right? Just the same mono sounds on either side of the room?

It will be difficult for me to really do a test, as they all eat, etc before my performance starts.

I can say that the mono system is really blowing my mind and I could live with just one unit instead of a conventional stereo setup (thought I'd never say this).

I have to do a Bosi test drive though.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#273909 - 10/19/09 06:34 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
travlin'easy Offline

Aw Shucks!

Gary

#273910 - 10/19/09 06:35 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
zuki Offline

Don Mason has 2!

Don, what do you think? Do they sound stereo, like a conventional system. Do 2 units blow your mind vs one?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#273911 - 10/19/09 07:07 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
travlin'easy Offline

Jim,

Sit down at your keyboard and record a very creative midi file, one that has lots of stereo effects and lasts a couple minutes. Put it in your keyboard, fire up both systems, play the midi file and walk throughout the room, listening carefully for those stereo sounds you created. Be objective, make sure that you can actually hear the left channel coming from the left, and the right channel sounds coming from the right. And, if you do some creative panning, you want to hear that as well. This will only take a few minutes, you can play the midi file at a modest level and it will not disturb anyone while they are eating.

If you think you hear stereo, go for two systems. If not, you already know what one system sounds like.

Hope everything works out well for you,

Gary

#273912 - 10/19/09 07:08 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Well, Gary...we'll have to agree to disagree.

I know what I and several pro musicians heard...it was stereo, and it was good.

But, like I said, a person should try a pair out before they buy.

I'm very glad I did, and so were several of the people that bought two.

The L1's had the same stereo performance as the Compacts....they were just louder.

#273913 - 10/19/09 08:04 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
zuki Offline

Here's a post I saw from a 2-year user of 2 Bose systems (for what it's worth):

As regards connecting up two systems, I prefer to run my two L1’s in stereo. I find that they give a much better sound when used in stereo.

Conventional PA systems are (in my opinion) better run in mono because the audience members seated on the left hand side of the room can’t hear the music coming out of the right hand speakers (and vice versa). So stereo sound is all but lost when using a conventional PA in a cabaret room type environment.

However the Bose L1 disperses the sound around so incredibly well, that you CAN run two of them in stereo and everyone, no matter where they are seated in the room, will hear everything. Stereo works really well when using two Bose L1’s and sounds fabulous.

#273914 - 10/19/09 08:15 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

For what it's worth, Jim, that's just what I've been trying to say...they are different than a conventional two speaker stereo system.

I can't explain why they are better...I can only say they sound better...much better.

I'm not a technician...I'm a musician, and I do know what I hear.

You'll understand once you try two.

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online